Sync'ing Phone Books

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync'ing Phone Books

Hello all -

Has anyone had any luck with with sync'ing their phone's phonebook with HFL?

It's mentioned in the quick ref, but I can't find it anywhere in the owners manual.

Just point me in the right direction and I'll figure it out!

Thanks all!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't believe the RDX will sync a phonebook. I know the 2007 didn't, and I am pretty sure the 2008 doesn't either.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked Acura customer service about this, since it IS in the Quick Reference.

They explained that the HFL information in the Quick Reference is printed to be used across the MDX, RDX, and RDX Tech models, and that the Phone Book Sync feature isn't available in the RDX (at all.) Only the MDX.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ACURascal
I asked Acura customer service about this, since it IS in the Quick Reference.

They explained that the HFL information in the Quick Reference is printed to be used across the MDX, RDX, and RDX Tech models, and that the Phone Book Sync feature isn't available in the RDX (at all.) Only the MDX.
Thx Acurascal ... I wasn't going insane

But I am BUMMED about this. Seems like a 1/2 baked solution to me. Now I have to create duplicate records in the HFL phonebook...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waterlou
Thx Acurascal ... I wasn't going insane

But I am BUMMED about this. Seems like a 1/2 baked solution to me. Now I have to create duplicate records in the HFL phonebook...

I agree. Mostly because my intuition tells me that if this feature is available in the MDX, it's an easy thing to configure in the RDX (both Tech and standard), and that they must have intentionally deactivated this feature in the RDX since the equipment is virtually identical across the MDX and RDX implementation of HFL in 2008.

The Bluetooth stack must support PBAP profile for this to work, and that profile doesn't manifest on the RDX in Bluetooth pairing options.

-AR
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Intermediate

You guys are going to laugh at the Customer Service email response I got:

"acurasupport@handsfreelink.com" to me

show details
8:06 am (2 hours ago)

Jerome,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to the Phonebook Import feature.

Unfortunately, the Blackberry 8800 does not support this feature . We apologize for any inconvenience.

Below are the steps to aid you in starting your phonebook entries into HandsFreeLink. Your HandsFreeLink phonebook can hold up to 50 entries. By storing these numbers into the HandsFreeLink system, will allow you to then be able to dial using voicetags instead of digits.

Storing a Phonebook Entry (nametags and numbers):

" Press the talk button and say "Phonebook". The HandsFreeLink system will give you a choice of options (store, edit, delete, and list)

" Press the talk button and say "Store". The HandsFreeLink system will ask what name would you like to store.

" Press the talk button and say the nametag you wish to store. (Names entered into the phonebook are referred to as nametags)

Then continue with the process by having the system lead you further.

We apologize for any inconveniences. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Team at 1-888-528-7876. We are available Mon - Fri, 7am - 8pm CT.

Sincerely,

HandsFreeLink Customer Service
I love the re-direction on this. My next logical response is -- well if the BB8800 doesn't support it, will you provide me a list of phones that do support sync'ing in the RDX?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well they are right in that your blackberry doesn't support phone book transfers. Only a handful of phone devices do.

Pretty sneaky how they never say the RDX doesn't support it at all but rather make it seem like it is only your equipment that is lacking.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by waterlou
You guys are going to laugh at the Customer Service email response I got:

I love the re-direction on this. My next logical response is -- well if the BB8800 doesn't support it, will you provide me a list of phones that do support sync'ing in the RDX?

I ran into some of the same types of responses, until I realized that the Acura people on the Customer Support desk are doing a search on text related to the question that you're asking. Sometimes, I assume, they find the information on the phonebook import that's relevant to the HFL implementation in the MDX, and then just quote the script related to the problem you're reporting, and the handset you're using.

According to wirelessinfo.com, the BB8800 doesn't support the PBAP (Phone book access profile), so the Acura folks are right about that. They probably just didn't even look to ensure that the info they were reading was NOT for the RDX, but the MDX.

http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/...amp;-Specs.htm