Rear Seat Headrest DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Seat Headrest DVD

Has anyone installed headrest dvd system? looking into doing this soon to keep my little one busy on long trips? any pics?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

I installed universal-fit headrests with 9" monitors, but I wasn't completely happy with them. The RDX headrest posts are bent forward quite a bit, so the universal aftermarket headrests sat a little too far back on the seat. They looked good, but I actually USE my headrest to rest my head and neck, so I took them out.

The RDX headrest also is not very wide, so even a standard 7" screen is not going to fit. My measurements indicate a 6" screen (with mounting ring) will probably install without any modification. Also, the factory headrest posts are actually hollow, which is pretty rare for OEM, so there's the possibility wiring can be run through it for a cleaner look. I'll likely install 6" monitors in a couple weeks, and I'll put some pics up. It's not that hard to do, if you have some experience with install work and you're reasonably comfortable cutting into your headrest. You can see some pics of headrest monitors I installed in my supercharged Ford Focus here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2365329/5
Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 AM
8th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by theotts
I installed universal-fit headrests with 9" monitors, but I wasn't completely happy with them. The RDX headrest posts are bent forward quite a bit, so the universal aftermarket headrests sat a little too far back on the seat. They looked good, but I actually USE my headrest to rest my head and neck, so I took them out.

The RDX headrest also is not very wide, so even a standard 7" screen is not going to fit. My measurements indicate a 6" screen (with mounting ring) will probably install without any modification. Also, the factory headrest posts are actually hollow, which is pretty rare for OEM, so there's the possibility wiring can be run through it for a cleaner look. I'll likely install 6" monitors in a couple weeks, and I'll put some pics up. It's not that hard to do, if you have some experience with install work and you're reasonably comfortable cutting into your headrest. You can see some pics of headrest monitors I installed in my supercharged Ford Focus here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2365329/5

Did you get around to installing the screens? I'd like to see your pics if you have any.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing but also adding the DVD player to the center storage area and also hacking the Navi screen to show the DVD too.

Are there any links that show you how to remove the center console, OEM DVD navi player and also the radio?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 PM
8th Gear

w00t, here is the link to remove the radio and center bezel...

Click me!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

I've decided to install a drop-down monitor rather than the headrest ones. I just think my son will enjoy a larger monitor more than the small ones that will be required to fit the RDX headrests. I'm still working on picking out the right monitor, but I'll post pics once it's done, probably in just a few weeks.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Instructor

do you have to remove the headliner to install an overhead player? what is it secured to. in my minivan, I don't like that the screen blocks my view from the rearview mirror. it seems that in this case, that would still be an issue. what do you think?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:39 AM
8th Gear

Have you thought about using the MDX headrests? They are larger and the correct color. I want to swing by the dealership to try swapping them (test fit) on the showroom so I don't have to buy anything... I toyed with a room monitor but it would block my view.

If you do the install, take some step by step pics for us.

Thanks!