Really gettingused to the NAV TECH system

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 10:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Really gettingused to the NAV TECH system

I have gotten quite used to the basic functions of the voice activated NAV TECH system. I have already paired two motorola phones to it with my wife's RAZR phone having just a little more difficulty to link up.

The NAV system seems pretty intuitive, except that recognition of some letters can be a little frustrating...

I find the map system to be very accurate and up to date.

Anyone here from Canada was given a free sample DVD-audio disc when they bought their RDX?
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:58 AM
Advanced

I love the Tech on this car. my wife feels she can go anywhere now without getting lost.
Old 04-17-2007 | 12:25 PM
Pro

There is a downside. I've been using nav systems for several years now, and frankly, I don't remember how to get anywhere now. It's kinda like letting someone else do the driving and not paying attention to where you are going. It wouldn't be good to have the system go down and be lost forever!

Mike
Old 04-17-2007 | 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by catnippants
There is a downside. I've been using nav systems for several years now, and frankly, I don't remember how to get anywhere now. It's kinda like letting someone else do the driving and not paying attention to where you are going. It wouldn't be good to have the system go down and be lost forever!

Mike
Just like if the remote control for my tv broke, I wouldn't know how to watch tv anymore....
Old 04-17-2007 | 06:48 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by sasair
Just like if the remote control for my tv broke, I wouldn't know how to watch tv anymore....
I have no idea if the remote for my TV works any more. I just use my Harmony.

Now, if the Harmony broke, I wouldn't know how to do anything in my living room any more. I could end up sitting in there in the dark until I starved to death...
Old 04-17-2007 | 07:09 PM
Pro

What's a harmony?

Mike
Old 04-17-2007 | 08:02 PM
Missin my TSX =(

i hate voice commands... the stupid "cd play track" command... dont recognize anything over 29 ..no matter how i say it
Old 04-17-2007 | 10:53 PM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

What's a harmony?
Harmony is universal remote controls made by Logitech. I have a Harmony 880. Instead of using 4 remotes I use 1 Harmony. They are great.
Old 04-17-2007 | 11:09 PM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by flar
I have no idea if the remote for my TV works any more. I just use my Harmony.

Now, if the Harmony broke, I wouldn't know how to do anything in my living room any more. I could end up sitting in there in the dark until I starved to death...
I got one of those Harmony controllers as a Christmas gift but had a major complaint. The controller was designed to assume all the components of my entertainment center were in a certain state and that assumption was not always correct. If my TV was on but my receiver and DVR were off and I turned on the entire system with the Harmony, it would toggle everything to the opposite state assuming they were all off. So the TV would turn off and the others on. Yes I could have turned off the TV off before pushing Harmony's master on button, but it annoyed me to have to turn off the TV only to turn it back on immediately after. Not good for the plasma. I ended up sending it back.
Old 04-18-2007 | 08:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by grooks1
Harmony is universal remote controls made by Logitech. I have a Harmony 880. Instead of using 4 remotes I use 1 Harmony. They are great.
Ah...no thanks. Been there, done that. Wasted a lot of money on high priced universal remotes only to go back to the originals. I don't find juggling six remotes all that difficult anymore.

Mike
Old 04-18-2007 | 09:34 AM
Safety Car

Mike
I know what you mean; if I don't pay attention I wonder if I could drive the same route again the next day in a car without Nav.

Then there are the stories of people just steering off the road because a malfunctioning Nav said "Turn left now".
Old 04-19-2007 | 04:32 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Ah...no thanks. Been there, done that. Wasted a lot of money on high priced universal remotes only to go back to the originals. I don't find juggling six remotes all that difficult anymore.

Mike
I don't want to hijack this thread so PM me if you want more info, but the Harmony remotes are different from all of the other universals in a very cool way, but you have to understand what it is doing to really make it work for you.

Basically it remembers the state of your system and does everything relative to that state - and is able to go from one state (say "watching a DVD") to another (say "watching cable") with the fewest remote commands possible since it compares the start state to the end state and only sends commands for what is different.

For this to work, though and in speaking to the problem RDXSteverino had, you have to use it for all state changes (i.e. don't turn anything on or off with some other remote otherwise it won't know what the current state is). This is a pretty reasonable restriction since the remote has well organized buttons for 95% of what you need a remote for and pages of auxilliary commands for anything else. And if you need to use some buttons on another remote, that is fine too, as long as you go back to the Harmony for turning things on/off/changing tasks. I only really pick up another remote maybe once every 6 months for things like accessing the device's setup menus and other customization modes.