Rattle: Work around or fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rattle: Work around or fix?

I noticed a rattle coming from the passenger rear a few days ago (bought the car a week ago tomorrow). Tonight my wife sat in the back and we discovered that putting a little tension on the seatbelt reduced it. So I went ahead and put the seatbelt in "car seat mode". If you don't know, most back seat seat belts can be put in a full ratcheting mode by pulling them all the way out. This is so you can tighten down a non-latch car seat without using clamps, etc. So I fastened the belt and ratched the belt tight against the seat. The rattle is gone!!!

So we now know the rattle is the passenger rear seatbelt mechanism.

The question:

Leave it like it is? We can make the rattle go away at will. Hopefully within a year baby #2 comes along and no one will ever sit there anyway for years (until the yet unborn baby outgrows a car seat at 3 to 4 years old).

Or

Have the dealer try to fix it? The risk is that things get worse: a new rattle or the rattle gets worse, etc. Or the trim pieces never quite go back on right, or a plastic gouge, etc.

What says AZ?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I noticed a rattle coming from the passenger rear a few days ago (bought the car a week ago tomorrow). Tonight my wife sat in the back and we discovered that putting a little tension on the seatbelt reduced it. So I went ahead and put the seatbelt in "car seat mode". If you don't know, most back seat seat belts can be put in a full ratcheting mode by pulling them all the way out. This is so you can tighten down a non-latch car seat without using clamps, etc. So I fastened the belt and ratched the belt tight against the seat. The rattle is gone!!!

So we now know the rattle is the passenger rear seatbelt mechanism.

The question:

Leave it like it is? We can make the rattle go away at will. Hopefully within a year baby #2 comes along and no one will ever sit there anyway for years (until the yet unborn baby outgrows a car seat at 3 to 4 years old).

Or

Have the dealer try to fix it? The risk is that things get worse: a new rattle or the rattle gets worse, etc. Or the trim pieces never quite go back on right, or a plastic gouge, etc.

What says AZ?

If it's not bothering you now, I'd leave it as it is for all the reasons you stated above.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:26 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
agreed, leave it for now, have them check it out just before your bumper to bumper expires.