Nav Disc version 4.62

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nav Disc version 4.62

In addition to maps updates the following new features have been added:

New Features
One way streets (indicated with arrows on the 1/20 mile scale - turn on in Icon Options - "Other icons")

Loss of male voice prompts (voice prompts revert to female - regardless of previous setup setting)

Additional brand icons for restaurants, motels and other POIs

Updated maps and POIs

Auto Daylight Savings Time switching per new 2007 (March/November) schedule
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Pro

Sasair - I just noticed that the update was available as well. However, under the 'product highlights' column, it says the following:

Product Highlights
This year's update includes updated points of interest (POI) and map coverage. Navigation feature changes include the addition of one-way street icons, and POI brand icons. However, the male voice for guidance, and voice control feedback is no longer available.

Any ideas on what they mean by no more voice control feedback? Does the system no longer restate your settings for the nav, radio and climate control? I'm hoping this isn't the case - I liked the verbal confirmation.

Mike
Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a bit of a digression...but I hope Acura updates it one day so the map is displayed in quasi-3D view (like most 3rd party nav systems). I find it really frustrating sometimes when I look at the map and I have no idea what street I'm about to pass unless I'm zoomed way out.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
where can canadians find the latest version of the maps available ?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by catnippants
voice control feedback is no longer available.
yeah not sure what they mean by that. not sure why they would remove the feature completely. the 4.55/4.56 versions had a setting so you could turn it on and off. Maybe it is something completely different.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sasair
yeah not sure what they mean by that. not sure why they would remove the feature completely. the 4.55/4.56 versions had a setting so you could turn it on and off. Maybe it is something completely different.
I'd ask anyone who upgrades to check this out and report back. If they have eliminated voice command verification, I won't be upgrading any time soon. If, however, they are only referring to the option that reads the screen options as you rotate the dial, I'm less concerned with that. I just don't want to lose the feature that repeats your voice commands back to you.

Does anyone have an '08 with 4.62 that could verify?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I have 4.62 on the way. Arrives next week. I will let you know.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Pro

Cool - thanks!
Mike
Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Safety Car

I'd ask anyone who upgrades to check this out and report back. If they have eliminated voice command verification, I won't be upgrading any time soon. If, however, they are only referring to the option that reads the screen options as you rotate the dial, I'm less concerned with that. I just don't want to lose the feature that repeats your voice commands back to you.

Does anyone have an '08 with 4.62 that could verify?

Thanks,
Mike
Got 4.62 yesterday evening. Voice command verification has been eliminated.

o far, that just means as you pass the cursor over menu selection on the screen, it reads it back to you. For example, you pass the cursor over an XM channel, it will no longer say "Twenty, Top 20 on 20" or pass the cursor over Heading North Up, it will not repeat that label. Not a big deal.

It still gives you blow by blow directions by voice. I have not tried much else. One bonus is that it seems to calculate a route much faster than before. They male voice is gone, much to my wife's dismay.

When I go to work today, I will try out more features.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Does anyone know if the maps the Canadian vehicles come with and the ones the US vehicles come with are the same one?

So if I were to order a 4.62 disc from acura canada it will be the same as Acura USA?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
Got 4.62 yesterday evening. Voice command verification has been eliminated.

o far, that just means as you pass the cursor over menu selection on the screen, it reads it back to you. For example, you pass the cursor over an XM channel, it will no longer say "Twenty, Top 20 on 20" or pass the cursor over Heading North Up, it will not repeat that label. Not a big deal.

It still gives you blow by blow directions by voice. I have not tried much else. One bonus is that it seems to calculate a route much faster than before. They male voice is gone, much to my wife's dismay.

When I go to work today, I will try out more features.
Does it repeat voice commands back to you to verify?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Pro

Thanks Chaz. That helps. Still not clear if it repeats all the voice commands back at you though - like 'Set Temperature 72 degrees' and 'Audio On'.....those are the things I want to still work. I found the screen reader unnecessary anyway.

Is the male voice gone COMPLETELY, or just for the nav? Can you still chose it for the HFL and for audio, climate control, etc? My wife won't be happy either.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mau108
Does anyone know if the maps the Canadian vehicles come with and the ones the US vehicles come with are the same one?

