Real-time Traffic [Speed] Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006 | 07:34 PM
Intermediate

Real-time Traffic [Speed] Display

Does Real-time traffic info - displaying traffic speed - only work in certain cities where the info is available?

Does the nav screen display the speed automatically if data is available or you have to manually turn that display mode on?

Thanks
Chinhman

Old 11-06-2006 | 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chinhman
Does Real-time traffic info - displaying traffic speed - only work in certain cities where the info is available?

Does the nav screen display the speed automatically if data is available or you have to manually turn that display mode on?
It only works in certain cities, on certain roads. Kind of limited right now but will hopefully expand over the next couple years. I have used it and it has been effective when used.

The nav screen automatically displays the information if it is set to the correct zoom level which is indicated when you adjust the zoom level with the jog wheel.

http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/index.xmc
Old 11-06-2006 | 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Real-time traffic

Thanks for the info. Too bad the list of cities is short right now. I guess the Accident Incident Report is useful in the mean time. The only cities that I might get to use this are LA, San Diego and Las Vegas.
Old 11-07-2006 | 07:40 AM
Advanced

I have a comment on this...I'm finding it to be less than accurate.

I've become - well not exactly obsessed, but let's say fixated on the map, traffic, etc.

It's really surprising to me how many times I am sitting in traffic on the 520 Bridge or on I-90, I-5, etc - yes SITTING - not moving or at the best stop and crawling, but the screen is telling me that everything is GREEN, not even yellow.

I then keep checking to see if it ever changes - for the roads I've already traveled and I KNOW they are stopped, and it never does.

I flip over to the local AM radio station and they have all these reports about backed up traffic.

Does anyone else find this to be true? Is it just a Seattle thing? Or maybe just the roads I happen to travel?
Old 11-07-2006 | 09:32 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by amypinseattle

I've become - well not exactly obsessed, but let's say fixated on the map, traffic, etc.

It's really surprising to me how many times I am sitting in traffic on the 520 Bridge or on I-90, I-5, etc - yes SITTING - not moving or at the best stop and crawling, but the screen is telling me that everything is GREEN, not even yellow.

I then keep checking to see if it ever changes - for the roads I've already traveled and I KNOW they are stopped, and it never does.

I flip over to the local AM radio station and they have all these reports about backed up traffic.

Does anyone else find this to be true? Is it just a Seattle thing? Or maybe just the roads I happen to travel?
happens to me too... i mean im on the same roads everyday and they have been in construction since before the rdx was born, but yet it doesnt tell me anything...
Old 11-07-2006 | 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chyllintsx
happens to me too... i mean im on the same roads everyday and they have been in construction since before the rdx was born, but yet it doesnt tell me anything...
Seems ok for me in the Chicago area. This morning, wife was going out of town, so I get to steal the RDX for my commute out to the burbs. All red going from downtown Chicago all the way out to my destination 27mi away. There was a small section of yellow which was actually accurate as traffic flowed at around 35-40mph for that 2-3 mi section. Rest was bumper to bumper.
Old 11-07-2006 | 11:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Doesn't matter how old the roads are. They have to have road speed sensors running and that information has to be sent to XM.
Old 11-07-2006 | 01:44 PM
Racer

Yeah, in the Chicago area I'm amazed how accurate the RT-traffic is and how often it's updated. Near Golf and 53, there was a start of some work by a road crew that started a traffic pile up. Within minutes the RT-traffic was showing the new status. It still kinda needs better info on Lakeshore drive. It just shows yellow all the time even though it should be green. Could be something to do with sensors for LSD.
Old 11-07-2006 | 01:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
Doesn't matter how old the roads are. They have to have road speed sensors running and that information has to be sent to XM.
So how do you know if the roads in your area have the sensors and are sending the information?

Obviously, Seattle is on the list, but that doesn't mean the information is udpated frequently enough.

Sometimes it will show red and I'm travel faster than the speed limit!
Old 11-07-2006 | 03:19 PM
Advanced

So how do you know if the roads in your area have the sensors and are sending the information?

Obviously, Seattle is on the list, but that doesn't mean the information is udpated frequently enough.

Before you leave your house, you could check one of the traffic sites on the internet. Then see how that compares with your RDX.

In LA area, I use

traffic.tann.net
Old 11-07-2006 | 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

The red roads should give you realtime traffic.... as for how often it is updated, that would probably be hard to find out. I would guess it is updated every minute or two, but that's purely a guess if not they shouldn't really be calling it "realtime". Also remember that your map has to be in the correct range of zoom level to show the traffic flow. Otherwise the highways are always just a single red line. With traffic flow displaying, the highway will be red in the center and you will see green on the side that is flowing fast, or yellow if it is slowed down, or red if it is really slow or stopped. So you should see 3 lines on the highway. If it is clear on both side, it will show green red and green lines (red being the actual road itself).

Seattle:
Old 11-07-2006 | 05:05 PM
Advanced

I find it to be inaccurate too. It may be close, showing a red area 20 miles ahead, but I'm in it now. Plus, if you're on a freeway, not sure how much good it does to know that info.
Old 11-07-2006 | 07:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by snorton48
I find it to be inaccurate too. It may be close, showing a red area 20 miles ahead, but I'm in it now. Plus, if you're on a freeway, not sure how much good it does to know that info.

I see what you're saying but I live in the burbs of chicago. I check the map before to decide how I want to drive into the city or out. I have the choice of 290, 90 or higgins hwy. I'n my case just knowing what the express way is doing save me a lot of time.

The RT-traffic is at least one thing I happy about with the tech package. I hope the next model will have the weather and maybe movie listings.
Old 11-07-2006 | 07:50 PM
Missin my TSX =(

i meant the constructions have been going on there since before rdx has been around... hell... even before tsx was around... and i just dont get how the traffic thing dont indicate it....

one thing i do notice is that if i set a destination for around 15 miles... that shouldnt take more then 20 minutes driving... but when i look on the screen, it says 15 miles to destination... 1 hour 48 minutes to go ... and im like WTH... so i go on traffic zoom and its red in part of my route... so i guess it calculates the time with the traffic too... so i guess thats pretty kool
Old 11-07-2006 | 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

i meant the constructions have been going on there since before rdx has been around... hell... even before tsx was around... and i just dont get how the traffic thing dont indicate it....
The traffic incidents have to be reported to XM, so if it is routine construction that lasts forever, they may not report it as an "incident".
Old 11-08-2006 | 10:18 AM
Missin my TSX =(

that sucks...

so has anyone who experienced having a traffic condition in their route and the navi rerouted a route with no traffic for you??
Old 11-08-2006 | 01:01 PM
Racer

that sucks...

so has anyone who experienced having a traffic condition in their route and the navi rerouted a route with no traffic for you??

No. I wish it didn't plot a rout on a HWY that is congested. I have to check the HWY first by zooming out and pan.
Old 11-09-2006 | 08:51 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Going into NYC tomorrow, will let you know how it works. I do know as of now that since I live close to NYC when i pull up traffic incidents driving anywhere it tells me Construction, and Accidents etc.
Old 11-09-2006 | 10:16 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

The traffic incidents have to be reported to XM, so if it is routine construction that lasts forever, they may not report it as an "incident".
In Boston, home of the "big dig", ther are some construction sites listed as "long term construction" and they have been there for months now. The traffic info seems pretty accurate around here especially with "accient/incident" info, they will give you info like "disabled vehicle left lane blocked" to help you move through the traffic efficiently.

You do have to have the traffic info turned on as well as be zoomed in to the correct range. To turn it on or off you go into the "map menu" (not the nav menu) and hit enter on "traffic".