Windshield washer debacle.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Windshield washer debacle.

Well this is a first for me in my years of driving and I hope that I can get some help with my RDX on the problem. Recently its been very, very cold up here in Halifax and with having to park my car outside it isn't safe from the -15C that we have been averaging the past couple weeks. The other day it was down to -22 and in the morning I had to drive the wife to work and after I did that I wanted to wash the windshield and pulled the lever and nothing, the motor was whirring but nothing came out the nozzles. I tried the rear one and no problems it came out without a blip. So I wondered if maybe some of the fluid had froze in the tank near the pickup point so I looked at the extra jug of Rain-X I keep in the trunk in case I need to refill and the outside was frosty but the fluid inside was still viscous enough to not cause a problem I would think, no slush or anything. The bottle says good to -40C. So does or has anyone else here had this issue? Its not a huge deal its just irritating to have a dirty windshield and can't clean it. I was wondering if maybe it froze in the lines under the cowling. how could I check that?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanesky_OH8RDX
Well this is a first for me in my years of driving and I hope that I can get some help with my RDX on the problem. Recently its been very, very cold up here in Halifax and with having to park my car outside it isn't safe from the -15C that we have been averaging the past couple weeks. The other day it was down to -22 and in the morning I had to drive the wife to work and after I did that I wanted to wash the windshield and pulled the lever and nothing, the motor was whirring but nothing came out the nozzles. I tried the rear one and no problems it came out without a blip. So I wondered if maybe some of the fluid had froze in the tank near the pickup point so I looked at the extra jug of Rain-X I keep in the trunk in case I need to refill and the outside was frosty but the fluid inside was still viscous enough to not cause a problem I would think, no slush or anything. The bottle says good to -40C. So does or has anyone else here had this issue? Its not a huge deal its just irritating to have a dirty windshield and can't clean it. I was wondering if maybe it froze in the lines under the cowling. how could I check that?

Thanks!
I've been in exactly the same situation 2 weeks ago. Took some warm water with me outside in a plastic glass, poured it on the nozzles and this helped. They worked perfect since.
The following users liked this post:
Lanesky_OH8RDX (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Instructor

Sweet I shall try that tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Pour rubbing alcohol in the reservoir.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Instructor

I hoped with the glycol/rain-x mix it wouldn't freeze up in the nozzles but Ill try that next after I pour warm water on the nozzles.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Instructor

ok so its for sure the cold causing it to freeze somewhere either in the nozzle or the lines. I tried the hot water trick and it worked on one but not the other. It was fine when the temps got above zero but its dropped again and its stopped working. So how can I stop this from happening for good? Isopropyl alcohol?