Ripping DTS track from DVD and burn DVD-A?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ripping DTS track from DVD and burn DVD-A?

Since the DVD-A selection is quite limited, I'd like to rip the DTS track from my many concert DVDs and make DVD-A discs. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on this?

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Talking How to create a DVD-A disc with audio from a DVD-V

The following steps are how to create a DVD-A disc with audio from a DVD-V. This preserves the full 6 separate channels.

You need two programs. 1. DVD Decrypter (Freeware, do a search) and 2. ULead Burn Now. (Commerical)

Section I

1. Insert a Concert DVD etc into your DVD Drive and open up DVD Decrypter.
2. Select "Settings" from the "Tools" menu.
3. Select the IFO Mode tab
4. Make sure Enable Stream Processing is checked.
5. Under File Splitting select by "Chapter" and click "OK"
6. From the "Mode" menu select IFO.
7. Under the Input tab, you typically select the largest file by time.
8. Click on the "Stream Processing" tab.
9. Select "Enable Steam Processing" and uncheck everything except the 0x80 - Audio - AC3 / 6ch
10. While the "AC3 /6ch" selection is highlighted, Select the "Demux" Radio button.
11. Start ripping!

Section II

1. Open Ulead Burn Now
2. Select "Create Disc", "New Project", "Audio Disc", "DVD-Audio" and click "OK"
3. Drag and Drop all the VTS_01_Chapter_XX_X Files to the lower half of the screen.
4. Click "Burn"

Old 05-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried Ulead Burn.Now a while back and found it was only burning 2 channel audio to DVD-A (it downconverted my wav files). Have you tried creating a test mix to check all 6 channels individually? Unless I messed something up or they've recently updated it, I'd be surprised if it did the job.

Mike
Old 05-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Intermediate

Yes, you are right... Turns out the Ulead prog dumbs down the information given to 2 channels. (Without making mention of it)

I did have success making a true 6 channel DVD-A disc by using "DVD Audio Extractor" this program creates a 48k 16bit 6 Channel WAV file.

To burn the DVD-A disc, I used Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo.

The process is actually pretty straightforward and it is definitely creating the desired result.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

I need help with burning DVD-Audio discs.

I downloaded the free samples of DVD Audio Extractor and DVD Audio Solo. Then I extracted the files from 2 discs. This seemed to take a very long time, over half an hour per disc. Then I tried to burn discs using Solo, but it kept telling me that there was not enough space on the disc. I reduced the number of files (songs) until I was down to 2 and it accepted it.

Did I rip them incorrectly? Am I using the wrong disc (a standard Maxell DVD-R disc)?
Old 08-11-2007, 04:22 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Artie Ecks
I need help with burning DVD-Audio discs.

I downloaded the free samples of DVD Audio Extractor and DVD Audio Solo. Then I extracted the files from 2 discs. This seemed to take a very long time, over half an hour per disc. Then I tried to burn discs using Solo, but it kept telling me that there was not enough space on the disc. I reduced the number of files (songs) until I was down to 2 and it accepted it.

Did I rip them incorrectly? Am I using the wrong disc (a standard Maxell DVD-R disc)?
I'm brand new to this forum. I purchased a 2008 RDX with Tech package and just waiting for Acura Canada to release the vehicle. In the meanwhile, I purchased 11 DVD-A discs from absound.ca. The selection is somewhat limited to my musical interests, and I'm convinced the best path forward is converting 5.1 audio tracks from my music DVDs to DVD-A. I would really like to hear of a successful method to converting these 5.1 tracks, if it's even possible...
Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bulldog6670
I'm brand new to this forum. I purchased a 2008 RDX with Tech package and just waiting for Acura Canada to release the vehicle. In the meanwhile, I purchased 11 DVD-A discs from absound.ca. The selection is somewhat limited to my musical interests, and I'm convinced the best path forward is converting 5.1 audio tracks from my music DVDs to DVD-A. I would really like to hear of a successful method to converting these 5.1 tracks, if it's even possible...
+1!

Picking up my RDX next week and would love to convert a few of my music DVDs to DVD-A. If anyone can suggest some software for us MAC users too, that'd be great.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:58 AM
10th Gear

Okay- I'm here to answer my own question. When I was trying to burn a disc, and the program was telling me that there was not enough disc space, it was talking about my hard drive disk, not the DVD disc (apparently the process of burning the disc needs a lot of temporary file space). I did some cleanup and removed some old programs that were taking up disk space, and everything worked fine. I burned DVD-A's of Alan Parson's "A Valid Path" and Rush's "Snakes and Arrows." They sound incredible.

So- I can now agree that Stoodo's suggested combo of DVD Audio Extractor and DVD-Audio Solo is a great method to get DVD-A's for the ELS system. It's good to know that even if the DVD-A market continues to dry up, just about any released 5.1 surround format can still be transformed to work in the RDX.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boon
+1!

