Continental DWS - Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
^^^^^
thanks for the review-
will continue my search for my next tire. DWS tires are not for me-need ones that last longer along with good traction.
I now have almost 64,000 miles on my yokohama avid 4vs (no longer sold) and recently measured at 4.5mm
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
Well, the DWS are about to come off. I have no serious complaints about them and would consider another set, except several new tires look interesting.

Continental PureContact DWS: nearly identical to ExtremeContact I have now, but biased more toward longer wear with a bit less grip -- compromise that might be worth it.

Nitto Motivo: Ultra High Perf and long wear. Getting very good reviews.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde: considered a Grand Touring tire, but speed rating V (only one notch below Motivo) and very well reviewed for perf and handling on Tire Rack. Also very smooth and quiet.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Jock
Well, the DWS are about to come off. I have no serious complaints about them and would consider another set, except several new tires look interesting.

Continental PureContact DWS: nearly identical to ExtremeContact I have now, but biased more toward longer wear with a bit less grip -- compromise that might be worth it.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde: considered a Grand Touring tire, but speed rating V (only one notch below Motivo) and very well reviewed for perf and handling on Tire Rack. Also very smooth and quiet.
I have 26K on my Conti Extreme DWS, the S part starting to rub off on the fronts , rotated to back . Wondering if I should just get 2 new DWS 's before snow season starts .
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Recently tested the Pure Contact. Very nice touring style tire. Dry handling is not as good as the Extreme Contact, but very quiet and comfortable....this will be a very popular tire.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
haole kama'a-ina

No major complaint with the DWS, but I want to try the new stuff. I found 4 Motivos for $200 less than the Scorpion Verdes and the Motivo is a UHP tire and has a longer warranty.

The Motivos should be mounted up in 10 days or so.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by wifesRDXtech
I have 26K on my Conti Extreme DWS, the S part starting to rub off on the fronts , rotated to back . Wondering if I should just get 2 new DWS 's before snow season starts .
I have Conti DWS and the "S" is gone and the "W" is about more than halfway there. I had the tires on the RDX for about 35,000 miles. I ended up getting a flat last summer and had to purchase two new Conti DWS because one new tire did not match the tread depth of the other 3 existing tires (sh-awd/VSA does not like different tread depth). So I have two new tires on the back and 3/4 worn tires on the front.

I am planning to travel to Steamboat Springs, CO, from ABQ for Thanksgiving and I was going to bite the bullet and get two new tires (plus snow chains) just in case. I think I can still get 2 or 3 winter seasons from all 4 tires if I get the tires now.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
haole kama'a-ina

The DWS are off the car. I have never run a tire down to the wearbars before, but I gave it a try this time. To apply for the warranty, the tires must be worn to the wearbars.

The DWS fell about 13000 miles short of the warranty. My tire-guy submitted the paperwork to Continental. Waiting now to see how they respond.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Jock, what was the verdict from Conti?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Jock - any feedback on the Nittos?

I am at 6/32 left on fronts and 5/32 on the rears on my Conti Extreme DWS. I have 30 k on them looking for replacements soon.

I may just go with the DWS again , looking for other options that have longer wear and just about the same grip as DWS's
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Cruisin'

Im looking for info as well on the Nitto Motivo's, I cant seem to find any good reviews as to how they handle in snow. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the DWS's and the Motivos.

I was looking at the General GMax's as well but the reviews have not been stellar over long periods of time. Currently I have around 35K on the Michelins.

The reviews on the DWS's kind of scare me, it looks like the majority of people love them but there are the stories out there of people going through numerous sets because of the soft sidewalls.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fightnpuma
Im looking for info as well on the Nitto Motivo's, I cant seem to find any good reviews as to how they handle in snow. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the DWS's and the Motivos.

I was looking at the General GMax's as well but the reviews have not been stellar over long periods of time. Currently I have around 35K on the Michelins.

The reviews on the DWS's kind of scare me, it looks like the majority of people love them but there are the stories out there of people going through numerous sets because of the soft sidewalls.
35 k on OEM tires its time for you to get replacements, i got rid of those around 18k and went with the DWS's. Have 30 k on them and, my wife seems fine with them. I drove to NY to NC and back and love them when i was driving in thunderstorms with rain like cats and dogs.

