Am I asking too much from a tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I asking too much from a tire?

So I'm due for new tires...at least 2 of them. The OEM Michelins are HORRIBLE on wet pavement now. Actually....I'd peg them as unsafe at this point.

After doing some reading here...I considered the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and DW. The problem is we don't get much snow here in Austin. Every year about 3-4 days of sleet/snow/slush/ice...and that's about it. For this reason I was considering just the DW, but the DWS are cheaper (looking at both on TireRack). But then the other 361 days out of the year, I want good handling on dry/wet pavement...no snow...and I hear the DWS aren't that great on dry pavement.

And here's the curve ball...

I like to go mountain biking...and the rain doesn't stop me...but the "parking lot" of the park I bike at is basically the side of the road, down a decline, and because it's where people park, there's no grass. When it rains, it's just mud.

Anyone know of a tire that can give me some extra grip when it's muddy, but not give up a whole lot of dry/wet pavement handling? With the OEM Michelins I have...if it weren't for the AWD...I would've gotten stuck a handful of times already.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
There is not an “everything” tire. Maybe someday we will have tires with built-in nanobots that can change their shape to accommodate all road surface requirements. Until then get a good set of all-season tires, buy a front bumper guard, and put a winch on it.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
So I'm due for new tires...at least 2 of them. The OEM Michelins are HORRIBLE on wet pavement now. Actually....I'd peg them as unsafe at this point.

After doing some reading here...I considered the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and DW. The problem is we don't get much snow here in Austin. Every year about 3-4 days of sleet/snow/slush/ice...and that's about it. For this reason I was considering just the DW, but the DWS are cheaper (looking at both on TireRack). But then the other 361 days out of the year, I want good handling on dry/wet pavement...no snow...and I hear the DWS aren't that great on dry pavement.

And here's the curve ball...

I like to go mountain biking...and the rain doesn't stop me...but the "parking lot" of the park I bike at is basically the side of the road, down a decline, and because it's where people park, there's no grass. When it rains, it's just mud.

Anyone know of a tire that can give me some extra grip when it's muddy, but not give up a whole lot of dry/wet pavement handling? With the OEM Michelins I have...if it weren't for the AWD...I would've gotten stuck a handful of times already.
I think that your best bet is the DWS. Is not that they suck in the dry pavement, they are just not "as good" as other tires are, in particular it seems that they are a bit soft in hard cornering. It sounds that you need an all season tire regardless, and I believe that the Contis are the best compromise.
How much of a difference between the DW and DWS are we talking about?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Thanks, guys.

I forgot...but now that I look again I must've been seeing things because there's only about a $15 difference between the two. Hah! I'm afraid of getting the DWS and then wearing through the "S" before next winter...which wouldn't be too bad I guess since they're still cheaper than the DW.

I guess I'll have to just deal with the mud. I mean if my worn OEM Michelins still made it out with the AWD I think new DWSs will do just fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
Thanks, guys.

I forgot...but now that I look again I must've been seeing things because there's only about a $15 difference between the two. Hah! I'm afraid of getting the DWS and then wearing through the "S" before next winter...which wouldn't be too bad I guess since they're still cheaper than the DW.

I guess I'll have to just deal with the mud. I mean if my worn OEM Michelins still made it out with the AWD I think new DWSs will do just fine.
Even if you "eat" the S and the W, don't you think that it would be the same as normal wear on any all season tire without those marks? The only difference is that Continental tells you when you don't have "optimal" traction on those conditions, it does not mean that you will not be able to get around or that you need to get new tires.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I would go for the DWS because it is a better 4 season tire, longer tread life (340 compared to 540), and cheaper price.

If you check out the other fourms, the Conti DWS seems to be “unofficially” the only all season tire recommended for all Acura fwd or sh-awd vehicles in North America. I have them on my TSX and love them. I will put them on my RDX before next winter.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Even if you "eat" the S and the W, don't you think that it would be the same as normal wear on any all season tire without those marks? The only difference is that Continental tells you when you don't have "optimal" traction on those conditions, it does not mean that you will not be able to get around or that you need to get new tires.
I was reading the description on TireRack, and I guess their wording is a little obscure. It says when the "S" wears away, you'll basically have a DW tire. When the "W" wears away, you'll have a tire that will perform on dry pavement. I was surprised/impressed that they have the "DWS" in the tire tread at different depths to act as a wear gauge.