RDX SHAWD Light error

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX SHAWD Light error

Hey there,

I hope you're all doing well. I apologize if I am breaking some rule by posting in this specific forum, but I was hoping for some advice.

I imported an 07' RDX this last week. During my inspection there were three errors:
-Recall for the hitch (which has since been cleared)
-Wiper blade (rectified)
- SRS code coming up needing to be cleared.

So I take it to our dealership here in Calgary, and was able to get the hitch cleared and the wiper blade; however, when they cleared the codes, the SHAWD light came on.

The error code is: 53-1 left clutch Electromagnetic Coil.

When I purchased the vehicle the seller had an inspection done, and I also completed a third party inspection. No codes had ever come up. I was aware that there was a minor fender bender a few years ago, but still after it was fixed there had been no codes.

I contacted the transport company for fear that perhaps they could be to blame for the errors in the SHAWD system. I trust the transport and he said in 15 years they haven't had an issue like that. However, he mentioned that because the system was so intricate that in previous imports to Calgary from sea level they have had the altitude change give the computer system some issues.

I was told by the dealership that it would require an extra 2 hours of diagnostics, but I was wondering if anyone on here could give any knowledge or advice.

I can't pass the licensing test until this light goes off or the codes are cleared! I appreciate any feedback and look forward to the community in the future.

Kind regards,
Luke
Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,246 Likes on 4,857 Posts
The RDX forum may have more help. Hopefully if they towed it anywhere they put it in neutral.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opps. It wasn't towed it was put on a truck with 8 other cars.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:20 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by lukerguy
...however, when they cleared the codes, the SHAWD light came on.

The error code is: 53-1 left clutch Electromagnetic Coil.
They cleared an airbag code and got a driveline code? Yeah right. When did it happen? Immediately? After driving? The systems are not related. Someone is confused or blowing smoke about what really happened.

Also, the previous accident might be a factor, or maybe it was a flood car. Did you get a vehicle history?

First, check the fluid level in the SH-AWD unit.
Second, clear the clutch code and see if it comes back.
The following users liked this post:
lukerguy (11-17-2011)