I think im going to pull trigger on conti extreme dws again all around since i have my family in the vehicle all the time and want a decent all season option.

Just wished they lasted longer.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
mrgold35

35 k on OEM tires its time for you to get replacements, i got rid of those around 18k and went with the DWS's. Have 30 k on them and, my wife seems fine with them. I drove to NY to NC and back and love them when i was driving in thunderstorms with rain like cats and dogs.

I think im going to pull trigger on conti extreme dws again all around since i have my family in the vehicle all the time and want a decent all season option.

Just wished they lasted longer.
I saw Conti PureContact with Eco Plus Technology with the same DWS imprint on the tread (6/70,000 warranty). It is rated at an UTQG of 700 AA compared to 540 AA for the old Conti DWS. It doesn't look as "fancy" as the Conti DWS; but, it might give you longer treadlife with the same performance in wet/dry/snow?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

Old 02-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I saw Conti PureContact with Eco Plus Technology with the same DWS imprint on the tread (6/70,000 warranty). It is rated at an UTQG of 700 AA compared to 540 AA for the old Conti DWS. It doesn't look as "fancy" as the Conti DWS; but, it might give you longer treadlife with the same performance in wet/dry/snow?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

Yes I was looking at those , Mavis has them lil bit cheaper than Conti Extreme dws, but read somewhere they really noisy, need to find more reviews on them before I decide but that is my 2nd choice at the moment
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Originally Posted by mike444
Warranty paperwork was submitted back on 10-25-12. I haven't bugged my tire guy about it since late Dec, when Conti was supposed to send a regional guy around. I need to go back and check on it.

The slow response is pathetic. At this point, I wouldn't consider a tire warranty as any useful purchase consideration.

Jock - any feedback on the Nittos?...I may just go with the DWS again , looking for other options that have longer wear and just about the same grip as DWS's
Have had the Nittos for about 4000 miles now. We are very pleased. They are similar to the DWS in many respects, but have a stiffer sidewall and hold up better in turns. So far they are quiet and grip equally well as the DWS in rain and snow. It's too soon to comment on tire wear.

If you are pleased with the DWS, I would recommend the Nitto Motivos without reservation.

Barring any service life problems, I presently plan to buy the Nittos again.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 697 Likes on 539 Posts
Just an update on my Yakohma Envigor Avid. I put about 40K miles on them, will need to be replaced in about 5K miles. Very nices tires! thinking of getting them again.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had a set of the ExtremeContact tires on my car for a few months now. I haven't noticed any savings in gas. I have noticed that it handles better in wet and dry weather, and on the gravel and dirt roads around here. And, I've noticed an overall better ride.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Originally Posted by mike444
Warranty paperwork was submitted back on 10-25-12.....The slow response is pathetic.
It's been seven months now. My tire guy has called Continental repeatedly.

They promise to call back, promise to send someone. Nothing ever happens.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Instructor

I have dws 's on my BMW with 33 k on them and have all 3 indicators still. Wifes RDX has dws's with 30 k on the and 2 tires have the s's worn off.

I am think they will not make it to the 50 K warranty . But think I may get them again for her car and mine as they did great in the rain , snow and dry ground.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Instructor

Ok after 32 k miles the DWS s are off my wife's RDX. After last rotation same side rear to front , they made a horrible noise that did not go away for the last 10 k miles.

I put on today Conti Pure contact DWS eco plus. Very quite, will let you know how they do during the fall and winter in northeast and report back after first tire rotation.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

I put them on my TL, very nice riding tire, but it pulls to the right. Suspension, fame, wheels are straight. Anyone had same issues? Tires have less than 700 miles
Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by slipkord
I put them on my TL, very nice riding tire, but it pulls to the right. Suspension, fame, wheels are straight. Anyone had same issues? Tires have less than 700 miles
I have the these tires on my 06 TSX for +38,000 miles (still show DWS). My TSX is a commuter car and I travel the same route +80% of the time. My main route is on the interstate with a lot of semi-trucks and they sometimes make ruts or depression groves. If one side of my TSX follows in the semis ruts, it seems to pull toward that direction. I've notice further up the interstate the hwy is paved with concrete with drain/traction grooves in all lanes going in the direction of travel (they are not straight). I've noticed my DWS would follow these grooves when the tires were new; not so much now (or I just got use to it and I compensate).

