need newbie help replacing a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
need newbie help replacing a turbo

2011 RDX, AWD, single-owner, tech-package

My turbo is busted and I need to replace it - wastegate issue - documented in detail HERE - I've read a ton of threads here but honestly, it's all way over my head. I'm a smart person, just not a car person. I live in the city so I don't have the capacity to do any work myself. So I'm looking for help identifying a new turbo I can buy within the following criteria:
  • ideally new, not rebuilt
  • good quality (of course this is subjective but I trust the collective judgement of the smart folks on this forum)
  • specs close to the original OEM turbo
    • ie: I don't need souped-up stuff, performance is not a priority; I would be 100% happy with the exact same OEM turbo
  • ideally, I could keep to a minimum the extra parts/kits/etc required to "fit" my new turbo into my RDX
Questions:sorry about the noob questions here... just trying to get my car back to 'normal' with as little pain as possible
Old 05-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
From all the research I've done, there's not a huge aftermarket following on these cars. The turbo you're looking at appears to be similar in design, but it's difficult to know the reliability and quality of non-OEM parts.

My personal opinion? The turbo in the link is $2400, and online brand new turbos from Acura are around $3200, I would spend the extra $800 and know that it's exactly the same. I'm certainly not criticizing you for wanting to save some money, believe me it's hard to bite the turbo bullet. But in the grand scheme of things, these turbos are kind of a one-off design so replacing it with something that looks similar may or may not pay off, know what I mean?

Blouch doesn't make a turbo for our car. They modify the frame (if you send yours in to them), but they don't actually make them unfortunately.

Another thing I may suggest if you want to really save some money, due to the fact that it's a turbo component that fialed and not the turbo itself, you can purchase a Turbosmart universal wastegate and have a shop custom make a bracket for it and you're back on the road with the same turbo since it's still good.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jngnyc
2011 RDX, AWD, single-owner, tech-package

My turbo is busted and I need to replace it - wastegate issue - documented in detail HERE - I've read a ton of threads here but honestly, it's all way over my head. I'm a smart person, just not a car person. I live in the city so I don't have the capacity to do any work myself. So I'm looking for help identifying a new turbo I can buy within the following criteria:
  • ideally new, not rebuilt
  • good quality (of course this is subjective but I trust the collective judgement of the smart folks on this forum)
  • specs close to the original OEM turbo
    • ie: I don't need souped-up stuff, performance is not a priority; I would be 100% happy with the exact same OEM turbo
  • ideally, I could keep to a minimum the extra parts/kits/etc required to "fit" my new turbo into my RDX
Questions:sorry about the noob questions here... just trying to get my car back to 'normal' with as little pain as possible
Hey buddy, i am having the same issue as you. I think i need to replace my turbo too. I have done so much, and still have the same P2263 code, i fear the same boat as you. I will let you know if i find something but Im with you in same thing .
Let me know what you find.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:32 PM
CSmoney28

Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Good evening,

If the vehicle is not drivable I would have your turbo taken out and send it to Blouch Performance. Have them see if they could fix it.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmax
Hey buddy, i am having the same issue as you. I think i need to replace my turbo too. I have done so much, and still have the same P2263 code, i fear the same boat as you. I will let you know if i find something but Im with you in same thing .
Let me know what you find.
your small wastegate actuator is broken that causes this code and it's a small washer that can be welded to fix that issue but it's a pain in to take apart.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So update... I had my local mechanic remove the turbo and send it into http://gpopshop.com/

They rebuilt it, sent it back, and I got it put back in - drove about 1500 miles since then. Goes without saying that the code hasn't reappeared since.

COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. These guys are awesome - super helpful and patient for someone who knows sh*t about engines and turbos. Can't say it enough, couldn't be happier. I strongly encourage you to give them a call, ask for Jim.
The following users liked this post:
josiahmgillespie (11-20-2020)
Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 PM
CSmoney28

Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Great, thank you for all of the information.