Washed-out Nav display!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX Screen

Yeah....this is my first winter with the RDX and the screen is useless. I can't even change the radio station because the screen is so dark. I'm trading my RDX in this year. :-(

Johnny
Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my RDX in for a B1 service yesterday and told them to keep it overnight so that they could see the problem with the display screen first thing in the morning. I am waiting for them to call me. I am curious what they are going to say over at Woodfield Acura....

But regardless of what they say, there is no way I am trading my RDX in just because of a display screen 'warm-up' issue that only impacts me occasionally. That just sounds crazy to me.

I use voice command or the preset up/down button on the steering wheel to change radio stations.

-Rick
Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

Hmmm, I wonder if there is more than one type of screen out there (maybe an 07-08 difference?) We've been below 20 for while and I haven't really noticed a problem. Last night it was -3 and although it was a bit dim I could read it no problem at startup this morning, in fact I'd say within 5 minutes it was almost 100%.
Now the problem with daylight & polarized glasses...well yea that's definitely a bit annoying.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Radec
Hmmm, I wonder if there is more than one type of screen out there (maybe an 07-08 difference?) We've been below 20 for while and I haven't really noticed a problem. Last night it was -3 and although it was a bit dim I could read it no problem at startup this morning, in fact I'd say within 5 minutes it was almost 100%.
Now the problem with daylight & polarized glasses...well yea that's definitely a bit annoying.
Report back next year. I would have given the same report during my first winter with my RDX. It's MUCH worse this year. If I keep the car, my display will likely get replaced next year because I suspect it will be completely unusable.

Also, keep in mind that most of us can read it at night (you mentioned 'last night' above). The main problem is cold + early morning sunlight (and not even much sunlight).

Mike
Old 01-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

Report back next year. I would have given the same report during my first winter with my RDX. It's MUCH worse this year. If I keep the car, my display will likely get replaced next year because I suspect it will be completely unusable.

Also, keep in mind that most of us can read it at night (you mentioned 'last night' above). The main problem is cold + early morning sunlight (and not even much sunlight).

Mike
Trust me I will keep my eye on it. This is exactly the reason why I visit this board

Just to clarify, when I said "last night" I was referring to the low temperature last night. I actually used the car this morning in Daylight.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Radec
Trust me I will keep my eye on it. This is exactly the reason why I visit this board

Just to clarify, when I said "last night" I was referring to the low temperature last night. I actually used the car this morning in Daylight.
Cool - thanks for the clarification. I would definitely be interested to see how your's survives over time. I suspect this will only be an issue for folks in colder climates, and for which this is an annoyance - ie: it may not get a lot of press.

If yours is better, it may make me feel better about an eventual replacement. Maybe they've made some improvements...

Mike
Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 AM
2nd Gear

I took my 07 RDX Tech to the Acura Service Dept on a cold day and told them I had a problem with a very dim NAV screen. The service tech looked at it indoors and said he could see no issue. I then insisted to bring in an RDX from the lot and compare it side to side, which he did. Once doing this, the tech agreed that something was wrong and he would talk to Acura Service Tech Line about the issue.

About 3 hours later I got a call back from the tech (after he had talked to Acura Service Tech Line) and he insisted that I schedule an appointment to get my NAV screen replaced. They ordered me a new NAV screen and replaced it in one day. The next morning when it was 30 degrees and sunny, the NAV screen looked very bright and had no issues. This was all covered under Acura's 50k mile warrenty.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DJ3252
I took my 07 RDX Tech to the Acura Service Dept on a cold day and told them I had a problem with a very dim NAV screen. The service tech looked at it indoors and said he could see no issue. I then insisted to bring in an RDX from the lot and compare it side to side, which he did. Once doing this, the tech agreed that something was wrong and he would talk to Acura Service Tech Line about the issue.

About 3 hours later I got a call back from the tech (after he had talked to Acura Service Tech Line) and he insisted that I schedule an appointment to get my NAV screen replaced. They ordered me a new NAV screen and replaced it in one day. The next morning when it was 30 degrees and sunny, the NAV screen looked very bright and had no issues. This was all covered under Acura's 50k mile warrenty.
Excellent news. As I've said in other posts, I will be making a stink about mine before my warranty expires. It gets darker every winter. Good to hear that at least you had success. Have you noticed any other improvements? Color saturation or clarity improvements in the backup cam?

Mike
Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I changed my screen to Anti-Reflective, Scratch Resistant, Acrylic Sheet is so much better then stock. plus my screen had little nick on it.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

I mentioned this to the dealer on my '08. I said it was way darker than my '09. The '08 is unusable with polarized sunglasses.

My '09 so much brighter. I'm not sure if the '08 screen is dying, but it wasn't great to begin with. The tech's notes reported fixing it by adjusting the brightness. F'ing morons. I have a spectrophotometer to measure the lumens that it outputs, I have just been to lazy to do it. My guess is the '09 is different than the '08. Manufacturing realized the problem and will likely not warranty the issue unless someone comes in with proof that it's lumen output is 1/2 of the '09.

I'll try to do this soon.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spongebobnopants
I mentioned this to the dealer on my '08. I said it was way darker than my '09. The '08 is unusable with polarized sunglasses.

My '09 so much brighter. I'm not sure if the '08 screen is dying, but it wasn't great to begin with. The tech's notes reported fixing it by adjusting the brightness. F'ing morons. I have a spectrophotometer to measure the lumens that it outputs, I have just been to lazy to do it. My guess is the '09 is different than the '08. Manufacturing realized the problem and will likely not warranty the issue unless someone comes in with proof that it's lumen output is 1/2 of the '09.

I'll try to do this soon.
that'd be great~
i too noticed the nav screen being dimmer last winter..i thought it was just my imagination~rofl
Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ3252

Has anyone come up with a solution/replacement for this POS screen? Either it has gotten worse over the 3 years or I’m just spoiled by the TL resolution and brightness. I’m taking the RDX in for a fluid change and I’ll try a side by side comp with a new one and see if I can get it replaced as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:41 AM
XIS
Lizard King

This TSB might help with some of the issues...

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B07-022.pdf