rattles

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
rattles

Front windows, both driver and passenger...is this just a Honda/Acura epidemic? Every single honda and acura i've owned has had the same exact window rattles, dating back to 1995. What is the story?

No matter how much or how little they are open....the slightest body movements cause the windows to shake/rattle in place...i hate it.

Also....i know there was one other poster on here about problems with the drivers door. I am in the middle of the same problem: the drivers door on appearance is out of alignment. The window seam doesnt match up with the passenger seam. Seems like there is a gap and the door doesnt close fully...windnoise on the highway, and the door rattles, i cant tell if its teh actual door or something to do with the hinge..but something isnt right...

One thing i did notice on a loaner RDX, my 07 RDX, and now my 08 RDX, it never feels like the driver's door closes fully...especially when you open it from the inside i feel like it just falls open....anyone experience this kind of thing?

its going in to get looked at.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...interesting observation. I have to say that mine does none of the above. The only noise I get now is from the seat belt hitting the hard plastic.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by buxtons
hmm...interesting observation. I have to say that mine does none of the above. The only noise I get now is from the seat belt hitting the hard plastic.

Same here... I get it from time to time too from the seat belt... it's not a big deal but annoying....
Old 09-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by buxtons
Ditto. I noticed a "rattle" noise coming from the passenger side. I don't recall hearing the noise when I have a pasenger buckled up. Before reading this thread I also figured it must be the seatbelt hitting the hard plastic. I will do some experiments to see if that truly is it. I hope so as I'd hate to think it is something more serious like the window or or internal panel or something.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

the rattle I hear is from the seat belt also
Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
big shot.

in my situation...it has nothing to do w/the seatbelt rattle...that would be a given and much, MUCH easier to identify.

Carbon...its the seatbelt w/o question. dont kick urself over it, just adjust the seatback of the pass seat so that the belt doesnt have room to bang against the door.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
in my situation...it has nothing to do w/the seatbelt rattle...that would be a given and much, MUCH easier to identify.

Carbon...its the seatbelt w/o question. dont kick urself over it, just adjust the seatback of the pass seat so that the belt doesnt have room to bang against the door.
Thanks Mike. Yes, I determined my particular rattle was simply the seatbelt buckle knocking against the plastic. BUT, my first Acura, a 1994 Integra GS-R bought new, had the horrific window rattles! It drove me nuts and the dealer never really could resolve it! Other than that, it was a blast of a car back in the day...
Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
Front windows, both driver and passenger...is this just a Honda/Acura epidemic? Every single honda and acura i've owned has had the same exact window rattles, dating back to 1995. What is the story?

No matter how much or how little they are open....the slightest body movements cause the windows to shake/rattle in place...i hate it.

Also....i know there was one other poster on here about problems with the drivers door. I am in the middle of the same problem: the drivers door on appearance is out of alignment. The window seam doesnt match up with the passenger seam. Seems like there is a gap and the door doesnt close fully...windnoise on the highway, and the door rattles, i cant tell if its teh actual door or something to do with the hinge..but something isnt right...

One thing i did notice on a loaner RDX, my 07 RDX, and now my 08 RDX, it never feels like the driver's door closes fully...especially when you open it from the inside i feel like it just falls open....anyone experience this kind of thing?

its going in to get looked at.
I do notice with either front window partially down they move laterally on any given bumps thus creating the rattling. It is extremely annoying therefore I have to either have them up or all the way down. I too find this to be typical of Honda/Acura products.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Intermediate

Yea, I have some window rattle in both driver and passenger side. Have anyone got the dealer to fix it? My car is going in for its first service tomorrow, I will make sure to let them check on that.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Cruisin'

I have some rattling on my back hatch... I guess Im the only one with the problem...

I solved it by turning my system higher... =)
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
6th Gear

09 RDX have rattling of the rear hatch. Thought at first it was the rear cargo cover removed that and the spare tire cover, same noise. I pulled the spare tire didn't resolve it.

Going to the dealer on Friday.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:30 PM
big shot.

Id actually forgo a service guy taking apart my door, hatch etc if the rattle wasnt so bad. Putting the stereo up makes the window rattle worse, and the fact that its right next to my ear makes it impossible to ignore. I think the less a dealer does the car is better off, but, i just cant take the noise in my friggin ear 24/7. lol

why cant honda/acura make a window that closes with a THUNK. as much as i hated my CX-7, one thing i did notice going from a honda to mazda was an actual quality window vs the crap honda puts out. lol. thunk=happiness.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Cruisin'

I owned a Mazda 3 before my RDX and believe me their windows are NOT quality... my driver's side window, after about 20,000 miles would slide as I rolled the window up and down... something about the torque not right, thereby the glass was loose... I had a glass expert tighten it for me only for the glass to come loose after a few thousand miles again...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
big shot.

ok, then let me say this, for the 6500 miles the CX-7 lasted, the windows were pretty good....haha
Old 10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Cruisin'

so you owned a CX-7 for about 6500 miles before getting rid of it...? that was my alternative option but I went with the RDX in the end... the only thing I liked about the CX-7 was the exterior...
Old 10-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the windows open/close very well.

