2011 RDX transfer case problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 RDX transfer case problem

Hello all, I've been reading on this forum for some time now, as I was previously on DriveAccord. Both forums have saved me time and money! I have also had other assistance such as EricTheCarGuy, MightyCarMods and I also have the service manual that is used by the Acura technicians (PDF form)

In 2015 I acquired a 2011 Acura RDX SH-AWD, Pearl White with 78 000km (48 000miles). She drives really good in the snow up here in Ottawa, Canada.
It has been a loving vehicle for sure and I am not looking to trade it in any time soon; it has been tempting at times.
There has been a few things that I was able to complete myself, such as:
Engine Oil and Filter; transmission, differential and transfer case oil change; brakes (pads and rotors); serpentine belt; spark plugs; cabin air filter; blower motor replacement, audio upgrade...
I've also replaced the battery (purchased at Costco), purchased new summer tires (Michelin Pilot Spot AS/3, Costco) and new winter tires (Michelin x-ice Xi2).

Just before Christmas, my Transfer case went bad. The symptoms were: rotary noise coming from under the car, slight jerk on highway speeds. One day, I reversed out of my parking spot, heard a loud clunk noise, and when I drove forward (no faster than idle on D), the car would jolt forward. I parked it and turned it off after just a few seconds and got her towed.

I did not have roadside assistance at that time, so what I did was subscribe to CAA since they offer 4 towing per year. Thing is, I had to wait 24 hours for my membership to become active. No problem!
Got her towed to the local Acura dealership and that's when they confirmed that the transfer case was defective.

The actual part number is: 29000-RWE-000
Here is the breakdown: $1660 for the transfer case; fluids and hardware: 150$ (including transfer case fluid), 3 hour labor estimate (@120$ an hour) so just shy of $2500 CAD ($1889.80 USD)
They also advised that the part was back ordered and would not get in until Jan 2nd - 12. So in order to save a few coins, I searched on ebay and found the part from a salvage yard in the States. Negotiated and got the part for $80USD, plus tax, shipping and import fees. The total price came up to $180CAD.
This also includes a 30day warranty - which is parts only, not labor :-)

Since the garage has my car and we are middle of winter, I also asked them to change the rear differential fluid and transmission fluid. I think I can afford it since I've saved some money so far by getting this part myself. Even if they would have ordered it themselves, I still would have had to wait, so it made sense for me to do it this way.

I think the mechanical failure is my fault since I did do some brake-boost at times.... I read after the fact that doing this is actually a bad idea for AWD vehicles however I have not read too much on that. If anyone can chime in that would be great!

I do have other minor issues with the car such as:
- the drivers seat: squeaks at times (rectified with some silicone spray) and the left side of the actual seating part seems to be defective. Seems the foam cushion is deteriorated from the left side and the metal frame is a pain in my a$$.
- the lower door seals have come undone, but was rectified with some weatherstrip adhesive.
- both the front Driver and Passenger side windows rattle when half open but seems to be a common issue
- driver side fog light burned but the H11 bulbs were replaced with LED (
Amazon Amazon
)

Hope y'all can give me some insight as to what you think!

Old 01-12-2019, 06:47 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Wow 😲, you’ve had quite the journey since you got your vehicle. Sorry 😐, to hear about all of the problems. Welcome, to the forum I hope your enjoy you’re new vehicle. This truck definitely has it’s reliability issues with certain parts. The window rattle is normal it needs to be put back in the track and the track needs to be greased.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:18 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Our 2007 RDX tech has 240K miles (386K km) and runs like new despite several repairs. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!