RDX big brake kits?? Other than aftermarket kits, anyone tried OEM upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
RDX big brake kits?? Other than aftermarket kits, anyone tried OEM upgrades?

In the braking world Honda/Acura's can swap all kinds of brake parts onto each other. I would like a larger caliper/rotor combo for my RDX without buying an aftermarket kit.

Anyone tried anything?

I know the RDX 08 uses the same front caliper as a Honda Odyssey 2005-2010.

And an Odyssey those years can swap 09+ Pilot brakes up front which makes it a 330mm rotor and bigger caliper setup. The problem lies in that the odyssey and pilot bolt pattern and hub bore is larger. So to run this you need a 330mm rotor redrilled to 5x114.3

I might try this. But trying to see if anyone has another idea.

Lmk
Old 06-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had this same train of thought when I saw the "massive" 330mm stock rotors on our neighbors 09 Pilot the other day. But alas, also discovered the 5x120 bolt pattern, not to mention the larger hub bore.

So then I began thinking, ok, so forget it having to be Honda specific, just needs to have the same hub bore/bolt pattern, so I began looking around at other Japanese type applications that may check the boxes. Having trouble finding this information though.

Found anything further on your end?
Old 06-22-2015, 12:25 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not yet. Looked at Evo, sti, RL, is350, is250, etc. Still searching. Centric is good about listing exact specs of rotors. Will update when find a solution.

And the Odyssey Upgrade Post Link is here:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/152584-brake-upgrade-success.html#/forumsite/20565/topics/152584
Old 06-22-2015, 06:50 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
on the 3G TL side, we've found through math that by adding or retrofitting the RL caliper onto our car, we upset braking bias and end up getting longer stopping times.

IF i were you, I wouldnt swap calipers with any car, as it can lead to longer stopping distances without any real benefit.

unless you like dropping close to a grand on aesthetic mods that upset braking bias.

the only way i'd do it is if an aftermarket company came out with a big brake kit that actually took the time to size the pistons with the stock brake master cylinder.

if not; it will lead to longer stopping distances.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Good point and some things to be aware of. Honestly, I was thinking more along the lines of heat dissipation capacity rather than decreased stopping distances. Math will also show that a larger rotor generally has a greater dissipative capacity. I believe most "should" be aware that both a more aggressive brake pad and tire are the most effective method to shorten stopping distances anyway.

I guess someone could do some math on the RDX piston vs. Odyssey piston capacity to calculate brake bias...someone else that is.

I'm more encouraged to know the Odyssey caliper bolts up to our spindle because we should be able to find an appropriate 5x114.3 rotor of said diameter and hub bore.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:49 AM

what good is preventing brake fade if you're not stopping shorter!?

right, i'm only here to show the other technical side. I cant stop some one from putting on a larger set of calipers, but i just wanted to show that it might not be a great idea.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced

I actually agree with you on the technical aspects, so I hope I wasn't coming across in disagreement. I guess I should have said that I would like to both decrease brake fade while increasing stopping power.

I would think that if you set this up right, one coulde "upgrade" to the larger caliper/rotor setup and have a more aggressive pad/tire combo for both brake fade resistance combined with greater stopping power.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:04 AM

Old 06-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
How about the 350Z Brembo rotors? That's what the 2G CL/TL guys use when retrofitting the RL calipers. They are 5x114.3 with 67.1 center bore. But they are only 324mm rotors. Not sure how much difference that 1/4 inch makes.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Advanced

I was looking at the 350z Brembo rotors as you suggested but those are 30mm thick versus the 28mm Pilots. However, the hat thickness of 19.2mm is about the same as the 19.3mm for the Pilot so it's not like the rotor offset would be an issue. Might have to use a centering ring/bore adapter of sorts to make something work anyway.

Here's what I've compiled thus far (all front rotors):

RDX Rotor
5x114.3 bolt pattern
64.2mm center bore
28mm thickness
47.2mm total thickness
19.2mm hat thickness (calculated)
296mm total diameter

Pilot Rotor
5x120 bolt pattern
70.2mm center bore
28mm thickness
47.3mm total thickness
19.3mm hat thickness (calculated)
330mm total diameter

I spent a bit of time using this tool on the Brembo site searching for a 5 bolt hole, 28mm thick rotor with varying diameters but have had no such luck finding the perfect rotor.

http://www.bremboaftermarket.com/en/...H=28&SearchC=5

Last edited by bshotts; 06-23-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Advanced

Update...recent breaking development. We may have a winner.

