Intermittent Engine Squeal @ 2000RPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Intermittent Engine Squeal @ 2000RPM

Hi everyone,
My 2008 RDX (non tech, 39000 miles) is out of warranty March 2012. I have had an intermittent squeal that has been coming from the engine (passenger side) this has been going on for about 8-9 months now intermittently. I have taken the car to the dealership and they could not reproduce the squeal. Instead they told me that maybe it is the K&N air filter. I told them it was making the noise before I installed the K&N filter.
It originally sounded like a slipping belt and was quite loud but it went away after driving it a mile or so, that is how it started. Now it will make noises only when the car has been warmed up and then parked for an hour or so. Then if started again the noise occurs (heat soaked). This noise occurs at about 1800-2100 RPM. Any higher RPM and the noise goes away. Also you can here it by revving the engine in park. So the transmission is probably not involved.
Has anyone had this issue or does anyone have any ideas?
My thought is it may be the Turbo bearings failing (Although I always change my oil on time and use Acura oil filters). Or possibly a belt tensioner yet I would think the squeal would be all the time and not consistently in the 1800-2100 RPM range. Also would either of these two possibilities be this intermittent?
Help would be appreciated as I don't want to get stuck paying for a major repair after my warranty has expired.
Thanks!
Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Instructor

I guess no one has had this issue. After looking in the warranty manual and reading a post here online. I see my powertrain warranty should cover a turbo failure. So I will drive it until it continuously makes the noise.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by gsvette
I guess no one has had this issue. After looking in the warranty manual and reading a post here online. I see my powertrain warranty should cover a turbo failure. So I will drive it until it continuously makes the noise.
I too have a 2008 RDX non-tech (bought new in June 2008) and all is well with it so far. I wish I had an answer or suggestion to your current issue but no clue. Please keep us posted when you learn more. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Instructor

I will post the solution if it ever gets resolved! But at least it does not seem to affect the performance. And so far it is just intermittent noise.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 PM
2008 Honda Civic Mugen Si

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our RDX have develop a whine/squeal noise thats related to the RPM (gets louder with higher RPMs) during this past month. I did notice it's coming out from the passenger side of the engine. Took it to the dealer today and they say it might be the Power Steering. Tried to refill the fluid and change the O-Ring and no luck. They're ordering a new PS pump that should be here on Wed. I'll let you know if that solves it. 07 RDX Tech 84000 miles.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Instructor

I appreciate it PANG-S2, Let me know what they find!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX started squealing too

I'd love to hear how this turns out.

My 07' RDX started squealing from the passenger engine bay I was thinking the same thing, tensioner some belt related issue. It's RPM dependent and get louder at higher rpm. The funny thing is that when the fan kicks on it stops as soon as the fan kicks off the squeal comes back.

Anyone have similar experience?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The water pump is driven by the external serpentine belt so this may not be for you if you don't want to try this. You may damage or overheat your engine if you do this. Try this at your own risk! You have been warned!

Remove the belt and let me know if the noise goes away.

If the noise goes away then its is either one or a combination of the PS pump, water pump, A/C compressor, belt tensioner or the serpentine belt.

My guess its the serpentine belt or belt tensioner or both.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Apologize for the late update but here it is so far.

My local Honda dealer ordered and replaced the PS pump, and nope, noise still there. My honda dealer said take it to Acura, they might be able to diagnose it better. Acura said, new alternator, but I didn't have them fix it.

Now I just bought the alternator myself last week and got it installed today by my local Honda dealer....and....hmph, the noise is still there. So I have an extra fully functioning old alternator that I'm keeping for now.

Next step is the AC compressor. My Honda tech did notice the noise goes away for about 3-5 secs when you turn on the AC and the fan kicks in. He told me to leave the RDX for a few day so he can pin point the noise and make sure its coming from the A/C compressor, clutch, etc.. before I buy any more parts. Right now I'm tired of this problem, but at least the wife is understandable as of now. We're thinking of leaving the car for the tech for a few days during spring break. I will get this thing figured out and fixed and I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
FYI the rdx uses a timing chain, the tensioner should be a manual tensioner.

Gsvett, If I was you I'd troubleshoot the accessory pulleys and belt, may be rubbing against something. And your absolutely right the whine does not come from aftermarket air filters. Highly doubt you have problems with the turbo. Also look for a vac leak if nothing else.
GL
Old 04-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Yup, AC Compressor was the caused of the whine/squeal whatever you want to call it. With brand new AC compressor and $870 later, it's all fixed now, I just hope nothing else needs replacing for the time being.

FYI current mileage: 88,458
When we bought the RDX: Sep 2006

Last edited by PANG-S2; 04-27-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Porvida505
I'd love to hear how this turns out.

My 07' RDX started squealing from the passenger engine bay I was thinking the same thing, tensioner some belt related issue. It's RPM dependent and get louder at higher rpm. The funny thing is that when the fan kicks on it stops as soon as the fan kicks off the squeal comes back.

Anyone have similar experience?
Typically the fans kick on when the compressor turns on / clutch engages, or when thermostat hits the trigger temp and turns fans on to lower temp in engine bay. This leads me to believe that when the compressor kicks in, more tension is placed on the Belt which stops the squealing. I think its either time for a new belt or belt tensioner. sounds simple, but try to throw a lil belt dressing on ur belt. Its not ideal, but it might help.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Oh wait... so it was not the K&N . . . . ? The stealership is a J O K E.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:29 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I had a squealing belt that would go quiet as soon as some soapy water was squirted on it. I replaced the belt and all is good.

For those who are looking to replace the belt, simply get the drive belt tool loaned from your local Autozone and use a 12pt 14mm socket on the tensioner to remove the belt. I put did the PS pulley first/last. When installing, you can reach the lower crank pulley from the bottom of the car to get the belt aligned.