front window rattling

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front window rattling

when driving with my front windows open to about 3", they rattle like crazy. ive noticed they wiggle a lot when opened a few inches. when its cracked open theres no play in the window or when its opened at least half way. any one else have this problem??
Old 06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Instructor

do you have low profile tires ?

cause i'm noticing the same thing after i changed rims with low profile tires
Old 06-01-2010, 01:50 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
common characterstic of Honda. Zero you are going to do about it. Its recognized in all models and considered normal operation (even tho the issue is terrible and gives you an immediate impression of lack of quality)

its happened in every honda & acura product i have owned, and i have owned a TON. lol

each one i have brought into service for it and besides an extra lube/grease, there is nothing to be done, because the window itself is as tight as possible in the housing inside the door. (ive been in the shop during the check, taking the door off...) If your window is cracked, and you have some bumps or wind turbulence, its gonna happen. And that sucks, because, i dunno bout everyone, but who opens their window all the way all the time. However, its still a concern and still warrants a service check if ur under warranty so give it a shot anyways, who knows something actually could be up with it
Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
common characterstic of Honda. Zero you are going to do about it. Its recognized in all models and considered normal operation (even tho the issue is terrible and gives you an immediate impression of lack of quality)

its happened in every honda & acura product i have owned, and i have owned a TON. lol

each one i have brought into service for it and besides an extra lube/grease, there is nothing to be done, because the window itself is as tight as possible in the housing inside the door. (ive been in the shop during the check, taking the door off...) If your window is cracked, and you have some bumps or wind turbulence, its gonna happen. And that sucks, because, i dunno bout everyone, but who opens their window all the way all the time. However, its still a concern and still warrants a service check if ur under warranty so give it a shot anyways, who knows something actually could be up with it
Our 1999 TL did it, and our old 1996 Integra did it. My parents CR-V does it.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Instructor

i didn't notice the window rattling sound until i changed my rims and tires to low profile

stock tires were fine, no sound !!!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981

+1. Yep, as Mike says it's a common characterstic of Honda a.k.a. Acura. I've had four Acuras and loved them but the loose window rattle when partially open is nuts. Come on Acura, tighten up the build quility. Mechanically and reliability the cars are great hence being a long time customer but these little things are starting to get to me.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

i still have stock tires and it rattles. just drives me nuts cause i cant drive with the window partially open. just makes it sound like a cheap car
Old 06-11-2010, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drew11588
when driving with my front windows open to about 3", they rattle like crazy. ive noticed they wiggle a lot when opened a few inches. when its cracked open theres no play in the window or when its opened at least half way. any one else have this problem??
My RDX does that too. Don't fret it... it is common with all Honda products and other japanese cars especially with the subarus... Bottom line is, you want to have a rock solid feel car, buy the BMW or Mercedes. Even then, trust me, there will be some rattling, especially if you drive on roads like those in Massachusetts. Man, there are some roads here in Mass, that makes me feel like my RDX will rattle free of its bolts! My RDX feels rock solid when driven on mostly smooth roads.

Lexus is one of those that might be "almost" rattle free. But drive it for a few years, those bolts will eventually loosen up, and rattles become a common thing again...
Old 06-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

All cars eventually rattle. Every single one.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
All cars eventually rattle. Every single one.
True. All cars eventually rattle. But when spending 30K or more on a brand new car/CUV/etc one would expect it to be mostly rattle free for it's initial 3-4 years of life. Rattles after one year is nuts!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Advanced

i love this forum - do a search and people have a database of almost everything. i noticed my wife's front window rattle coz she opened it a tad today (say 1"). - have owned the car for half a yr now (3.5k Miles so far) thought it was only hers. so i tried mine. i opened it for say 2". less rattle but still there. at that point i said, ah, cant be a major issue since both sides have it . went home, searched the forum, and in some perverse way, felt better that other people have had the same issue. of course i prefer no rattle but again, nice to see people sharing their inputs on this. i still love acura rdx despite the rattles . mind you of course i prefer no rattles... i think im over the honeymoon period with the vehicle as i also have my wife driving it now fm time to time . i just hope they improve on future models (am eyeing a tsx or mdx or the replacement "rdx" in the future for a 2nd vehicle) - still cant trust the reliability of the germans (but that's just based on my own experience in the past with VW golfs circa early 00's)

Last edited by stoxxsp500; 08-01-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

I had all four window rattle,I took it to the shop ,and it dont go away,but made it allot better ,
Old 08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Damiien
I had all four window rattle,I took it to the shop ,and it dont go away,but made it allot better ,
you sure it wasnt placebo effect? based on the PP it didnt really make any diff. will talk to the dealer about it when i bring it for servicing next month but i do doubt anything could be done. if it's a problem most if not all honda owners have, for me, so be it.