Neo iPod Adapter Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The text should be much larger and more readable on the dash display, though. Also, in a big city leaving an iPod cradle visible is the best known way to get your car broken into. :-(

I'm not sure if I will renew my satellite radio when it expires, but I'll definitely be considering renewing the traffic data. If the new Neo could go into the RDX via the satellite port, I wonder if it would disconnect the traffic data line as well...
Old 02-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After studying for a while, I see how they could do it. They tap into the GA-NET of the vehicle. Instead of selecting the CDC input on the headunit you would have to select the XM input. There is a plug in the back of the head unit that transfers all the GA-NET info for the XM radio. The Neo box must translate from the apple accessory protocol to the GA-NET. It also looks as though the traffic signal would be left unaffected so navtraffic should work. Acuralink also comes through the XM satellite, so not sure how acuralink would be affected.

This also means that someone could use this same plug to input sirius into the headunit if they are willing to figure out all the connections like Neo did. You'd need to translate the text info into something the GA-NET would understand.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New NEO Adapter with TEXT

Anyone have experience with the new version of the Neo adapter? I is supposed to display text (but only if you disconnect the XM radio ).

http://www.neocaraudio.com/product_i...oducts_id=1055

iPod Honda Acura kit w/ TEXT on radio
PODHONR3V1 (Norm $199)
2007 Acura RDX $179.99

Just Updated! TEXT display on Honda Acura Radios! This is what you have been asking for and we have listened! We are excited to announce iPod TEXT display on your radio!! Want to make sure your radio will display text? Its easy, if you have an XM button, it will display text. If you dont have an XM button it will NOT display text. PLEASE NOTE: If you want text display AND you are currently using XM SAT Radio - It MUST be Disconnected! Were sorry but there is no way to have iPod text AND SAT radio at the same time. You must choose. PLEASE ALSO NOTE. This adapter can be used in the non-text mode, when used in non-text mode, SAT Radio WILL continue to function. You will not have to disconnect SAT radio. This is important bc if you are currently using SAT Radio and are NOT ready to lose it, you can use the adapter in NON-TEXT mode, then when you are ready to disconnect SAT Radio, you can switch the module settings over to TEXT and your ready to go! If you are not interested in the TEXT feature at all, please see our other adapter PODHONR3V2Y, that came up when you searched for your car.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by sasair
After studying for a while, I see how they could do it. They tap into the GA-NET of the vehicle. Instead of selecting the CDC input on the headunit you would have to select the XM input. There is a plug in the back of the head unit that transfers all the GA-NET info for the XM radio. The Neo box must translate from the apple accessory protocol to the GA-NET. It also looks as though the traffic signal would be left unaffected so navtraffic should work. Acuralink also comes through the XM satellite, so not sure how acuralink would be affected.

This also means that someone could use this same plug to input sirius into the headunit if they are willing to figure out all the connections like Neo did. You'd need to translate the text info into something the GA-NET would understand.
sasair, does this mean that there is indeed a separate XM module somewhere behind the dash? Also, does your explanation apply to base and tech RDXs?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:04 PM
10th Gear

choice?

Where/how does one choose to have/not have the TEXT mode?

tony
Old 02-15-2007, 10:13 AM
8th Gear

Question

How can be the one with text mode cheaper than the one without text mode? Is the one without text mode exactly the same with the one with TEXT mode when you don't use TEXT mode? Or do we sacrifice something ? If they are same, I would buy the one with TEXT mode even if I dont use the TEXT. I would have option to enable TEXT when I want. Ideas?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

My assumption is that the major difference is that the one with text capability would be selected by choosing XM where the one without text is chosen by selecting CDC. So the two different boxes would integrate differently into the headunit.

Also don't know if the one with text capability has an extra set of RCA inputs.

