Numerous repairs on CPO after 3500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Numerous repairs on CPO after 3500 miles

I took my wonderful CPO in for a checkup today: Oil change, wipers, check my "brand new" Michelin tires because they're signalling low.

They called back and said $1100! They said the tires are too bare to repair (nail in one) and must be replaiced (NOT NEW!). All the fluids must be flushed and replaced, differentials, brakes, things I don't recall (I have asked service rep to email me). I'm in shock. I told them to hold off on the service.

Apparently, they did little to prep this car. So much for CPO via Acura! I thought that meant it was prepared to "like new" condition. This is the same dealer that order an OLD replacement Nav disk.

Should I do the service? Should I seek a tire place with cheaper prices? Should I have all these fluids done?

Years ago, I had a different car and dealer, and that Service Rep bloated all the things to be fixed to up his prices. Do Acura guys do that??

What would you do?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Follow the Maintenance Minder only (Code that show up when oil change is due). Also use Honda/Acura fluids if you're planning to go to any tire place..

But if u will ask me i'll just go to the dealer to service the car if your car is still under warranty...
The following users liked this post:
phineasboggs (07-16-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:03 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
So you have an 07 with 27k miles that was CPO.

Originally Posted by phineasboggs
check my "brand new" Michelin tires because they're signalling low
If "signalling low" means the car was driven for a length of time with the TPMS low pressure light on, then in addition to the nail puncture, some of the other tires may be excessively worn on the shoulder. You might want to ask them for actual tread measurements. Perhaps only the punctured tire is excessively worn and could be replaced seperately with shaving. But with the demands of AWD, the best solution now may be replacement of all 4 tires.

Ask them for service history. If it's not available, and you don't know if the MID was ever reset properly, then the only fluids which should need to be changed are:
1. Engine oil
2. SH-AWD rear differential
3. Brake fluid

Last edited by 737 Jock; 04-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 PM
haole kama'a-ina

At 27k miles the transmission fluid, power steering fluid and coolant should all still be serviceable (if the levels were kept up).

At 27k miles with normal driving and no brakes dragging, the rear pads and rotors should be serviceable with plenty remaining.

However, the front pads may very well need replaced and the rotors may need turned. Ask for measurements.

The brake fluid absorbs water and should be replaced every 3 years.

This is the same dealer that order an OLD replacement Nav disk
You might want to consider another dealer or indy Honda service garage.

Last edited by 737 Jock; 04-20-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 PM
ADD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When did you buy the car? From your post, it seems like you've driven it less than 4000 miles. If you recently bought the car and driven it for the few miles indicated, I would go back with the list of things they're supposed to check as part of the CPO process. For example, tires are supposed to have 5/32" tread left and if the tires are bald now after less than 4000 miles, I can't imagine your tires met the CPO specs initially. You can find all 150 points they're supposed to check at www.acura.com.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Why bother with CPO?

Yes, I bought the car last June. I ate the (IMO) high price because, as a CPO, I understood that to mean I was buying a car that had been totally brought to almost new status. IMO, all fluids were changed and flushed and cleaned, and that was the advantage of spending the extra money for CPO as opposed to buying it from the man-on-the-street.

Apparently, I'm wrong. Apparently, they just check to see that service has been done and it's adequate for the age of the car.

I figured that buying at 23,500 miles, and having them go over the car and replace everything for extra sales money, that I was protected. I figured I would have to have the oil changed again, and that nothing else would have to be done for a long time, godzwillin.

And further, since I had said that I wanted all the tires replaced and they agreed, (and honestly, I probably only examined the front tires which looked good, instead of the near bald when I test-drove).

So now, at 27,000 miles, (3,700 additional miles) they say Michelin tires are too bare to repair (to clarify, the repeated signals went off that the rear tire was low so I asked them to check them) and there was a nail in one. So they wanted almost $600 to repair tires that I understood were new!

Further, they said I needed:

1 Brake fluid changed out
2 Trans Service
3 Front Diff Service
4 Rear Diff Serv
5 Air/Fuel induction service
6 Coolant Fluid
7 A/C Cabin Filter
8 Nail in the Rear tire (too low to repair)

9 Wiper refills (my request) $38
10 Oil Change $77

It seems there were more "crucial" things the rep told me, that "had to" be done. I told him to hold off so I could evaluate. Then I asked for him to send me a list of what he told me, so I could see what he was telling me. I went in, expecting a maximum $100 charge, and they tell me my car is in jeopardy, after ONLY 3700 MILES! (BTW, this is the dealer who did a weird set of my car computer, so it told me I needed a new oil change at about 1000 miles)

He sent the list and we talked. He said they'd pay for the brakes. And that I could hold off on 2, 3, 4 & 6 until 30,000! And further, that they'd pay for one tire if I paid for the other.

