Sunlight Sensor and Nav Screen Brightness

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Sunlight Sensor and Nav Screen Brightness

From the previous thread:

Originally Posted by kirkacanada
In the navigation package user's manual, the priority settings clearly state the sunlight sensor is supposed to detect sunlight and adjust the NAV display to DAY mode...even if the headlights are on, and the center console brightness display is not set to MAX. I have a technician at our local Acura dealership looking into it.
It does say that (Nav Manual p 105) but it doesn't seem to be working:

Originally Posted by flar
Unfortunately, in my testing over the past 2 days this doesn't appear to function at all. Today I even went about 3 minutes in bright sunlight directly overhead with no clouds or shadows and the display stayed on the night settings the entire time.
The same page also states that use of the Display Mode (day/night) switch, just once, overrides all other functions until the ignition is cycled again. But flar, I doubt if you used the Display Mode switch before exiting the dark parking garage.

So I checked the Helms Service Manual. (p 23-125):

The navigation system uses the sun's angle, along with the sunlight sensor to control the driver/passenger A/C airflow.
No mention of screen brightness, and the schematic backs this up, showing the sunlight sensor signal feeding directly into the Climate Control unit along with a solar angle signal from the Nav. But no sunlight signal to the Nav unit or Display Screen.

Originally Posted by neo1738
nav does not react to sunlight sensor, only headlights or the override button on bottom left.
If this is correct (and the Nav Manual is wrong) then I'm guessing that they decided there were too many overrides. Both the Display Mode switch and the Dash Illumination knob override the headlight signal. Throw in the sunlight sensor and you'd have people ready to punch the screen.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Both the Display Mode switch and the Dash Illumination knob override the headlight signal. Throw in the sunlight sensor and you'd have people ready to punch the screen.
Plus, the screen brightness is about the only clue (as you said flar) that the headlights are on or off (except the tiny green light symbol in the tach), since the instruments are lighted all the time.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 PM
Safety Car

I checked mine today; the sunlight sensor definitely does not override the screen to "day" with the headlights on.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:45 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping someone here could help me, please. My nav screen does not automatically switch to the Night setting when it's dark out or when I turn my lights on. I have it set to be the off white for day and gray for night, but it only changes if I manually hit the button. Is there something I am missing with regard to a setting? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stephlite
I was hoping someone here could help me, please. My nav screen does not automatically switch to the Night setting when it's dark out or when I turn my lights on. I have it set to be the off white for day and gray for night, but it only changes if I manually hit the button. Is there something I am missing with regard to a setting? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
hmm...try this:

1. Make sure the colour setting is set (as you mentioned earlier..off white for day and gray for night).
2. Turn on your headlights.
3. There's a little knob sticking out of your instrument panel. Give that a turn counter-clockwise. As long as the setting is not full, the nav screen should turn gray.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:16 PM
8th Gear

Thank you so much number84! It worked perfectly. That had been bugging me since I got the car and the manual is so confusing.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stephlite
Thank you so much number84! It worked perfectly. That had been bugging me since I got the car and the manual is so confusing.
glad i could be of help.

i played around with that because i was really getting annoyed that i couldn't tell if my headlights were on. i drove a few times at night without any headlights on...not very safe, obviously!!! now i can easily remember since the nav screen is a big enough reminder vs. the little green headlight icon in the instrument panel.