Where are the low & hi horns located and how to replace them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011 | 07:35 AM
3rd Gear

Where are the low & hi horns located and how to replace them?

Hi!

One of the horns stopped working and I want to replace both, low & hi, but I don't know exactly where they are located. I know that they should be somewhere close to the front bumper, thus I will appreciate any help with the process to follow for replacing them.
Old 01-10-2011 | 10:53 AM
haole kama'a-ina

If one of the horns is still working, then the fuse (#12, 15 amp, in the under hood fuse box) should be OK.

The horns are just in front of the wheel wells on either side. To access the horn pull the front wheel and remove the plastic inner fender liner. The horn has a power wire connector and is grounded by the bracket to the frame.

Before buying a new horn, I would suggest testing the present one. Attach battery power to the connector terminal and ground the bracket to the frame. If the horn sounds, then clean the connector terminal and reattach it securely. Then clean the attachment bracket and frame points and reattach for a good ground.

Otherwise, the high horn is 38150-STK-A02 and the low is 38100-STK-A02.
Old 01-10-2011 | 06:31 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks a lot, 737 Jock!

Does someone know on which side of the car are the horns located?
Old 01-10-2011 | 06:54 PM
haole kama'a-ina

There is one horn on each side, inside the corners of the bumper, just forward of the wheel wells. The manual does not indicate which is high and low, but you can identify them by the part number which should be printed on them.
Old 01-10-2011 | 07:21 PM
haole kama'a-ina

I borrowed this pic from wspy on his excellent thread about HID installation. wspy has his bumper off and the horn is plainly visible. (Thanks wspy!)

The right side horn is circled. Ignore the Digital HID box. You don't have that.

Old 03-07-2014 | 05:02 AM
1st Gear

Hallo!
I do not understand) I need to remove the bumper?! Or enought remove plastic inner fender liner?
Old 03-07-2014 | 08:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tforik
Hallo!
I do not understand) I need to remove the bumper?! Or enought remove plastic inner fender liner?
Should be fine with just the liner. I replaced a fog light assembly last night by pulling 3 screws and 3 push-tabs and bending the plastic enough to get my chubby arms in there. The horn was clearly visible and more accessible than the fog that I had to replace.
Old 03-15-2014 | 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Not to hijack this thread, but I need to replace a fog light assembly and thought I had to pull the bumper. Sounds like it can be done by just removing the liner? Can you provide some details on how you did it? Thanks
Old 03-15-2014 | 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by max366
Not to hijack this thread, but I need to replace a fog light assembly and thought I had to pull the bumper. Sounds like it can be done by just removing the liner? Can you provide some details on how you did it? Thanks
I turned the front wheel and was able to pull back enough of the fender liner to get in there and swap out the assembly. It's a bit of a tight fit but I was able to get the job done without much trouble. If you want more working space, you can lift the car, remove the entire wheel and pull the entire fender liner.

The light is only held in by two phillips screws. For easier access and better leverage instead of a screwdriver I used my ratchet with a 1/4" socket and slid a phillips bit into the socket.
Old 03-15-2014 | 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

The fog light mounts are molded into the top/bottom sections of the front bumper "cover", that entire wrap-around plastic part which covers the entire front of the car. If the fog light mount is damaged, then the bumper cover has to be replaced. But if only the fog light itself is damaged, perhaps a broken front lens, then ...

The part under the bottom of the bumper "cover" is called the splash shield, and is clipped to the bottom of the "cover" and the front sub-frame cross-bar (a large diameter circular tube across the front of the car.

It would be best to simply remove the entire splash-shield. There are two clips in the passenger side wheel well which will require removal, none in the driver side wheel well. These two passenger-side clips can be accessed from under the car, but its best to jack up the front, place on jack stands, then remove the splash shield. That will also give you better access to the fog lamp - and you did not indicate which side you are replacing.

I personally don't think removing the wheel well liner will help, BUT - If you want to remove either side wheel well liner, it would be best to remove the wheel itself first. Also you will have to remove the splash guard behind the wheel. Look here for splash shield & passenger wheel liner removal:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828859

The front bumper cover is light. When I removed it, I had my wife hold it up while I unclipped it. Then I simply held and moved it to my patio and placed on some plastic garbage bags to prevent scratches. You have to unplug both fog lights before removing the cover, which can be done after unclipping (but not removing) the splash shield.
Old 03-16-2014 | 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

You could do all that, but I already replaced my fog light assembly as described in my post above. Bumper cover removal is absolutely not necessary, nor did I remove my wheel. Although in hindsight yanking the wheel would have given me a little more room to operate. All together it was a 30 minute job.
Old 03-16-2014 | 06:11 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the great replies. I have broken lens on the driver's side and will tackle the assembly replacement once it warms up here (if it ever does). I did buy the lens covers for the new and existing fog light lenses and hope this will be the last time!
Old 03-17-2014 | 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

... did buy the lens covers for the new and existing fog light lenses and hope this will be the last time!
Which ones? I have had protective film put on my fog lenses (twice) but each time the lens is so curved, the film begins to lift.
Old 03-18-2014 | 11:33 AM
Intermediate

Headlight Armor. Tough to get smooth by the edges but with elbow grease and the spatula they provided, it came out fine. I only did the replacement assembly in the house since it's been too cold to do the one on the car. We'll see how they hold up, especially at the edges.
Old 03-18-2014 | 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
You could do all that, but I already replaced my fog light assembly as described in my post above. Bumper cover removal is absolutely not necessary, nor did I remove my wheel. Although in hindsight yanking the wheel would have given me a little more room to operate. All together it was a 30 minute job.
It's simply easier on you and the car to remove the bumper. I did an HiD foglight install without removing it and, not only did my hands/arms suffer the consequences, but it took longer than had I just taken a couple minutes to R&R the bumper cover.
Old 03-18-2014 | 02:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
It's simply easier on you and the car to remove the bumper. I did an HiD foglight install without removing it and, not only did my hands/arms suffer the consequences, but it took longer than had I just taken a couple minutes to R&R the bumper cover.
I suppose it depends on your individual situation. I recently had to pull the bumper off my wife's Fit to replace a headlight, and two clips and one of those plastic push-tabs broke, with 3 more clips showing stress marks. Everything was just very brittle. Luckily it all fit back on without issue or gaps, but I might grab a few spares from the dealer if I have to pull it again.

Granted, I live in Phoenix where our hot and dry summers are the bane of all things plastic, so I'm hesitant to pull my RDX bumper if I can avoid it. In the end there is more than one way to skin a cat.
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (03-19-2014)