Emissions Light (for the love of god...)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Devour.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Emissions Light (for the love of god...)

Hey guys!

I own a 2009 RDX (auto w/navi), and throughout owning the car, it has intermittently given me issues with an emissions error light. I cannot seem to get this problem fixed for the life of me.....

It has been to the shop 3 times for service because of this issue, but every time, the light eventually comes back. I have had BOTH o2 sensors replaced, but the issue persists. :why me:

A few weeks ago, I received a letter about the ac compress having some kind of extended warranty through an acura quality program. I informed the mechanics of this the last time I took it in and asked if it could be related to the light issue, but they said no. The compressor has yet to be replaced.

Anyone have any ideas what else it could be? It's driving me up the frickin' wall!

Hope someone can shed some light for me
Old 06-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Devour.
... it [ed: the car] has intermittently given me issues with an emissions error light. I cannot seem to get this problem fixed for the life of me..... ... Hope someone can shed some light for me.
OK, not trying to be mean, but ... More data please - look in your Owner's Manual, and give us the exact name of the 'emissions error light' (MIL - malfunction indicator lamp?).

What does your manual say about this light? Sorry but we cannot see the light - and there are at least a dozen lights on the center Gauge Panel.

If its really the "emissions" light, and its flashing, tighten your fuel tank fill-plug. Otherwise, go to an auto-parts store and have them read/ check for any DTCs (data trouble code).

But seriously, if there is really a problem, then the MID (multi-informational display) should be reporting something?

All of those vehicle computers are there for a reason - to help you diagnose any problem.

So, either post a picture showing the specific light which concerns you - or give a very detailed description of your problem. I at least, am not prescient.

Last edited by dcmodels; 06-04-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Devour.

Originally Posted by dcmodels
OK, not trying to be mean, but ... More data please - look in your Owner's Manual, and give us the exact name of the 'emissions error light' (MIL - malfunction indicator lamp?).

What does your manual say about this light? Sorry but we cannot see the light - and there are at least a dozen lights on the center Gauge Panel.

If its really the "emissions" light, and its flashing, tighten your fuel tank fill-plug. Otherwise, go to an auto-parts store and have them read/ check for any DTCs (data trouble code).

But seriously, if there is really a problem, then the MID (multi-informational display) should be reporting something?

All of those vehicle computers are there for a reason - to help you diagnose any problem.

So, either post a picture showing the specific light which concerns you - or give a very detailed description of your problem. I at least, am not prescient.
Oops! Sorry, was rushing to write this up while I was on break and left out some stuff

Will double check the exact code/light when I get home from work today! Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
If the dealer can't find the issue, neither can you. If it is just a light, why bother letting it freak you out. As dc said, the most common issue is a bad gas cap. If you are running good 93 octaine unleaded and the vehicle is operating normally, short of changing out the ECU, who knows what is wrong with it.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Devour.

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
If the dealer can't find the issue, neither can you. If it is just a light, why bother letting it freak you out. As dc said, the most common issue is a bad gas cap. If you are running good 93 octaine unleaded and the vehicle is operating normally, short of changing out the ECU, who knows what is wrong with it.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "freaking me out", but I understand what you're getting at. The car drives perfectly fine. It's just superrrrr annoying.

Would love to get it to STAY off if at all possible.

Is there any chance that it's in some way related to the recall on the ac compressor that I received the extended warranty/quality program letter for? Trying to keep track of when exactly the light comes on now, because the last time, it DID pop up almost immediately after the AC kicked in.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Devour.

Trying to keep this thread alive and get some info/thoughts from you guys, but of course, now the light is off again -__-

Didn't get a chance to read what code it threw exactly. Is there a way to look it up/is it stored somewhere?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
So did you get a new gas cap from acura? it shouldnt be more than $30 my guess.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently encountered a flood of emission codes with my 07 Tech:
  • Emissions System: P0135
  • Emissions System: P0498
  • Airbag System:
  • All-Wheel Drive: 77
  • Emissions System: P0171
According to the dealership, the culprits were bad O2 sensors. Not sure why it took them a week to replace both of them. Supposedly they had to keep ordering parts. Makes me wonder what the in-house parts department actually stocks. $100 cashmere blend Acura logo scarfs?

After those were replaced all codes were cleared and haven't returned. My understanding is that it was a cascade of things. Bad emissions put the engine into some sort of safety mode which put the AWD into a safety mode, etc. Don't know why the airbag was thrown in the mix, however.

I'm certain I don't have the whole explanation of what went on, but I'm choosing to remain blissfully ignorant. I pray this doesn't happen again.

And, yes, the diagnosis began by inspecting the gas cap.

Last edited by Try2BWise; 06-07-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spacing was bugging me
The following users liked this post:
Devour. (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Devour.

Originally Posted by Vividsi
So did you get a new gas cap from acura? it shouldnt be more than $30 my guess.
I guess that will be my next step, since I no longer have the code to go off of/point me in some kind of direction anyway.... lol

Anything to get this light to go away and STAY away haha
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Devour.