You could also rotate your tires left to right to see if this corrects the problem.

I haven't notice these problems on the RDX. I figure with a larger tire, different wheelbase, wider stance, heavy vehicle, and awd would make the RDX handle differently compared to the TSX.

Last edited by mrgold35; 08-19-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by phrosty
I've had a set of the ExtremeContact tires on my car for a few months now. I haven't noticed any savings in gas. I have noticed that it handles better in wet and dry weather, and on the gravel and dirt roads around here. And, I've noticed an overall better ride.
I agree. Had DWS on for about 10-15k now. I haven't noticed any increase in MPG. I've changed psi every other time to see if anything helps. I don't boost that much and i do mostly 75% highway 25% city. I only get 19mpg average, 20.5mpg on a good week. 32-33psi all around, 91 octane.

Like many others have said about the tire are true. It has good/great wet/snow traction but very soft sidewalls. Turn-in is where you'll notice the greatest difference between oem and dws. As a result, entering corners gets a bit scary at times.

I was a little bit disappointed with the road noise from the car. I wish it were a bit quieter than oem..i feel its almost the same, and i'm comparing worn out oem to new dws.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I just placed an order from Tire Rack for my second set of DWS. I would have to check to see when they were put on to find out how many miles I got out of them, probably at least 30-40k and the service manager today said they were only about halfway worn.

Replacing them this week is not by choice. I was on my way home from work on Monday and got a flat.

It was between the DWS and Alenzas. In the end I didn't feel like taking a chance in not liking the Alenzas, so I went with what I know.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Well, I guess I made the wrong choice.

This is my 2nd set of DWS, and they are nothing like my first. I'm extremely disappointed in these and want to exchange them. They've been on for about 2000 miles and I am experiencing way too much vibration, noise, and most importantly, the vehicle feels very unstable at highway speeds. Handling is difficult and unpredictable and just feels downright unsafe. I'm rather pissed at this unacceptable handling, as most of my miles are on the highway. I really cannot believe this set is so bad, and so different from my first. Not sure what to make of this, honestly.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 206 Posts
Any kind of guarantee from the tire provider? I want to say CostCo and Discount Tire both have programs that let you swap to a different set of tires if you're unsatisfied. Not sure what the limitations are though.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I'm going to look into it. Purchased from Tire Rack just under a month ago, really hoping they will help me out.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
mrgold35

I usually like to take my tires back after they break-in to get re-balanced. I also run about 35-36 psi instead of 32 psi. Mainly because the TPMS alarms in the winter at high altitudes and it helps with a smoother ride.

Have you tried rotating or cross rotating? I had this issue on my TSX and a cross rotation smoothed out the ride.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Good point. I keep meaning to check the tire pressure, maybe they are low. They've been noisy, squishy, and vibrating a lot from day 1 and my patience is wearing thin. But I'm due for an A1 service very soon so I'll have them take a look if I get to the dealer before I give up and swap them.

I think Tire Rack's policy is 30 days from delivery, which is quickly approaching end of this week or early next week.

I'm frustrated. I liked the first set. If I get rid of this set, I'm not sure what to get that will have good wet/dry performance as well as decent in some snow. I may try those PureContact Eco tires...

I wish Bridgestone made the pole positions in the RDX's size. Had them on my TSX and loved them.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Cruisin'

A lot of people push the Conti DWS on this board so I tried them. They are by far the worst tire I have ever owned in 30+ years behind the Bridgestones. Initially they were and continue to be too soft in the sidewalks and after about 10k they became terribly noisy. They also are in constant need of rebalancing. I think people are too willing to overlook all the flat spotting, road noise and lousy performance because of the low price.