Not really sure at this point. We need someone to get one and try it out! I've already spent $400 on musiclink and neo so I don't think I'll be spending another $200 to test it out!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

I've got one w/ TEXT mode on the way. Got a local shop that'll install it for me, so I should be able to have it up and running by middle of this coming week. I'll post here when I do.

tony
Old 02-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

They are both normally 199 (see the parentheses after the part number for the TEXT version).

The regular Neo was on sale for a while for even less than the TEXT version right after it was introduced (159 was the lowest I believe) and gradually crept back up to 199 at no discount. The TEXT unit is brand new and on sale probably to get them out into customers hands so they can extol their virtue on these boards and drive more business to them.

Personally I was waiting for DICE to get some bugs worked out in their unit, but if the new Neo does the TEXT in a way that doesn't interfere with Nav Traffic then I'll be hemming and hawing (I'd rather not give up XM either way, though I'm not addicted to it, it just seems like I'll have "broken" the car or something)...
Old 02-18-2007, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear

Installed the NEO

I am new to this forum. I purchased the Black Tech package back in December. I am loving it so far. Although I totally enjoy XM, I too love to listen to my IPOD. After reading the post on about the Neo I decided to purchase it instead of Musiclink. Took me 40 minutes to install and that is because I was being anal and didn't want to scratch anything. It works like a charm. I went with just leaving it in the glove compartment. Thanks to all for the posts. It helped me make my decision and I don't regret it at all. Now I am just waiting for my leather shift knob which will be delivered tomorrow.

Thanks again..... Larry from the Maryland, DC, Virginia area
Old 02-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the report Larry!
Old 02-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by anthonys
I've got one w/ TEXT mode on the way. Got a local shop that'll install it for me, so I should be able to have it up and running by middle of this coming week. I'll post here when I do.

tony
Hi Tony,

Did you get the unit yet? What was the verdict?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
FWIW, I just spoke to Logan at Neo. He said that all Acuras, in fact, every car that uses XM, has a separate tuner that plugs into the head unit, but is hidden out of sight. Althought the buttons on the head unit make it appear that XM is just another board in the head unit, it is not.

Therefore, just as the Neo webpage description says, you can have text with XM or text with the iPod, but not both. You can have XM and iPod together, but not text from each source.

I did not know that XM was separate piece of gear. Can anyone verify one way or the other? I do not know much about car stereos in that regard.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chas2
FWIW, I just spoke to Logan at Neo. He said that all Acuras, in fact, every car that uses XM, has a separate tuner that plugs into the head unit, but is hidden out of sight. Althought the buttons on the head unit make it appear that XM is just another board in the head unit, it is not.

Therefore, just as the Neo webpage description says, you can have text with XM or text with the iPod, but not both. You can have XM and iPod together, but not text from each source.

I did not know that XM was separate piece of gear. Can anyone verify one way or the other? I do not know much about car stereos in that regard.
Yes I can verify that. I too thought it was built into the head unit, but I did some more research and found the separate XM unit in the service manual.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

Well, I guess it is a good thing I did not return my previous Neo, which remains uninstalled, mostly because we have been out of town enjoying XM going back and forth on the 29 to southern VA. Maybe this weekend I can try the install of the original Neo or USASpec or whatever the unit is (bought from Neo).
Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by Chas2
It sounds like you are saying that you can set it up so that you have the option to listen to either and have iPod text. Is that right?

The reason I ask is that what I read on their web site seems to contradict this. It looks like you choose between whether to see the iPod text and whether to have any XM function at all. In other words iPod text means no XM in any form.

If you want the XM to work with this new unit then you can install it differently such that the XM is unaffected, but the iPod has no text display.

And you can always change the installation as your mood changes, but it requires some amount of reinstallation (perhaps just flipping a configuration switch on the brain unit - or perhaps adding or removing the secondary harness that connects to the XM port...?)