Originally Posted by Try2BWise
I recently encountered a flood of emission codes with my 07 Tech:
  • Emissions System: P0135
  • Emissions System: P0498
  • Airbag System:
  • All-Wheel Drive: 77
  • Emissions System: P0171
According to the dealership, the culprits were bad O2 sensors. Not sure why it took them a week to replace both of them. Supposedly they had to keep ordering parts. Makes me wonder what the in-house parts department actually stocks. $100 cashmere blend Acura logo scarfs?

After those were replaced all codes were cleared and haven't returned. My understanding is that it was a cascade of things. Bad emissions put the engine into some sort of safety mode which put the AWD into a safety mode, etc. Don't know why the airbag was thrown in the mix, however.

I'm certain I don't have the whole explanation of what went on, but I'm choosing to remain blissfully ignorant. I pray this doesn't happen again.

And, yes, the diagnosis began by inspecting the gas cap.

Yeah, everytime I leave my dealership, I feel out of the loop (the way they "Half explain" things). They have already replaced 2 o2 sensors in my car and the light continues to come on intermittently. Frustrating
Old 06-07-2013, 02:52 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Didn't get a chance to read what code it threw exactly. Is there a way to look it up/is it stored somewhere?
The stored DTCs should still be in memory. You can access them yourself:

1. simultaneously press "Map/Guide" "Menu" and "Cancel" until it enters the Select Diagnosis Items screen.
2. click on XM (HIP) lower right, then XM (HIP) ECU to reach the Select Telematics Diagnosis screen.
3. six items should be displayed; choose number 3, Diagnostic Info
4. click on your trouble message or messages.

Then post the codes and messages.
Devour. (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Devour.

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
The stored DTCs should still be in memory. You can access them yourself:

1. simultaneously press "Map/Guide" "Menu" and "Cancel" until it enters the Select Diagnosis Items screen.
2. click on XM (HIP) lower right, then XM (HIP) ECU to reach the Select Telematics Diagnosis screen.
3. six items should be displayed; choose number 3, Diagnostic Info
4. click on your trouble message or messages.

Then post the codes and messages.
That's a great piece of info, thank you!

The exact error code is "Emissions System: P0139"

Hopefully this helps a little!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Devour.

Did a little digging and this particular code is triggered by the driver side rear (downstream) o2 sensor, from what I've read. Since I've already had both o2 sensors replaced, I assume my next step would be looking into replacing the CAT?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 148 Posts
Did a little digging and this particular code is triggered by the driver side rear (downstream) o2 sensor, from what I've read. Since I've already had both o2 sensors replaced, I assume my next step would be looking into replacing the CAT?
You have not stated whether your RDX was purchased new or used, and the current miles. But ...

You will need to check in the Owner's Manual/ Warranty manual - I believe that current CATs are warrantied for 8 years or 150K miles, depends on CALIF or federal regs for your car.

Also, if its the O2 sensor (again), those usually carry a warranty when installed by the dealer - please check with a dealer for the actual warranty. Should be at least 1-year warranty or 12K miles.

You must check the above info, as my memory may be faulty, or your situation may differ. Good luck.
Devour. (06-09-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
It's not the cat. The cat has it's own DTC codes.

P0139 is "Secondary O2 Sensor Slow Response". The procedure for that code is resetting the Powertrain Control Module and doing an idle learn procedure, then looking for the code to return.

If the code returns, the procedure calls for O2 sensor replacement; which you've already done. Beyond that, the procedure calls for checking all of the electrical connections between the O2 sensor and the PCM.

The greatest likelyhood is that they did a poor job troubleshooting and you have a loose connection or an intermittently grounded wire on that new O2 sensor.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:33 PM
CSmoney28

Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
Reviving another old thread code popped up but I was able to clear it didn't come back yet...following this guide though...

P0139 ACURA - HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2 Slow Response

P0139 ACURA Possible Causes

• Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
  • Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
  • Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Inappropriate fuel pressure
  • Faulty fuel injectors
  • Intake air leaks may be faulty
  • Exhaust gas leaks

How is the P0139 ACURA code repair?

Start by checking the "Possible Causes" listed above. Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's p

Tech NotesReplacing the Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 usually takes care of the problem.

What is the cost to diagnose the P0139 ACURA code

Labor: 1.0

The cost to diagnose the P0139 ACURA code is 1.0 hour of labor. The auto repair's diagnosis time and labor rates vary by location, vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour.

When is the code detected?The P0139 code is set when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the rear O2 sensor takes more time to respond between rich and lean than the specified time.

Possible Symptoms
  • Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
  • High Fuel Consumption
  • Excessive Smoke from Exhaust
P0139 ACURA MeaningThe Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 (HO2S), after three way catalyst (manifold), monitors the oxygen level in the exhaust gas on each bank. For optimum catalyst operation, the air fuel mixture (air-fuel ratio) must be maintained near the ideal stoichiometric ratio. The HO2S output voltage changes suddenly in the vicinity of the stoichiometric ratio. The Engine Control Module (ECM) adjusts the fuel injection time so that the air-fuel ratio is nearly stoichiometric. The HO2S generates a voltage between 0.1 and 0.9 V in response to oxygen in the exhaust gas. If the oxygen in the exhaust gas increases, the air-fuel ratio becomes Lean. The ECM interprets Lean when the HO2S voltage is below 0.45 V. If the oxygen in the exhaust gas decreases, the air-fuel ratio becomes Rich. The ECM interprets Rich when the HO2S voltage is above 0.45 V.