Picking up my RDX next week and would love to convert a few of my music DVDs to DVD-A. If anyone can suggest some software for us MAC users too, that'd be great.
Hey Boon!
I pick up my 2008 RDX tech today. I am also a mac user.
Did you find out how to make dvd-a discs on a mac?
I am downloading some dvd-a torrents and was wondering if they will burn properly using toast.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gtgt
Hey Boon!
I pick up my 2008 RDX tech today. I am also a mac user.
Did you find out how to make dvd-a discs on a mac?
I am downloading some dvd-a torrents and was wondering if they will burn properly using toast.
Hey gtgt - unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a solution. I tinkered for days with Toast trying to get the dvd-a's to rip properly (Metallica, Beatles, Pink Floyd) but none of them have worked. I bit the bullet and ended up buying most of them in stores.

I mentioned this somewhere else but some of these DVD-As are old and haven't been mastered properly to really give you that immersive feeling. Like, newer CDs sound better to me with the DPL II switched on.

The ONLY disc I have that does a good job is the Beatles "Love" disc...and that's probably because it was released last year. I'm still waiting on Amazon.ca to deliver my Crystal Method and Santana DVD-As. Those two are supposed to be reference quality.

I'm still digging around though. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boon
Hey gtgt - unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a solution. I tinkered for days with Toast trying to get the dvd-a's to rip properly (Metallica, Beatles, Pink Floyd) but none of them have worked. I bit the bullet and ended up buying most of them in stores.

I mentioned this somewhere else but some of these DVD-As are old and haven't been mastered properly to really give you that immersive feeling. Like, newer CDs sound better to me with the DPL II switched on.

The ONLY disc I have that does a good job is the Beatles "Love" disc...and that's probably because it was released last year. I'm still waiting on Amazon.ca to deliver my Crystal Method and Santana DVD-As. Those two are supposed to be reference quality.

I'm still digging around though. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
Ya, I bought a bunch today. santana, metalica, police, red rider, Queensrÿche, queen the game, etc. they all sound pretty good. Was that you driving around in Scarborough today around 1:00?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gtgt
Ya, I bought a bunch today. santana, metalica, police, red rider, Queensrÿche, queen the game, etc. they all sound pretty good. Was that you driving around in Scarborough today around 1:00?
Sweet. The Police and Queen disc are supposed to be good too. If you want something to show off your system (but not necessarily listen to), try picking up the latest Blue Man Group disc...it's supposedly one of the best DVD-As out there.

Nah that wasn't me, my job keeps me downtown late on weekdays. I usually roll around North York on errands and stuff but I do spend a lot of time in Scarlem on the weekends.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Stone Temple Pilots DVD-A has some cool spacial mixing as well.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Artie Ecks
Okay- I'm here to answer my own question. When I was trying to burn a disc, and the program was telling me that there was not enough disc space, it was talking about my hard drive disk, not the DVD disc (apparently the process of burning the disc needs a lot of temporary file space). I did some cleanup and removed some old programs that were taking up disk space, and everything worked fine. I burned DVD-A's of Alan Parson's "A Valid Path" and Rush's "Snakes and Arrows." They sound incredible.

So- I can now agree that Stoodo's suggested combo of DVD Audio Extractor and DVD-Audio Solo is a great method to get DVD-A's for the ELS system. It's good to know that even if the DVD-A market continues to dry up, just about any released 5.1 surround format can still be transformed to work in the RDX.
Had a few hours to spare so I downloaded DVD Audio Extractor and DVD-Audio Solo. I converted 8 of my music DVDs into DVD-A 5.1 discs, and also up-converted some of my favourite CDs to DVD-A. (There is a noticeable increase in sound quality)

As an aside, I burned these to DVD+R double layer discs. I have no problems playing them in the RDX.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldog6670
Had a few hours to spare so I downloaded DVD Audio Extractor and DVD-Audio Solo. I converted 8 of my music DVDs into DVD-A 5.1 discs, and also up-converted some of my favourite CDs to DVD-A. (There is a noticeable increase in sound quality)

As an aside, I burned these to DVD+R double layer discs. I have no problems playing them in the RDX.

Agreed I just burnt a dvd-a full of songs off a regular cd (relatively new songs) and wow what a difference.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:12 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
when you burn these do you put ur mp3 through the extractor, or just through dvd solo and up it to 24bit?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
5th Gear

The easiest way is to buy the software DVD Audio by Cirlinca. It converts mp3 into DVD audio directly. Very straight forward.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

Thanks all on here for all your help.

However, question. I burned several DVD music videos using DVD Extractor then DVD Solo. Everything works great, and the DVD-A plays in my RDX. The sound is 5.1, except that I do not hear any sound from my rear passenger speaker? This happens to all the songs i have recorded, and that speaker does work (i verified).

I am burning with a HP DVD-R disc. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? When i record it, DVD Solo shows that the input and output as 6 channels. thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear

I'm in the process now of ripping surround lossless tracks from blu-ray discs. PM me if you're interested in the process and I'll make a post with the procedure.

I too feel the limited selection of the DVD-A market which is basically dead now. Such a great format, feel bad to see it not become popular. If anyone wants to checkout any of my conversions, let me know.