4th gen "SN-95" Ford Mustang Cobra
5x114.3 bolt pattern
71mm center bore
28mm thickness
44mm total thickness
16mm hat thickness (calculated)
330mm total diameter

Center bore is larger, however with the 5x114.3 bolt pattern and self centering lug nuts, I believe the rotor would be centered on the hub. Another thing to note is the difference in hat height (would bring caliper 3mm closer to the back of the wheel spoke.

Another great aspect is that because this is Cobra rotor, there are multitudes of aftermarket rotors including 2 piece (if one were so inclined).
Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 AM
Advanced

Confirmed here: Duralast/Brake Rotor - Front 54046 at AutoZone.com
Old 06-26-2015, 06:46 AM

we're actually having a great discussing right now in the 3rd gen TL about upsetting brake bias.

bshotts, I would def. not do it. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Do you know:
Stopping distance 60-0 with A/S tires
Single piston f/r 131 ft
Brembo front single rear 130 ft

Not worth the effort.
Originally Posted by Timbert
Speaking of the job of the brake pressure proportioning valve, would not the pressure/volume of fluid having to push not one but four pistons on an "upgrade" actually decrease the force of the pads against the rotor? That's if you upgrade the rears and not the fronts. Don't upset the balance!

Demonstration: Find a safe place and hit your ebrake to lock or come close to locking the rear wheels. Keep the wheel straight. The car slows at rate X. Pretty poor stopping distance. Get back to the same speed and floor the normal brake pedal. The car slows at rate more like 5X. Do the math. Your front brakes/tires are doing 80% of the stopping.

I get that the parking brake is not actually using the calipers but the little shoes and a lever instead but the point is the dramatic shift in weight from back to front as you increase braking using the front wheels.
Originally Posted by 94eg!
A floating caliper (stock) uses one piston to do the work of two. Fluid is displaced to press on the backs of both the inside & outside pads. This is why you compare only half the pistons of a fixed caliper to all of those on a floating caliper. If half of the pistons in a "fixed" multi-piston caliper have the same "area" as all the pistons in a standard floating caliper, then system pressure will be exactly the same.

The differences come into play because the fixed multi-piston caliper is stiffer and has less play. Therefore brake system response should be increased (like adding stainless flex hoses). The other major benefit of a fixed caliper is that the of sizing of the leading & trailing pistons can be tuned to allow the pad to wear more evenly than floating calipers.

As for the brake balance (bias), it is also impacted considerably by rotor diameter. A larger front rotor increase front brake torque. This is bad considering OEM brake systems are already front heavy for the sake of stability. To offset this, you use less total piston area than stock in the front calipers. This maintains stock bias or even push it slightly rearward (this is when you get shorter stopping distances). The reduction in total piston area will actually make the brake pedal stiffer too. Win win, but it has to be done correctly.

A rear BBK could go another step further with larger rear rotors (more rear bias) and possibly the same or slightly smaller caliper pistons depending on how the math and real-world-testing plays out.

Systems like the TL's EBD may or may not be able to cope with these changes. Again this requires real world scientific testing. You definitely don't want to simply throw parts at a brake system and go drive hard on the street.
Originally Posted by I hate cars
That basically says it all. The tires determine stopping distance assuming you don't have other problems with the car, not the brakes. The stock brakes can lock the wheels just as the aftermarket ones can lock the wheels. On the Stoptech BBK but most importantly on the Hankook RS-3 255/40/17 tires I had a best of 91' 60-0mph and an average around 94' I believe. They were stopping quicker with every stop because they need heat so 91' would be hard to do without warming them up well. In other words, in the real world, 94' is the more likely number but it's still a vast improvement over stock.

I did drop a few feet of stopping distance when going from the Rotora BBK to the Stoptech. Stoptech keeps the stock bias with less piston area than the stock 1 piston caliper to make up for the additional torque of the larger rotor and the caliper is considerably stiffer than the Rotora giving better feel at the limit.

