Bonehead move of the Year Nomination

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Bonehead move of the Year Nomination

So I had installed the ETS TMIC a couple of months ago, which was a chore it seemed to get the rubber hoses back on. I had purchased the Hondata manifold gasket as well, but was putting it off because I did not want to take the TMIC off again. But along comes Sunday in Florida at 95 degrees in the shade, and what do I do, I decide to go for it. At first I tried to get the manifold bolts without removing the TMIC, but no avail. So I took it off, which wasn't that bad. I actually was able to get all seven manifold bolts off, and with a little prying, I got the metal OEM gasket off as well. By then, it was probably an hour and 1/2 later, and the fun began. I lined the OEM gasket against the Hondata, and for some reason deduced that the Hondata holes did not line up. How mad was I to waste all this time for a part that didn't fit. I tightened all seven bolts backup to a torque of 16 lbs. and with hands bleeding from the knicks as sweat and blood ran down my hands, I tried to put the bottom support bar bolt in, and to my amazement, I couldn't get it to line up. After 15 minutes bent over the car, I decided to loosen the seven manifold bolts back up so I could adjust the manifold just a tad and get the bottom support bolt to fit. Did I mention, it was 95 degrees out, and higher with the Humidity. I finally get it on, and by my surprise, the TMIC went on much easier that I thought it would. Practice makes perfect, but as I am about to put the cover on, I notice, I had not put the plastic fuel injector cover back on. You have to be kidding me. By now, it is 8 p.m. and I am exhausted. I close the hood to sulk and die. Defeated. I had taken a picture of both gaskets one on top of the other practically, and the next morning, I take a look on my phone, and notice that the top four holes are not equidistant from each other on the left and right sides. Remember, it was very hot out. What I deduced, is that if I had turned the new gasket so that the right side was the left side, triumph, it would have fit exactly. Seriously, a flip of the gasket was all I needed to do. So in the morning, I took the TMIC off again, put the plastic injector cover on, and reinstalled the TMIC in less than 45 minutes. I think I can get it down to about 20 minutes if I hustle. So this Sunday, I am going in again with the Hondata gasket. That much wiser on what to do, but man, never been more sore, hot, and disgusted. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:08 PM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
i remember those days.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 AM
Racer

Wish you were in Florida wrench, I would have a completely different car, and $10K less in my pocket
Old 05-31-2017, 08:40 AM
FLETCH

if you want some pointers on how to do stuff just call. i can walk you through the steps so you have results just like this.
Attached Thumbnails Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-img_2317.jpg   Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-cp-e-1.jpg   Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-cp-e-2.jpg   Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-cp-e-3.jpg   Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-img_2875.jpg  

Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-img_2878.jpg   Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-img_3378.jpg   Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-img_2316.jpg   Bonehead move of the Year Nomination-all.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 220 Posts
Wow, what a weekend! I think that was one of the first mods that i did.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the good news is that you'll be able to uninstall and install the tmic and intake manifold with ease!!
aim for 15 min install times!!!! lol
Old 05-31-2017, 08:37 PM
FLETCH

^^ lol
Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 AM
Racer

Update on the Hondata gasket install. Completed as of yesterday. I am an expert I think on the uninstall/install of the TMIC. It still took longer than I wanted, though I stopped for lunch break, and just took my time. So the bright blue gasket is in. Hardest thing was getting the bolts back in it seemed and torqued to 16 lbs. using extensions and extension bends. I am gaining confidence in working on the car. I know I need the J-pipe to really get the performance figures, but I hate crawling under the car. Plus, since it is summer in Florida, I am taking a break on mechanical stuff and just wash/wax it. Since November, I have installed the ETS TMIC, Eibach spings, Progress Rear Sway Bar, and now Hondata gasket. Oh, I did uninstall the CPE CAI and went back to stock. Flushed/Drained the Brake Fluid, Tranny Fluid, and of course oil as well. Unfortunately, some of these things have taken multiple attempts, but persistence and you all writing about this stuff helps get me through it. Thanks everyone!