What sort of parameters does the CPO carry? Why bother? It seems to me they're continuing with the rep of Car Dealers that they are undependable and trying to screw me over.

And what use is the CPO Extended Warranty?

And it affects my feeling about Acura and my car. When I took it in, I loved it. Today, I feel I will never buy another Honda product.

Last edited by phineasboggs; 04-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
235/55 18's OEM size are not cheap right now, find them at 136 at discount tire warehouse Falken Ze512 or better performing Falken ze502 good tires UTQG for these tires are low. They are confidence inspiring tires for warm areas like FL. As far as fluid service goes that is a DIY savings.

UTQG is a precentage of tread left after after 8000 miles'ish. But also this too: most of these tires last longer than UTQG predicted tread wear that is if they are babied and rotated.

Off topic, and dif car I did burnouts (glorious burns too) 2 times a week with mine and very aggressive driving for 4 months.

They may last longer if you avoid abusing them, more than the warranty'd life
Also, did a search for ya here ya go

Tire Rack search results: here OEM 18's (indicated by your avatar)
Discount Tire Warehouse results: here

Tell parts guy what price you found online he should be able to match or beat it, +20 a wheel for install locally. I just did a tire search to, BTW did you get that Ipod/Iphone to sync yet? lol.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 04-22-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
So you have an 07 with 27k miles that was CPO.

If "signalling low" means the car was driven for a length of time with the TPMS low pressure light on, then in addition to the nail puncture, some of the other tires may be excessively worn on the shoulder. You might want to ask them for actual tread measurements. Perhaps only the punctured tire is excessively worn and could be replaced seperately with shaving. But with the demands of AWD, the best solution now may be replacement of all 4 tires.

Ask them for service history. If it's not available, and you don't know if the MID was ever reset properly, then the only fluids which should need to be changed are:
1. Engine oil
2. SH-AWD rear differential
3. Brake fluid

+1 But I'd even skip brake fluid not necessary to do.. mine is original at close to 50000, and the ohter car is original to 60000. It rains in FL alot but you could pick up some wiper blades at an auto store and do it yourself, they're easy to change.

sounds like they are trying to milk ya. Aggreed find another service department if possible. The temp fix is a pulling a tire patch at a tire store for 32 dollars, maybe wasting 32 buck or saving 400-600. My local acura service told my wife that it'd be about 2200 (4*$520 Mich or Perrelli)to replace tires. Got 4 really good tires for 660 shipped and 80 more dollars and they are mounted and balenced. But you can do it right for 4-500 too.

Last edited by Kaze66218; 04-22-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Thanks. But, remember, they had me by the short hairs. Tire they said had a nail in it. How do I leave with that? Brake fluid, apparently not changed at CPO, because it they knew it was in a future service.

WTF, I had them do the brakes. I got out under $600. And they didn't buy me dinner or even kiss me first.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Glad you held the line on that.

You probably do need an intake filter and a cabin filter. The good news is both are very easy to do yourself.

Also, the rear diff ATF really should be changed soon.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Thanks. But, remember, they had me by the short hairs. Tire they said had a nail in it. How do I leave with that? Brake fluid, apparently not changed at CPO, because it they knew it was in a future service.

WTF, I had them do the brakes. I got out under $600. And they didn't buy me dinner or even kiss me first.
Drama sells service eventually service depts will tell it like it is with out the bloat! 600 did that cover the tires or is that separate?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Since a condition of purchase was for all four tires, they compromised and paid for one and I paid for the other. So, I don't really know if they were old tires or not. And they probably got them at an absurdly low price. Many of the "compromises" were referenced as "good will" instead of honest.

I still do not see any advantage for buying a Certified Pre-Owned car at this point. Can someone tell me some good ones?

And, at this point, where can I go to keep the probably irrelevant CPO Warranty, and at least get kissed? I live in St Petersburg, Florida.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Instructor

One new tire only. Scammed?