No real rattles here. On Am radio, the speaker spits a bit of crackling, and on the odd bump, I'll get a creak - but nothing constant yet.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 AM
big shot.

the cx-7 was the biggest piece of garbage ive ever owned....it got rid of itself, lemon. it was an '06.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Advanced

Our CX-7 is far louder inside and has more little rattles than does our RDX. Then, the CX-7 has just over 19k on it, vs my RDX with just over 17k. Anyone who thinks the RDX needs less hard plastic inside, ought to go drive a CX-7. Hard pastic galore and the worst supporting seats I have ever sat in.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JohnH425
Same here... I get it from time to time too from the seat belt... it's not a big deal but annoying....
same with me too....i noticed that strange sound but after tracing it.....BINGO...the seat belt was hitting the plastic cover of the door..i just learn to live with it...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 AM
big shot.

so on my way over to the dealer the other day and, im driving, and i hit the gas, and im like what is that? i come to another stop and hit the gas again......every time from a stop or a about 10-15mph or under, hit the gas the whole dash vibrates...now its a mild/mod vibrate at best and it seems like its originating where the dash meets the windshield....but, WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

they need to start assembling back in japan.....honestly, when i drive my gf's 07 tsx, made in japan, the entire vehicle feels different in every respect. doors close better, there are no ticks, no rattles, windows open and shut much better, the entire car feels like it was tightened with a wrench before it left the plant...my rdx feels so loose inside i just cant help but think, ohio, ohio, ohio. ehhhhhhh
Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sold a four year old 2004 WRX that had I had all the seats out of for a big ICE install. Twelve inch sub with 600W amp. It had an aftermarket suspension and a mildly modified motor. I returned it to stock and sold it. Not a single rattle. None. Nada. MIJ for the win.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Yes...I noticed the rattle too but only on the driver side window. It only occurs when the window is open about 6 inches. I have an 08 RDX with about 5500 miles on it.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Buzzing with road vibration and with AM radio

Originally Posted by cwepruk
I think the windows open/close very well.

No real rattles here. On Am radio, the speaker spits a bit of crackling, and on the odd bump, I'll get a creak - but nothing constant yet.
I get the exact same buzz/rattle with road vibrations/bumps and with male voices on AM radio. It's very annoying because I listen to a lot of AM. I almost had the dealer take a look at it when I had it in for an oil change. I read in the DIY and FAQ about tweeters buzzing, but it doesn't appear to be coming from the speakers.

Does anyone know where this nasty buzz comes from?? I am getting it from both the front driver and passenger sides.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

I, too, had an extremely annoying rattle in the left rear that I *thought* was the tailgate on my '08. Took it the FANTASTIC Acura of Memphis for a look. At first they thought it was the left rear seat latch, but instead it was the left rear SEAT BELT rattling INSIDE the body panel. Fixed under warranty.

When I was done, the service tech said I now had the "quietest RDX on the road, 'cause they ALL rattle."
Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Racer

i just posted in another thread about the front window rattling. Then saw this thread. Yes, it is my window rattling, as I am forced to put on a seat belt or face the wrath of the DING DING DING. SO, I know it's not the seatbelt.

Doesnt seem right that a LUXURY vehicle would suffer from this kind of thing.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kevinbarre
I, too, had an extremely annoying rattle in the left rear that I *thought* was the tailgate on my '08. Took it the FANTASTIC Acura of Memphis for a look. At first they thought it was the left rear seat latch, but instead it was the left rear SEAT BELT rattling INSIDE the body panel. Fixed under warranty.

When I was done, the service tech said I now had the "quietest RDX on the road, 'cause they ALL rattle."
I might have to get that looked at. Mine comes/goes now that its colder in the mornings - same area.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Instructor

have one very small rattle in the driver headrest, been meaning to find/fix it for a while now.....other than that its perfectly quiet
Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 AM
big shot.

mine is a clang box, no joke. all 4 doors rattle w/music playing (just poor interior integrity in my book), every window rattles - thats including the PASSENGER WINDOWS, and now with cold weather, forget it, sounds like a tin can. Also, never knew this, but when you open the lift gate, where i thought would be a sealed piece of metal (something flush w/the interior etc.)...the metal lip on the bottom of the lift gate is just a folded piece of metal....tap on it with ur finger and hear the sound it makes!!! pretty cheap way of finishing off the door.

Its great that HONDA builds more cars in the US and so forth, but please, at least for Acuras sake....alll the Acuras need/should be built in Japan. The difference in build quality within the brand is amazing when compared US/JP. Honestly, i feel like my truck is an American clunker when i listen to all the bs going on inside the car. it aggravates me, and now that everything has shrunk with temps under freezing, forget it.

pissed.