Feel a slight jerk/push when gear shifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feel a slight jerk/push when gear shifts

Hey guys so I just picked up my 2009 Acura RDX with 101,000KM yesterday and I am noticing something.

I had a 2012 HONDS CIVIC exl with 105,000 KM and when I use to drive that, the gear shift was smoooth. No jerk or heavy feeling at all.

With the Rdx, from a stop light when I accelerate slowly, I can feel a slight slight slight jerk..
Even a slighter jerk on 3rd gear.

However, if I press the pedal and go somewhat fast, I don't feel that jerk when shifting gear. It's smooth as butter.

I'm wondering what the issue is, is there an upcoming transmission issue?

I am not that technical but my car was off and I took out the transmission fluid dip stick and the colour was nice and pink. But I can't tell how much fluid is there because it didn't cover the two holes in the stick...

I also didn't notice any oil leak or fluid leak.. They also did an engine wash and it looks brand new so I can't tell whether there are any leaks or not. However, no sign of leaks on my drive way.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
New car break-in effect

From other vehicles I've owned, this temperament comes as a result of how the car was broken in. A car driven harder in its early miles can drive much differently than the same car driven more gently in its early miles. The RDX I bought second hand is similar and is more than likely a result of the original drivers having a lead foot.

Source of my opinion: When I was in high school, my sister and I drove exactly the same model and year of pickup trucks, brand new, for a year. I had a lead foot and she didn't. The shift quality in those things after one year was VERY different. Mine shifted much like you describe, hers was smooth.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 236 Likes on 208 Posts
The transmission definitely shifts differently depending on the current operating temp and throttle input. For me, it seems to be at its smoothest at moderate throttle (not driving like a granny or a teenager). When cold (first 5 or so minutes of driving), it shifts a little rougher but not bad by any means (same as most autos I've driven). It also shifts a little rougher in the middle of summer after being on the road a while - I'm talking 115 degree Phoenix heat with the a/c blasting. Again, the difference is subtle and maybe not even noticeable from the passenger seat. I have about 86k miles o n mine.