A few weeks ago, I sprayed my tires with Tire Shine. After picking up my car, I noticed they had sprayed the new driver's side tire to match, and thought that was pretty good service. I noticed the "hairs" on the tire and that confirmed, for me, the tires were new.

Approaching my car at an event, I noticed the "bad" tire (RR) was all mucky and dirty looking. Then I thought no more about it.

Today,these two mental visuals converged into an "Aha!" moment. They negotiated for me to pay for only one tire and they would pay for the other one. (Remember, they had to replace the tire because the tread was too low to repair). Of course, they recommended replacing both, because it wouldn't be right to have one new and one with a low tread.

I got out of my car and confirmed: Left Rear tire: shiny as the front tires. New tire "hairs" on it, the same as my front tires. Right rear tire dirty and not polished. Some hairs.

So, I presume, they replaced one tire unnecessarily and, instead of replacing two tires, as agreed, they replaced one.

Friends say they are clearly crooks, and there's a good chance they did none of the service they said they did. What do you think?

I'll post photos if I can figure it out.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM
haole kama'a-ina

If both rear tires are new, the tread depth should be roughly 8 mm or 10/32s on each.

If they put on only one new tire, it's possible the tread depths are mismatched between the 2 rear tires. New tire tread depth should be roughly 8 mm or 10/32s. The other tire would be much less. Mismatched tread depth generates major strain on the AWD and shouldn't be run very long.

However, if they shaved one new tire to match then it would appear new, but with much less tread; maybe 5 to 6 mm.

You might also find it helpful to check the DOT build date (week/year) on the sidewall. If the front tires have been on for 6 months or more you should see newer (and similar) build dates on both rear tires.

Also, what work and parts are listed on your receipt?

Last edited by 737 Jock; 04-28-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Oray I'll check the sidewalls. The agreement was to change TWO tires to keep them matched. The previous agreement was to change all FOUR tires, but according to the service dept, the rear tires were too far gone to repair, thus they would have to replace one, and recommended both, with me paying. Finally, they agreed for me to pay for one, and they'd pay for the other.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
If both rear tires are new, the tread depth should be roughly 8 mm or 10/32s on each.

If they put on only one new tire, it's possible the tread depths are mismatched between the 2 rear tires. New tire tread depth should be roughly 8 mm or 10/32s. The other tire would be much less. Mismatched tread depth generates major strain on the AWD and shouldn't be run very long.

However, if they shaved one new tire to match then it would appear new, but with much less tread; maybe 5 to 6 mm.

You might also find it helpful to check the DOT build date (week/year) on the sidewall. If the front tires have been on for 6 months or more you should see newer (and similar) build dates on both rear tires.

Also, what work and parts are listed on your receipt?
+1

Also obviously check same make of tire, direction of tread, and size ergo: 235/55r18

In my case, a Californian Acura dealer sold my Prelude to me with a pass rear tire that was wrong direction and mismatched. Friend pointed it out. If you have any of the paper work saying the cpo had never been properly inspected keep it take copies to the GM and negotiate with them. If your not happy go to BBB, if that won't solve your problem then last resort is Florida attorney General. That should solve most of your grievances, and don't go back to them.

Ps don't be a jerk right off the bat. You'll waste time and breath, I know they'll give you the run around, so try and get the any service or perk given to you in writing.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
A friend had a dealer agree to replace the tires that wore prematurely; they did replace them - with used tires. The fine print only said replace, not replace with new tires. Service writers are paid commission on the total repair bill, proceed with caution.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Instructor

My tires were not worn at all. All four still had the "hairs" on them. Now almost at 30,000 (NB: low mileage) all four tires (even the supposedly replaced tire) still have "hairs" on them. I will never, ever go to such crooks again.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I refuse to deal with the dealership I bought my Acura from after noticing numerous untruths and BS. I had to call Acura canada at one point who intervened (they were polite and expedient then). I am sure all Acura dealerships are not like this but until I find one that offers expert service and charges for needed repairs I will continue to buy the best parts and have my Acura mechanic do my maintenance. Really, I would rather go to the dealership--I don't mind paying for real repairs. It ends up on principle that you don't want to patronize BS dealerships.
phineasboggs (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Instructor

Exactly!

My experience with Crown has affected my opinion of Acura altogether. They're sending me all sorts of data to convince me to buy/lease a new one -- and the offers sound good -- but I don't know that I'd ever trust Acura Dealers again, certainly not Crown.