Here are their words:

Originally Posted by Neocaraudio.com
If you have either Factory Satellite Radio (subscribed to) or GPS/NAV or both you MUST add Part # CBLHONHC - Honda Harness Converter In TEXT mode - Satellite Radio must be disconnected for text to work. In Non-TEXT mode - Satellite Radio will continue to work as normal. All Nav and Non-Nav radios are compatible.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

One more thing I noticed on their web site:
Originally Posted by Neo original Prolink page
iPod Control on Radio:
  • Once you have selected the folder you want to listen to, radio buttons can be used to track forward and backward between songs in the playlist, album, or audio book you may be in. You can jump through songs in your playlists and access an unlimited amount of songs. Use the iPod or the radio, its your choice!
In other words, you only get track control from the car controls and have to set things like album or playlist from the iPod.

But the description of the new unit with the text capability differs:
Originally Posted by New new text Prolink page
iPod Control on Radio:
  • Radio buttons can be used to access ALL of your playlists, as well as albums, etc. You can jump through your playlists and access an unlimited amount of songs. Use the iPod or the radio, its your choice!
Now it seems to have this unspecified control over playlist selection from the car controls...?

If so, then I'm definitely getting the new Neo - I've wanted playlist control, but the competitors that have it are taking too long to qualify their products on the RDX.

(My guess is that they trap the "category prev/next" controls of the XM to do a playlist selection which would be cool - anyone have their hands on a user manual to confirm?)
Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flar
It sounds like you are saying that you can set it up so that you have the option to listen to either and have iPod text. Is that right?
I am sorry, I wrote too fast, and did not check my work. You are correct, the Neo website is correct, and I was wrong.

Sorry for the original error and ensuing confusion.

Bottom line, read their website and treat it as gospel, and don't listen to me.

In fact, call them, or as I did, email them and they call you back pretty quickly.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:46 AM
10th Gear

Reporting back here:

got my TEXT unit; I decided I wanted to keep XM radio (which is lost if I wanted TEXT). Took it to a local shop who installed it such that the iPod is in the center console with the Neo pod in the well adjacent to the airbag amplifier and sandwiched in a piece of foam. Install took about an hour and, yes, it is connected to an output from the back of the CD changer - which, according to the installer means I lose the CD player - haven't checked that out yet)

Hooked up the iPod and with the advanced settings (both switches in the 'up' position) it was in a half hour of fiddling with it, the CD controls, the radio controls, there was no clear sequence that would allow me to hear the iPod

Changed dipswitch settings (not the dedicated ones for the RDX) to both in the 'down' position, fired up the radio, hit XM button, scrolled through to CDC, and got the most extraordfinary sound out of the iPod I could imagine

With the settings I have now, I can scroll through separate songs within an album and I can change albums and then scroll through those songs. I'm still playing around with the sequence of the required buttons to do that, but it doesn't seem to be the same outcome with the same sequence x2 in row.

I'll keep fiddling with it, but so far, sound quality through those speakers in the Tech version rivals the sound out of my $400 dollar pair of Etymotic custom in the ear plugs hooked up at the output from my HeadPhone Cosmos Amp. Also, getting the TEXT mode was a waste of money, given that I want to keep XM for my wife's sake (she doesn't like my iPod library).

HTH,

tony
Old 03-01-2007, 08:44 AM

Tony, you will still be able to use the built in CD changer.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 AM
10th Gear

Yep, found that out yesterday when I was playing around with the iPod. Only problem I'm having is with setting it up so that it will play through one album and/or let me skip songs from within an album. As it is now, it's "on" random play and I haven't found the CD button combination yet that will allow for only album play.

tony
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
5th Gear

sasair,

it sounds like you're pretty certain that there is a separate XM module hidden somewhere. did you happen to see how it can be disconnected? I've got the Text operating but I've also got the XM advertising playing through in addition to the music from the iPod. This is the case even though XM has cancelled my service per my request.

any input would be appreciated...

