CP-E Intake and Moisture.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
CP-E Intake and Moisture.

Ive been running the CP-E intake sys ever since it was introduced to the market and have come across a few things.
As with all the aftermarket intake systems, after installation, the sound of intake suction and pressure release is very pronounced.
This intake utilizes the longest pipe which situates the air cleaner between the battery and the right front fender. This, I would imagine, to benefit from a cooler intake air charge.
Now, because of where the cleaner is now located, the stock 'intake air cover' has to be removed. When this is done there is an opening left that enters to the area behind the fog lights (lower front bumper area). You'd look at this and say to yourself, oh a nice source of cold air for the system. This area is also enclosed by the wheel well fender guard.
A few years ago I was driving home from work on a pretty wet and rainy day, water everywhere. After about 20mins in these conditions, an opportunity arises for an overtake and I pull out and floor it. As I reach alongside the overtakee all hell breaks loose; the car feels like it hit a brick wall, all turbo power is lost, the dash lights up with all sorts of lights, emmissions check engine, sh-awd sys check etc etc. The engine is still running, but very rough and wont go on boost ...so I limp the rest of the way home.
At home I switch off and then back on the engine. Most of the codes clear. Go for a spin and floor it..same deal.
I let the car sit till the next day (sunny now) and start up.......car runs fine (WTF)
As time passes I find a trend emerging.....driving for prolonged periods in heavy rain will cause the problem. Even to the point where if the car just sits in the rain, for a long time not having even been driven this would occur.(WTF) By this time I travel with a trusty code reader/clearer... code P103, which has to do with the high side on the mass air sensor I think.
So a few months ago after driving in a downpour I park in the driveway and start yet another trouble shoot. It always consisted of trying to see how water could be causing the problem. The air filter always looked dry. What I had'nt done is check the underside of the filter (which is adjacent to that area mentioned earlier) and which you cant get to because of space restaints, without removing the aircleaner entierly. But before doing or realising that I remove the Mass air sensor from the CP-E intake pipe. Low and behold its dripping wet (WTF). I dry it with paper towels and a hair drier and reinstall.... engine runs like a dream untill I floor the gas pedal> check lights again. I clear em and pull out the sensor again...its wet! So now I determine that the filter must be wet, I mean where else could the water be coming from right. After re-drying an re-installing the sensor, I remove the filter and find that the underside is indeed wet ..............ohkay then!
So.....why when the car just sits in heavy rain for a prolonged period, say it rain all night, and when you start up in the morning you get the problem occuring? Well it turns out that water somehow leaks from above i.e. the hood seal headlight area unto the air filter and as you start up it again soaks the sensor due to suction!

I havent come up with a fix for this yet, just need to find a way to shield the filter from water.

I'm also puzzled or surprised really, how I'm the only one that has had or mentioned this problem...anyways, I'm just glad I know what the problem is now!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow, what a pain!

Glad you diagnosed that problem!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know. I might look into one of AEM's moisture shields.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Too much moisture?

wspy,

West Indies parties go all night!

Some times hot and humid though? Sounds like a cooling nightmare.

Do you ever monitor your actual cooling temps?

Not o/e vague white bars, but real temps?
If so, do you know the peak you have seen?

Our vert is a bottom feeder. The filter is in front of the rad mounted thru the shroud w/ a pipe going overtop into the tb. The maf is right after the filter. It is an asphalt vacuuming, steet sweeping, flying plastic gulping bottom feeder.

It would seem this setup with the air/rain/debris forced into the rad may p/u even more moisture in the form of rain and droplets than your setup. Never had any problem driving in rain and puddles in ~10 yrs. Ha, a little moisture may help remove carbon.

So not all cars w/maf sensors are as sensitive?
Is it the difference in the type/style of sensor used?
I have not seen the RDX sensor yet. On the vert all the air goes thru the body of the maf sensor.

Does your problem still pop up?

Water proof boxed- video camera, well mounted, with needed view?
Try it on the next monsoon day.

If a direct stream is flooding the filter you could prevent it.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow this sounds scary i also have cp-e intake no problems so far but from now on ill take it easy in the rain have you tried cp-e condom (bag) they sell that goes over intake filter and it repels water
Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its called cp-e pre filter
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had each of my cars on a full cold air kit in rainy vancouver Canada and have never had this issue. my civic si the filter was 4" off the ground and I never had a soaked filter. granted its in a different spot with some plastic shielding it but still, the filter on the cp-e is more than a foot off the ground. what else do you have done to the car? worst case is you get some dryer venting and cut it to cover the side of your filter facing the pavement to help reduce the amount of water hitting the filter.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:34 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Originally Posted by smokedu
wow this sounds scary i also have cp-e intake no problems so far but from now on ill take it easy in the rain have you tried cp-e condom (bag) they sell that goes over intake filter and it repels water
You know that I did buy it but never used it.........Hmmm, guess i'll go dig it up and give it a try
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Found out how water is getting onto the filter when the car sits in the rain for a prolonged period. The rain water follows the channel between the fender and hood, then drops onto a wire loom for the head light and follows it to a wire junction where it then drops right onto the filter thus soaking it.
As you start up, the water sitting in the soaked filter gets sucked up onto the Mass Air sensor and prevents the engine from operating properly!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Need to block or divert the flow...
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-29-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:35 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Yeah....what I did was cut open a gallon plastic bottle (length ways) and placed it over the filter. Its not pretty but should work. Also sprayed the filter with some water repellent.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM
2008 Acura RDX

I'm very puzzled as to how comes I am the only person reporting this problem though............ weird.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ Hey Wspy, take some pics and show us.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Originally Posted by wspy
Yeah....what I did was cut open a gallon plastic bottle (length ways) and placed it over the filter. Its not pretty but should work. Also sprayed the filter with some water repellent.
As requested

Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey wspy, what kind of plastic bottle is that?

did you tie it in some how or is it just sitting on the top of the cone?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Its just sitting on top...but its wedged in there pretty good.

I cut up one of these
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Seems to be working pretty well!

The intake noise has been reduced as a result also