1G RDX Steering Rack Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1G RDX Steering Rack Replacement

Replacing my inner tie rods I found PS fluid accumulated in the boot. I'm not sure how long I have but surely a rack replacement is in my future. Amazingly, despite the countless search results indicating this is a common issue I have not found any tutorials or walk throughs for the DIYer. Anybody know where one can be found? I've had to use MDX guides in the past as there are some remarkable similarities tween G1 RDX and earlier MDX...and seemingly sedans as far as the rack goes. I've previously changed the rack on a TSX by lowering the subframe rather than complete removal as per the manual. I'm hoping to do the same with my RDX but haven't seen any indication that it is possible other than it appearing similar to the TSX.

Any tips or links are appreciated.

By the way anyone replacing the inner tie rods wanting to use a factory type ear clamp should know they are not a stock item anywhere I could find so they should be ordered in advance...only a few buck from Acura or a box parts store.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it should be the same way as you've done before...
subframe needs to be lowered or dropped to gain access to steering rack.

btw, I saw the flagged thread you flagged....and visited each of those links and didnt come across any "bad" sites....
PM with the post # or the link.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:04 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
What’s the details on your specific RDX?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Cruisin'

I have a stock 07 tech at 130K with a grumpy blend door and a fair weather amp plus a hitch and Yakima rack for the yak. Is this what you are asking?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

… and at present I am going crazy trying to figure out what is "clunking" on the right front suspension when the suspension is traveling outstroke but not on absorption/instroke. Everything is tight. Shop can't find it either. Just started last month but is one of those sounds that will surely result in other damage if I can't figure it out. One of those hear it and feel it clunks!
Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Do you get the clunking noise when you turn the RDX a lot at low speeds like pulling into or out of parking space?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Do you get the clunking noise when you turn the RDX a lot at low speeds like pulling into or out of parking space?
No. There is no relation to turning, putting into or out of gear or even being in gear. Backing out of the driveway I get the "clunk" if I am carrying any speed over the 2" drop but not when pulling into the driveway at the same speed. It is coming from the right side and I can feel it at my feet but not in the steering wheel. It is a heavy "clunk", as though sway bar rubber was completely gone...but they are good.

I suspected a broken mount because I tend to test its rocket abilities coming out of corners a bit but I can't find anything and I don't get any other indicators. I can't visually inspect the upper strut mount except the top rubber that looks good. Off the ground the strut still appears to function. I can lever it to the point of lifting the vehicle and then quick release with no loose movement. This is still what I suspect but I don't want to dump $$ into shocks that appear serviceable still.

Any other thoughts?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
If you drive it hard, and you're on original suspension at 130k miles, you should consider replacing all 4 corners anyway. I just did mine at 155k (mine is more of a highway queen), and the difference was huge. Tighter, quieter, better all around. My strut mounts were shot to hell, and my very informal test of leaning on the wall with an old shock in one hand and a new in the other showed that the old one compressed more than twice as fast. Car is a lot stiffer now, but all the harshness is gone.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Cruisin'

Fair point! This car was driven by AARP until I got my hands on it 6 months ago. It came with all the service records so I was able to go back and find surprisingly that the suspension was original. The suspension was, and other than this clunk, still is firm and quiet. Before I taught it how the turbo works and that it could be loaded with stuff for camping at the beach it probably had to even use the full suspension. I'm sure I broke it having fun, just can't figure out what I broke. I suppose a new set of cushions would be in order but I don't want to throw money at the problem until I can figure out exactly what it is.

Did your highway queen have a "clunking" problem from the shot strut mounts?
Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Leadfooter
...Backing out of the driveway I get the "clunk" if I am carrying any speed over the 2" drop but not when pulling into the driveway at the same speed. It is coming from the right side and I can feel it at my feet but not in the steering wheel. It is a heavy "clunk", ...

I suspected a broken mount ...

Any other thoughts?
…... hear it and feel it clunks!
...suspension was, and other than this clunk, still is firm and quiet... until I can figure out exactly what it is...
Check ENGINE mounts, my reversing got very quiet after replacing the 3 rubber parts. Just reversing was noisy and clunky especially on backing out of the driveway too, similar general feet clunk feeling. Only connected some of the symptoms after they were gone.
The mechanic saw the engine moving visibly upon reversing while off the ground, not long after the intake boot was replaced from a big underside rip.

No changes to suspension springs or shocks, dont have a 2" border either, will deal with the transmission mount at a later time.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
I never did have any major clunking or thuds from the suspension. The strut mount noise was more of a rattle. If it was cooler out, you could easily hear it by just turning the wheels in park.

Good call above on the engine mounts, too. Definitely worth getting them inspected.