Turbo whine / flapping sound / hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo whine / flapping sound / hesitation

Hey all, got a couple of questions about some things I've noticed with my car. I actually have a few items I want to see if anyone else has or knows anything about.

First, at between 2k and 3k RPMs I get a very noticeable sounds from the turbo. It sounds like the type of sound you get from bearings that are bad...kind of a whining sound. It's very odd as I've driven several RDX's and never noticed on any of them until mine. It's very noticeable and wanted to see if others hear this sound as well.

Second issue that I have noticed is that if I am accelerating enough for the turbo to engage if I release the throttle all at once I hear a kind of flapping sound...not sure if its from the turbo or not...and its not the blow off valve, I know what that sounds like. Its more of a rattle type sound that lasts for half a second or so then goes away.

The last issue is twice now I have had a very strange hesitation when starting from a stop. I push on the accelerator and the car moves but it feels like its fighting itself for probably 3-5 seconds in total. During that time it tries a couple of time to accelerate...I mean it almost jumps...I get a "burst" of accelaration for a nanosecond, then it hesitates...then it does it again, then hesitates...then it accelerates normally. It's a very odd feeling like the car is fighting itself before it gets going. I've experienced the problem other have reports about a general hesitation on acceleration, but this is different as the car tries to accelerate a couple of times (noticeable tries) but can't get it going for some reason.

Anyone have any opinions on these?

Patton
Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 AM
07 RDX Tech - Blue/Ebony

hard to diagnose sounds over the internet...so take it to the dealer...
Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 AM
1st Gear

Have a 2 week old '08 RDX tech with the same issue. Seems to be mainly when cold, sounding like a scraping noise as revs dropbetween 2-3K RPM. I also thought it reminded me of a bad bearing or similar unwelcome noise. Had an '07 for a couple of days before getting the '08 new from the factory and did not notice this issue. I took it back to the dealer, but this entailed a long highway journey and noise was hard to replcate when vehicale was very warm. I tried another '08 (new from the lot) and noticed a similar noise (but milder). The mechanic thought it may be something to do with the turbo valve and a possible change in setup on the '08s. Decided to see if I could live with this, but remains quite noticable and annoying so I guess will have to take it back for the dealer to check out more thoroughly.

I haven't noticed any marked hesitation from starting from a stop, aside from the issue of the tall gearing in 'D'. have not been able to get 4th to engage in "S' yet with using the paddles, so will ask dealer if speed needs to be above the 55-60mph I have reached in "S" on back roads (unless I get a chance to try on the on highway before). All part of exploring the car and I'm still enjoying it, aside from the annoying scaping sound.

Good luck with yours!