Down Hill Assist??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down Hill Assist??

I'm still trying to get used to our '10 RDX.

I discovered if I'm stopped at any upward incline I'll roll back as if I'm in neutral. This is automatic but it's as if I'm holding down a clutch, it's that bad.

If that's normal I'm ok with it.. not happy about it.. but at least it means there aren't any sort of transmission or stability control issues.

Is this normal and I just need to deal with it? or is there an adjustment or calibration that can be done that will help to maintain position at a stop?

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I've found it to be true for most all automatics. To give you piece of mind use the mechanical/parking brake as if it where a clutch. Press the parking brake(left foot) to the floor then take your right foot off the brake pedal when car is in park. The transmission bares the load of the vehicle all the time, does the stress translate into fatigue depends on how you look at.

Ka-Chunk sounds are never good. More than likely it's ok, I use the parking brake all the time while inclined.

To go from park to drive put right foot and push to floor on brake pedal and shift from park to rev or drive. Now with left foot release the park brake. G2g

Last edited by Kaze66218; 09-12-2011 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shinyblind (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
I always engage the parking brake before shifting into park on an incline. Having the +4000lbs RDX roll back with the tranny only in park can't be good over time.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
8th Gear

I agree about shifting into Park.. but what about just being stopped on a hill while in Drive? I roll back and actually pick up speed rolling backward while in Drive. I imagine you could easily mash on the pedal and still be rolling backward while your tires are spinning forward (r-d's when I was a kid)

Just, I've owned many cars and never had one roll back so freely while in Drive.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shinyblind
what about just being stopped on a hill while in Drive? I roll back and actually pick up speed rolling backward while in Drive. I imagine you could easily mash on the pedal and still be rolling backward while your tires are spinning forward
This is due to the way automatic transmissions work. Unless you force the car to not be in a motion gear (by putting it in park or neutral) it will always remain in gear. However an automatic works much the same (in theory only, the actual operation is very different) as a manual transmission and clutch when stopped.

In a manual transmission the driver will control when the clutch slips and grabs through actuating the clutch pedal. An automatic transmission will do this electronically or mechanically with the torque converter. When below a specific RPM (usually 1400-1800 in a vehicle without a performance torque converter) the torque converter will "stall" meaning the engine can spin at a different speed than the transmission. Much like when you push the clutch in on a manual.

Torque converters will have some friction on the transmission while stopped or "stalling" (and some more or less than others). This is why most cars with an automatic transmission will roll forward while in gear and on level ground with no brake engaged. However, if you are on enough of an incline the weight of the vehicle will eventually exceed the amount of resistance created by the torque converter and the car can roll backward. This is a good thing though, because if it werent like this your engine would cut off because the transmission would be resisting it from rotating and could actually turn the engine backwards.

As for your comment about the wheels spinning forward while the car is rolling backwards: While technically possible on dry pavement, it is not likely (in an RDX); but not terribly hard in low traction or slippery conditions. This is where VSA and AWD comes into play. You could always (as previously mentioned) use your emergency brake to prevent you rolling backward until you have the gas pedal pressed. Although doing so excessively in amount or frequency could cause premature wear on the torque converter.

(please forgive me if you already knew this stuff, I do not mean to insult anyone's intelligence)
shinyblind (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Indeed a heavy car, but the hills around here are nothing like the alps. Sounds like that's were your at. Lol. Anyway, in that case give it gas and let off the brake. Learning to drive a manual in your area is prolly very difficult, in the beginning.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:39 PM
8th Gear

No insult taken! You mechanically verbalized what I knew.. I'm emphasizing the fact in this vehicle there is no resistance to rolling backward while remaining in gear. The good thing is you mentioned this is actually a good thing for the car, mechanically. So I'm happy. Just no falling asleep when you're driving this car.

I can still see my neighbors face watching me SMOKE my tires of my '69 LTD 429 w/C6 trans interceptor gear and the pedal 12" off the floor! I went through so many tires in that ex troopers car, what fun!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 AM
4th Gear

I had to resurrect this 2 year old post. I've had my RDX for over 9 months, but keep wondering about this. I see this daily as the entrance/exit of our subdivision is on a decent hill. Yes its normal, but i've went as far as to try both of our cars (one of which is a TSX), and they rolled but not without some resistance. But as some have said, i've never had an automatic that just seemed to have no resistance as if the clutch was fully engaged. I'm glad its normal however.

I wonder if this has to do with the SH-AWD and why they added hill assist to the TL?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 148 Posts
I dont' think it is a good idea to 'hold' an AT vehicle on a hill, by pressing on the accelerator - that is what the brake pedal is for. Using the accelerator, and the trans, is causing the torque convertor to 'slip' at idle - and wear the clutches in 1st gear.

If its uncomfortable, use your left foot on the brake pedal, and then lift while pressing the accelerator with your RIGHT foot, to proceed when the light turns green. JMO and the way I was taught.
-------

As for using the emergency brake, that will save the trans PARK PAWL from breaking sometime, when you shift from PARK to DRIVE/ REVERSE. That ca-chunk is indeed a bad sign. And replacing the pawl is not easy (read expensive).

Last edited by dcmodels; 08-15-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Mr Marco (08-15-2013)
Old 12-02-2014, 10:18 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
1) I have some resistance on hills, major inclines not really but regular small hills I have resistance like any other vehicle. 2) Don't hold the accelerator as a brake on a hill, kills the clutch.