Auto Dimming Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Auto Day/Night Mirror install with pics from F.Rizzo

Great job F.Rizzo!

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
The last 5 vehicles I've owned have had the Auto Dim mirror installed in the - either by the factory or by myself as an aftermarket item. Once you get used to this feature it becomes increasingly difficult to live without it, so I knew from the get-go that I'd be installing one on the RDX. This is a super easy project and the only specialized tool you might need (if you have never worked on cars) is a Torx t20 screwdriver to snug the mirror down. I ordered mine from Hondacuraworld.com for $236, no tax, shipping included. It took about two weeks to get here, but I think the Holdiays had something to do with the delay.

Just about all manufacturers use the auto dim mirrors grom Gentex Co. They have over a hundred different models of mirrors and have even introduced a mirror with a TPMS display built in.
Here is alisting of some of the other mirrors: http://www.gentex.com/auto_plo_interior.html

Here's a pic of the Gentex mirror I installed on my Ford Ranger. It has: Auto Dim, Home Link, OSA Temp and compass all in one package.....(it was over $350). I kept it when I traded in the truck. Gonna try Ebay, because I did not need the homelink or temp display for the RDX.

.................................................. .................................................. ....

^Step one is to pop off the overhead console. It's held in with a clip (shown) and pulls straight down.

^Unplug the two harnesses from the OH Console, then remove the four 9mm screws that hold the trim piece in place. The white plug with the grey tape around it is the factory harness for the mirror. All you have to do is plug it in.

^Believe it or not - you actually use a rubber or plastic hammer and gently tap the old mirror up and off the base. It comes off pretty easy.

^The kit comes with a template that you cut out to help line up the wire chase that attaches to the windshield.

^Here is the template installed

^Here is the wire chase installed against the template. You can see how it lines up with the little notch in the sheet metal.

^The rest of the work is just to install the supplied cusion tape over all the sharp edges and cable tying the mirror harness. Then you install the mirror to the windshield mount and there is one Torx T20 screw that binds the mirror against the base. Reassemble everything - and you are done.

^Here I'm covering up the sensor to make the mirror dim.

.................................................. ..................

Finished: