2008 RDX Rough idle, battery drain, where is HFL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016 | 08:32 PM
6th Gear

2008 RDX Rough idle, battery drain, where is HFL?

After reading thru some threads I've noticed a common HFL battery drain problem and am wondering if we're having the same issue. Car was fine with the exception of a battery replacement in September. Then out of the blue, as the car was idling at the store, it started running rough, almost like it was going to stall. Parked, went shopping, came out and it started up fine and drove us home 20 miles. The next morning, I went out to leave and it was dead - keyless entry didn't even work. Called AAA, they charged it. While it was running, there was a clicking noise coming from the engine on the drivers side above the wheel. Drove it straight to the shop (not dealership) and they had it for a couple of weeks, trying to replicate the problem. They could not - it ran a bit rough on one occasion, but they could find nothing. We never had any warning lights come on in the interior. Now, after doing some research I'm wondering if it's the HFL. I would like to unplug it, but don't know where to find it - or where I'd look to try and find it. Does anyone know? Or have any other suggestions? 2008 RDX Tech - 113,000 miles. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2016 | 05:23 PM
9th Gear

It is the HFL I went through 2 of them on my 07 TL. It is a common issue it is in the overhead with the homelink controls. So it bakes in the sun and the circuit fries and leaves a constant open circuit and drains the battery. Order the part online and swap it yourself. 10 min max
Old 01-09-2016 | 05:59 PM
6th Gear

Thank you! I'll check it out. The car has been fine since getting if from the shop. We were even out last night with it and this morning, completely dead again. I will definitely start with the HFL and see if that fixes it.
Old 01-10-2016 | 06:49 PM
6th Gear

Update: AAA charged the battery. It ran for a bit. Meanwhile, I took the overhead console out looking for the HFL. Wasn't there. Put it back. Found it on the passenger side, under the carpet, next to the CD player and unplugged it. In that short a time, the car already got to the point of not starting again. So, we'll be calling AAA to jump it again tonight and see if the unplugging of the HFL fixes it.
Old 01-11-2016 | 08:14 AM
6th Gear

Well, that didn't work. I guess we have to go to the dealership.
Old 01-12-2016 | 06:12 PM
6th Gear

Update: Acura says it's the AC clutch relay. Cost $224 plust tax. Will update if this doesn't fix the problem.
Old 01-12-2016 | 07:15 PM
Pro

Yikes, you can order that online for about $20-30 if I recall, and replace it in about 15 seconds. Common problem - if indeed we are talking about the same thing. There should be a DIY about it somewhere here.
Old 01-12-2016 | 07:39 PM
6th Gear

Yes, I did come across that someplace here, but I had to take it to Acura anyway, as the car was dying within an hour of being jumped and the problem had not been diagnosed. So, I'm happy to get away with a reasonable bill if it means I can drive my car tomorrow. There are already hours of my life I spent researching this that I won't get back, so it's all good.