The only bad thing about the 1pc Stoptech kit is the rotors just won't stay true even in normal driving but there's nothing worse than the Rotora junk.
Originally Posted by I hate cars
There seems to be a bit of learning with the EBD but it's still a mystery to me. Just having sticky tires changes target brake force distribution. I've found the best thing when making changes is to stomp the brakes like an idiot several times from different speeds.

Brake pads seem to make a big difference on stopping distance when ABS is involved too. The apply and release characteristics seem to be very important on the TL. That was another thing I hated about the Rotoras. The pads would bite hard but didn't release very easy. You had to back off the pedal a considerable amount to get them to release. The ABS would apply and then almost let off the brakes completely on a pulse which was scary a few times.

I feel that ABS holds the TL back on good tires in good conditions.

My biggest problem is with EBD. If anyone knows how to modify it or train it, reprogram it, or pull the fuse, I would love to know a way around it.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:47 AM

I would upgrade TIRES way before I started messing with brake proportions
Old 06-26-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced

I agree both more aggressive tire and pad is the best bang for the buck. However, when coming up on minimum rotor thickness and pad replacement...nice to know you could upsize the rotor/caliper.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Advanced

I guess a little background on where I'm coming from. Wife's RDX currently has Conti DWS (which granted aren't Max Performance Summer tires) but they do hold their own in terms of dry grip and Akebono ceramic pads. After a hard pull to 100+ not too long ago, got on brakes and literally had to stand on the pedal to haul it down and even then brakes felt spongy and unresponsive. Never wanted to have that happen again. Could not lock the tires or get ABS to activate.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:59 PM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by bshotts
I guess a little background on where I'm coming from. Wife's RDX currently has Conti DWS (which granted aren't Max Performance Summer tires) but they do hold their own in terms of dry grip and Akebono ceramic pads. After a hard pull to 100+ not too long ago, got on brakes and literally had to stand on the pedal to haul it down and even then brakes felt spongy and unresponsive. Never wanted to have that happen again. Could not lock the tires or get ABS to activate.
bleed the brake lines and get some slotted rotors.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 PM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
thats just a quick band aid not a permanent solution i look forward to seeing where this goes.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Another development....this time "MATH" being involved.

Information source for all these specs are a combination of Autozone/Centric dimensional drawings and spec lists.

According to Centric site:
2007 Acura RDX
Caliper pistons:
Front: (x4) 45.5mm
Rear: (x2) 38mm

Rotor diameter:
Front: 295mm
Rear: 305mm

Master cylinder: 7/8" diameter

---->Calculated static brake bias: 2.75 or 73%/27% (F/R)

2010 Acura MDX/2010 Honda Pilot
Caliper pistons:
Front: (x4) 50.8mm
Rear: (x2) 43mm

Rotor diameter:
Front: 330mm
Rear: 335mm

Master cylinder: 7/8" diameter

---->Calculated static brake bias: 2.74 or 72%/28% (F/R)

Brake bias calculations were done using the following tool:
Brake Bias Calculator

Now there should be no question that brake bias would not be upset on the complete retrofit. The research begins to find out if the Pilot/MDX caliper bolts up the the rear RDX hub and check parking brake implications. I did have an initial concern on how the RDX vs. MDX handles proportioning as I think it may be controlled via VSA or more traditional brake force distribution valve (not sure on that), however since the brake bias and ratios don't change, you really would just see an increase in thermal capacity and brake overall brake torque. Wouldn't expect pedal effort to be much different, maybe a bit more stiff?

Last edited by bshotts; 06-30-2015 at 09:09 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 06-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any further development on this? Interested in MDX swap for the RDX.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm loving the enthusiasm!
Old 07-27-2018, 03:27 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried that mdx brake swap?
Old 07-29-2018, 05:37 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Good evening,

Fast-brakes already makes a big brake kit for the RDX.

Fastbrakes Acura RDX 13" 6 piston performance big brake kit
Old 07-29-2018, 06:48 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wanting front and rear upgrades
Old 07-29-2018, 07:53 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Good evening,

Those fit on the front and rear you just need to put bigger wheels.