Terry
Old 03-07-2007, 11:46 AM
3rd Gear

Neo Audio

I recently purchased the Neo IPod adapter with text. First, the customer service at Neo is a disaster. The gentleman working the phones is rude and useless in regards to technical support. When I first called he couldnt tell me how the text was displayed (song name? artist name? artist and song name?). I've seen others on this board complain about some "Logan" fellow, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

Then, I finally decided to order the product after they put up an ad offering a discount to the first ten SKU's ordered. I came to find that this is more or less a false advertisement. This was a brand new product and a brand new ad and I had to have been one of the first ten. I talked to customer servie and the person told me the product must not be one of the ones available for discount (I feel like they must say this on every order).

Upon receiving the adapter I came to find they had sent the wrong instructions and most likely the wrong adapter. I installed the prodcut with ease. There really isn't much to it. The XM plug is easy to find and easy to disconnect.

So, I had everything installed, re-connected my battery, entered the stereo code, and gave it a go. There it was, the sweet sounds of my IPod...only coming out of half my speakers. This was not a problem I had ever encountered with any other audio feature on my car. The sound was only coming out of the speakers on the right side of the car. Further, there was no text. It simply read "CDC 01-01."

So, I turned my car off and back on, thinking maybe the problem would sort it self out with a "re-boot" like my computer. No luck. Now, the car wasn't even recognizing the adapter. I would push the SAT button and it stayed on CD.

In the meantime, I have sent the prodcut back for their "inspection." They are going to send me another one and I will try again. All in all, a poor experience. Although, if this works in the end I will still be a happy camper.

Good luck,

Acuradic
Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 PM
5th Gear

yeah that guy you speak to when you call up NEO is a bit on the impatient side and just seems to expect that you, the consumer, should know exactly how their product works even though the instructions aren't that great.

so, I unplugged the XM from both behind the glove box and the location at the rear of the RDX roof. while this allowed us to hear the iPod without getting the XM, I was not able to skip tracks nor was I able to get the scrolling text even though this is how I set up the module I received.

so far, this is a waste of $200 dollars and my time (which could be better spent drinking beer)
Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
5th Gear

tsxtc777,

You stated in your post "The XM plug is easy to find and easy to disconnect." Can you clarify where you found this particular plug? Are you referring to the 14 pin white connector at the back of the OEM head unit? Or are you referring to the XM connector at the Acura Link receiver behind the glove box? Or are you referring to the XM connector at the rear of the roof covered by the headliner?

Thank you,

Terry
Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 2006x
tsxtc777,

You stated in your post "The XM plug is easy to find and easy to disconnect." Can you clarify where you found this particular plug? Are you referring to the 14 pin white connector at the back of the OEM head unit? Or are you referring to the XM connector at the Acura Link receiver behind the glove box? Or are you referring to the XM connector at the rear of the roof covered by the headliner?

Thank you,

Terry
I am referring to the 14 pin white connector at the back of the OEM head unit.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neo

I actually belong over in the RL site, but have been reading the issues with NEO. The Neo is nothing more than the USA unit which neo put their sticker on and charge more. When I received mine I noticed the cable even says USA. The unit doesnt look at all like the unit they dispaly. I have contacted the BBB in regards to their false advertisement. If i was to do again i would just buy the USA unit its cheaper anyway.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't see how that's possible since the units operate differently.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:25 PM
10th Gear

Well, after a week and half, the unit is now appears "belly up." No matter which input sequence I follow (as outlined by the pamphlet of instructions), no output of any kind, and that includes using my iPod itself as the input device. So far it's a complete waste of 200 bucks. I'll call these folks up with the expectaton that they'll make it right or refund my money. Meantime, I'd strongly suggest that folks thinking about getting the Neo (nothing exactly okay) iPod adapter, give it at least a second thought.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
10th Gear

Well, after a week and half, the unit is now appears "belly up." No matter which input sequence I follow (as outlined by the pamphlet of instructions), no output of any kind, and that includes using my iPod itself as the input device. Apart from the initial experience with it I reported here earlier, it's been a complete waste of 200 bucks. I'll call these folks up with the expectaton that they'll make it right or refund my money. Meantime, I'd strongly suggest that folks thinking about getting the Neo iPod adapter, give it at least a second thought.

tony
Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like people are having some problems with this new text capable adapter. Hope you all get the problems sorted out with Neo.

