Best all-season w/o sacrificing performance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Best all-season w/o sacrificing performance?

OK, I've read the existing tire threads and know the viewpoints of how all-seasons like the DWS or AVIDs handle the snow and poor weather. But I have a different question. I live in Canada and have dedicated snow tires - Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow (which I highly recommend BTW). But I need to replace the OEMs in the spring and don't know which way to go. I still need an all-season given wet weather, early or late season snow etc so I don't want a summer tire. But I do want an all-season that provides the sport feel of the Michelins, nice and firm in corners etc.
So what's the best bet? AVIDs, Duelers, Contis, something else? Or should I get another set of Michelins despite the crappy tread wear and high cost?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cheffip
OK, I've read the existing tire threads and know the viewpoints of how all-seasons like the DWS or AVIDs handle the snow and poor weather. But I have a different question. I live in Canada and have dedicated snow tires - Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow (which I highly recommend BTW). But I need to replace the OEMs in the spring and don't know which way to go. I still need an all-season given wet weather, early or late season snow etc so I don't want a summer tire. But I do want an all-season that provides the sport feel of the Michelins, nice and firm in corners etc.
So what's the best bet? AVIDs, Duelers, Contis, something else? Or should I get another set of Michelins despite the crappy tread wear and high cost?
I bought Bridgestone Duelers at recommendation of tire shop owner I've been dealing with for years based on asking him the same question you are asking. He was correct about sport feel compared to 'crappy' OEM's.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:02 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't understand, you seem to have answered you own question...you know what people think about the most popular all season tires, and you need an all season set....so what's the question again?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Pirelli P Zero Neros, Mich Pilot Sport, Dunlop SPs

The Pirelli's & Mich are continually rated at the top, as is the DWS. Frankly, if weather is still a concern, and you want 'early snow', i really dont see anything other than the DWS going on, as these are superior in all weather conditions other than dry, and judging by Tireracks test, still are among the top in regards to dry handling. What you will lose is turn in response/initial grip (which can be solved in psi to some extent) so, i think you know what you need, now its a matter of your preference? DWS are tops for anything wet or snow while retaining an all-season balance. anything else will give you a harder/sportier feel, but you are losing dramatically in the wet/snow area. Since you have dedicated winter tires, you will retain the winter/wet weather capability of the DWS for quite a long time.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=134
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=119
Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look at the Nokian WR G2. Nobody mentions them, but they are a very good tire. I have been using them for a while and am very happy with them. Considerably cheaper than the DWS, also.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
I don't understand, you seem to have answered you own question...you know what people think about the most popular all season tires, and you need an all season set....so what's the question again?
Question is which all-season will offer the best "sporty" handling given that I won't need them for winter driving.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I have Pirelli P Nero Zero tires and they are GREAT! Very quiet and they have amazing grip in dry conditions. And they perform very good in rain/snow as well. I recommend these for sure.

Best tires I've bought so far.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Pirelli PZero Nero, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
Pirelli P Zero Neros, Mich Pilot Sport, Dunlop SPs

The Pirelli's & Mich are continually rated at the top, as is the DWS. Frankly, if weather is still a concern, and you want 'early snow', i really dont see anything other than the DWS going on, as these are superior in all weather conditions other than dry, and judging by Tireracks test, still are among the top in regards to dry handling. What you will lose is turn in response/initial grip (which can be solved in psi to some extent) so, i think you know what you need, now its a matter of your preference? DWS are tops for anything wet or snow while retaining an all-season balance. anything else will give you a harder/sportier feel, but you are losing dramatically in the wet/snow area. Since you have dedicated winter tires, you will retain the winter/wet weather capability of the DWS for quite a long time.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=134
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=119
:thumbsdow
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for Pirelli PZero Nero it grips well both on wet & dry conditions
Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
OP, maybe try looking at Bridgestone Potenza's RE960AS, i likeed them on my car (but they did seem a little wide though; i had 245's; for really any type of snow though)

they are basically bridgestone's top all season tire

and they seemed to have decent wear too (as long as you don't do burnouts ), and still seemed to grip well in the corners too

but if you want the performance of a summer tire, only way you are going to keep that is WITH a summertire
Old 01-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My Acura service manager is an advocate of Toyo tires (as is my wife's Subaru dealer) and says that the RDX owners who have bought them are very happy, particularly because they are quieter and have a smoother ride than the OEMs. They don't seem to get much mention here...any first-hand experience with them?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:54 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever try Achilles tires? My bro in law tried them on his Legacy GT and he said it grips really well especially on wet weather condition and the treads looks almost identical to FK452 considering it's an all season tires.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
I have the Toyo Versados, they are great dry and in the rain.

We haven't gotten a lot of snow here in Va, but they performed excellent on the ice.

The only downside is that similar to the Michelins they get noisy as they wear.

Here is a pic of the tread after approx 50K:
Old 02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in Canada too, but on the west coast, so winters here are very moderate, seldom hitting below -5C.

My yokohama Avid V4S is a very good all-season tire, handling well in light snow conditions. Dry handling is very good, as in rain. In my opinion, a very good all-season tire overall. And they have a low profile look as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
I live in Canada too, but on the west coast, so winters here are very moderate, seldom hitting below -5C.

My yokohama Avid V4S is a very good all-season tire, handling well in light snow conditions. Dry handling is very good, as in rain. In my opinion, a very good all-season tire overall. And they have a low profile look as well.
what i also have on my 2g right now, as said an all season tire, and yes they are OK in the snow, they could be better, but considering you can also run them in summer too, you can't really complain a whole lot though