Toughy - Getting OEM GPS on Basic...Help??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Toughy - Getting OEM GPS on Basic...Help??

I just bought a 2008 Acura RDX. I got the Basic model because I didn't feel the extra $3-4K was worth it for all the stuff.

I love my car, it's awesome. I had a 328i and a WRX and both of these don't compare to the RDX.

The ONLY thing I want is the OEM GPS Navigation that comes with the RDX Tech Package.

Here is my question, and I have NOT found an answer any where...

I have done research on the Tech Pachkage Center Console/GPS Screen. The only difference between the Basic and Tech Package is the Screen and that Silver Center console. Technically, you could remove that center console and replace it with the one from the Tech Package. You could also take out the stock screen in teh Basic and replace it with the one from the Tech Package. I'm sure there is a little more to it though...

So, is it possible to get the OEM GPS Navigation into the Basic package?

Let me know!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Don't do it. The only bad thing I've found with my RDX, with the Tech Package, is the NAV system.

New roads and new Point of Interest (POIs) are created every day. From what I can tell Acura only updates their maps, via the DVD, about every 2 years, and it will cost you $200.

Go spend $300 on a TomTom or Garmin portable GPS. Once a month, I connect my TomTom to my computer, and it updates the maps and POIs. I was able to go to a TomTom forum and got a free file with every Starbucks in it. Now, when I tell my TomTom to find the nearest Starbucks, it finds the one that is 1 1/2 miles from my house. Go to my RDX and ask it to do the same thing, and the "nearest" one is 1400 miles away.

Don't get me wrong. I have not found another major issue with my RDX, but their NAV system sucks.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally don't think it's worth your effort. But to answer your question I don't know if it is possible. I would recommend you get a portable GPS device. But I would like to defend the GPS system in this car from what other people are saying. I totally think it's worth the extra $4K and am really glad I got it. The sound system is unbelievable as well. Don't believe everything about the updates. Yes portable GPS devices can be upgraded more frequently but everyone's comments on that I think are ubsurd.

Most of what I've found is that people are not using the Nav in the RDX properly and therefore getting the wrong results. I use to do searches where the closest "something" was 500 miles away but once you figure out how to search in the system it works great. People expect this car to do everything for them and never both to figure out how it works and what's the best way to do things.

CNET rated the 2007 Acura RDX Nav system the best in the business. Take it for what it's worth but I think they're right.

Good luck by the way if you decide to make the switch. I'll be curious how long and how much it will cost for you to make the switch.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Racer

I have the base RDX as well, and for 250 bucks, a Garmin that does virtually everything the tech does, including the handsfree link.

Don't get me wrong, the tech would have been nice, but I couldn't justify the cost.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
I have the base RDX as well, and for 250 bucks, a Garmin that does virtually everything the tech does, including the handsfree link.

Don't get me wrong, the tech would have been nice, but I couldn't justify the cost.
As you will find, opinions vary wildly. I bought my wife a Nuvi 660 for Christmas this year. It's one of Garmin's better rated units. It does almost everything my RDX does....but neither of us argues that the RDX does them all MUCH MUCH better.

To each his own I guess...
Mike
Old 04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

Arrow Still real tough

I've had mixed reviews from EVERYONE I have asked!

Even the dealerships say different things. I can have a GPS device installed by Acura but it's slightly different than the OEM model people have in their Tech Package.

The central console and GPS module in the tech package are also connected to the rear view camera, sound system, etc...So, although you can probably just "swap them out," I'm wondering where the functionality will go. Will it work? Is it different?

My biggest "want" is to get a GPS module into the space where my little black screen is now on my Basic package. The trick is that I don't want to void my warranty.

So, to that note, does anyone know if I can put in an aftermarket GPS into that space (I'm sure I can find something that fits perfectly) but without voiding the warranty?

Let me know your thoughts, everyone has been great so far!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
go for a garmin or tomtom....although won't look nice and probably have your car broken into if it was hanging on your windshield in open view but it has a lot more flexibility.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
To have OEM navi in a base RDX, it will be a lot of work. You will need the new controls, a new dvd drive for the navi (2k alone), rewire the the car for navi (HFL, Radio, HVAC, GPS antenna and other stuff)