major issue 2010 rdx

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011 | 09:08 PM
2nd Gear

Angry major issue 2010 rdx

2010 rdx, 5100 miles, wife's car
two days ago the wife parked and went to the Y, cops called home about the horn blowing constantly. Wife returned, horn not blowing, got in rdx
started engine, would not release the park lock, threw three warnings,
ABS, VSA and SH-AWD. Car towed to the dealer who took until the day after to get it fixed after a part was overnighted. No loaner.
This evening (after an earlier 5 hour trip in the same vehicle) we were going to a movie. As we pulled into the parking lot, the horn beeped once
during a left turn. With a bit of trepidation, we decided to park the car. The moment we put the car in park, the horn started blowing in the panic pattern. Not only is the car now stuck in park, the doors are locked and will not open from the inside or outside. Shutting off or restarting the engine had no effect. Luckily, we had a multitool to pry off the cover for the manual park lock release. About that time the horn stopped and we unlocked the shift selector. The horn went on for two more sessions, I crawled out of the window to see if I could disconnect the horns (second thought I should have pulled the fuse) No luck there, but the horns quit again and we went home with a red light flashing on the dash. Doors are still locked.
The wife is now terrified of this car. any comments would be appreciated.
The state where the dealer is located has a three strike lemon law.
Old 01-16-2011 | 07:20 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Wow..... " i see dead people" just kidding

Sounds like there is a bug in the security system. What was the part that they overnighted to change?
Old 01-17-2011 | 01:41 AM
Instructor

Ouch...that sounds like a major problem. Especially when the car locks you IN! Multi-tools and crawling out windows should never be required to exit a vehicle unless you're in an emergency situation...not going to the movies. I'd take it back to the dealership and make sure they are aware that you are well aware of the lemon law. My fiance's dad had major issues with their Mazda van (stalled out going 65 on the highway...in the middle lane) and unfortunately the car was a pre-owned so lemon laws in Texas don't apply. The dealership was aware of this and horrible to work with. I would press the 3-strikes and not let the dealership get away with just being nice and trying to fix it more than 3 times (if it comes to that). Like having a defective camera and being withing your 30-day return at a store =/.
Old 01-17-2011 | 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Wow, that's a new one. What a terrible experience. It does sound like something with the security system, but the dealer should be able to solve it. Be strong but polite with the dealer. Getting upset will not get you anywhere, even though anyone in their right mind would be ticked off. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 01-19-2011 | 01:26 PM
10th Gear

we had a similar issue with a Civic & a Pilot at our service department and we found the wiring had been chewed by an animal.

It took a few hours to find the issue and to have it repaired.
Old 01-21-2011 | 09:39 PM
2nd Gear

i have an 08 and haven't had any problems yet...other than 2 car crashes...none was my fault
Old 02-03-2011 | 09:06 PM
2nd Gear

follow up on RDX

The car went to the dealer the next day, luckily it demonstated it's problems right there in the checkin area.

The dealer had it for a week and a half, we had a loaner (new TL), so other than the trip out and back it, the inconvenience was minimal. On the other hand, they knew this was the last straw. We received frequent updates from the shop. It was a stumper, because I think most of the steering column went back to Japan. Part of the problem was also in the drivers side door switch.

I will give Accura of Omaha high marks the second time around for being thorough, letting us know what if any progress was being made, and making sure the problem was gone. It appears Acura was eager to get the parts back to make sure this issue was a fluke.
Old 02-03-2011 | 09:17 PM
Advanced

I hope Smail Acura is that thorough this weekend when mine goes in for the 8th TPMS problem.