I still haven't had any problems with my Neo and it was the best $200 I spent after dealing with the Acura MusicLink for iPod. Would love to get my hands on one of these new text capable units just to run it through its paces for myself but doesn't sound like it is worth the $200 just yet.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:08 PM
5th Gear

I was able to eliminate the residual XM advertising that continued to come through after cancelling our XM service by disconnecting the XM antenna connectors 9(one behind the glove box) and another at the rear of the roof. Sounded great. HOWEVER, when I did this, I lost the scrolling text. AND I would get DICE and ANTENNA showing up where the scrolling text would normally be.

Since I installed this unit I've never been able to switch tracks either from the steering wheel or head unit itself. To do this, I have to use the iPod.

I'm thinking of yankin it out and just going with a 1/8" jack to dock cable. MUCH less expensive and trouble-free
Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 PM
10th Gear

Good Info on Neo

Hi Sasair

Great information on the NEO. Thanks I just bought a TL 07 yesterday at Pohanka Acura. The service deartment gave me the name if someone who can install the NEO. i saw your offer to help. Where do you live? I AM IN NW DC
Old 03-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Cruisin'

I don't see how that's possible since the units operate differently.
I purchased the USA SPEC unit via amazon.com and installed it last night. It appears to function identically to what sasair describes.

The thing that struck me was the sound quality. There is no comparison between the auxiliary adapter and the auxiliary input on the front of the head unit. If you use an ipod as your primary audio source, I highly recommend "splurging" on the adapter.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by tsxtc777
In the meantime, I have sent the prodcut back for their "inspection." They are going to send me another one and I will try again. All in all, a poor experience. Although, if this works in the end I will still be a happy camper.
tsxtc777, did you ever get a new unit? Did it work any better?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by acuraTHREE
Hi Sasair

Great information on the NEO. Thanks I just bought a TL 07 yesterday at Pohanka Acura. The service deartment gave me the name if someone who can install the NEO. i saw your offer to help. Where do you live? I AM IN NW DC
I live in the manassas area, which is a bit of a haul from NW DC. I also haven't ever taken a TL apart, but I'd be willing to tear yours apart for you! Can't be much different, but no guarantees!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Tuape

I have been silent for a while... some time ago I posted that my Neo unit would change sources on me without my intervention. It does always occur on a morning start. Sassair seemed to think cold weather was a factor but now 80+ degrees and it still happens each morning I get in the vehicle. It does not occur the rest of the day no matter how many times I stop and restart the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kthlex
I have been silent for a while... some time ago I posted that my Neo unit would change sources on me without my intervention. It does always occur on a morning start. Sassair seemed to think cold weather was a factor but now 80+ degrees and it still happens each morning I get in the vehicle. It does not occur the rest of the day no matter how many times I stop and restart the car.
Maybe something to do with your ipod. Like your ipod isn't shutting off when you stop the car, it dies in the middle of the night, then when you go to start your car, it has to reset and while doing so, the neo thinks there is nothing connected so it switches sources. What kind of ipod and what version of ipod software are you running? Have you checked your ipod to see what it is doing when you shut the car off? It should pause and then shut off within a minute or so of shutting the car off.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by acuraTHREE
Hi Sasair

What name did they give you? I work near Pohanka...
Old 03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Safety Car

I live in the manassas area, which is a bit of a haul from NW DC. I also haven't ever taken a TL apart, but I'd be willing to tear yours apart for you! Can't be much different, but no guarantees!
How about an RL?

By the way, have you ever come across a place called PTuning in Manassas? I saw they have an AWD dyno and can do all sorts of mods.

Quick Reply: Neo iPod Adapter Review