So if I were to order a 4.62 disc from acura canada it will be the same as Acura USA?
You would have to check the Alpine web site. Mine says United States, including Hawaii, and Southern Canada.

https://store.alpine-usa.com/Acuradv.../naviorder.php

This is the link from the Acura Owner Link website.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Thanks Chaz. That helps. Still not clear if it repeats all the voice commands back at you though - like 'Set Temperature 72 degrees' and 'Audio On'.....those are the things I want to still work. I found the screen reader unnecessary anyway.

Is the male voice gone COMPLETELY, or just for the nav? Can you still chose it for the HFL and for audio, climate control, etc? My wife won't be happy either.

Thanks!
Mike
It does still repeat voice commands back at you, for example "Passenger termperature 68 degrees" or "Radio 88.5 FM"

And still prompts you for things such as "Select the method to choose a destination"

I think it is mostly the screen reader, although that screen reader still works at the Voice Command Help Level. As you float the cursor over different commands, it will read back to you.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Pro

Thanks again Chas - sounds like I'll be upgrading after I convince my wife that the male voice isn't necessary - because nobody wants to hear a guy talk anyway.

Mike
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

i am wondering if they addressed the voice prompt not working issue.

about 75% of the time just before you get to your destination the navi voice will say something similar to "next left turn, then destination is ahead on the left" only 75% of the time it stops at 'is' and doesnt finish the sentence. If you press the voice button it will repeat and say it completely, but not the first time. The acura dealer, as well as some tech supervisor at acura says they know of the flaw and are working on it.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tillithz
i am wondering if they addressed the voice prompt not working issue.

about 75% of the time just before you get to your destination the navi voice will say something similar to "next left turn, then destination is ahead on the left" only 75% of the time it stops at 'is' and doesnt finish the sentence. If you press the voice button it will repeat and say it completely, but not the first time. The acura dealer, as well as some tech supervisor at acura says they know of the flaw and are working on it.
My has never done that.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Pro

Mine neither...
Mike
Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Advanced

thanks for the update, i just ordered the new DVD and will let everyone know if i run into anything wierd
Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear

I'm waiting for the update that fixes the search function. I hate trying to find the nearest Walmart. Do I enter "Walmart", "Wal-Mart", "Walmart Supercenter", "Walmart Super Center", or "Walmart Stores, Inc."? Then I get results that are hundreds of miles away. Is it possible for them to fix this with a DVD update? On my Verizon phone, I search for Walmart, and any possible combination of the name is searched and then it displays my results in order from nearest. Please, Acura... fix it! Until then, I have been using my phone to find the address I want, and then input the address into the RDX. Not the greatest solution, but still faster and WAY less frustrating than trying to find something on the RDX Nav system.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by snrsuave
I'm waiting for the update that fixes the search function. I hate trying to find the nearest Walmart. Do I enter "Walmart", "Wal-Mart", "Walmart Supercenter", "Walmart Super Center", or "Walmart Stores, Inc."? Then I get results that are hundreds of miles away. Is it possible for them to fix this with a DVD update? On my Verizon phone, I search for Walmart, and any possible combination of the name is searched and then it displays my results in order from nearest. Please, Acura... fix it! Until then, I have been using my phone to find the address I want, and then input the address into the RDX. Not the greatest solution, but still faster and WAY less frustrating than trying to find something on the RDX Nav system.
I have the same happen for:

Starbucks
Best Buy
Circuit City
and a few other common stores. I don't even bother any more. Not sure if I would want to pay to fix something that was given to me wrong in the first place. I would really be mad if I got the update and things are stil lthe same.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snrsuave
I have the same issue. I agree!!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
very frustrating
Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Pro

So I was thinking about updating my Nav disk to 4.62. I went to the Owner Link to place the order, and noticed the following message at the top of every order page:

"The fall 4.62 DVD release is currently available to dealers for 2008 vehicles only. A release for customer vehicles will be available early next year."

Any idea what this means? Does that mean we can't order it anymore? The folks at Acura need to hire a writer. Damn, they know how to be unclear. First the confusion over losing voice control feedback, now this.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sasair
I have 4.62 as an original edition with my 2008 RDX. The statement in question regarding voice command feedback is a little vague. The statement is intended to indicate that MALE voice is removed, along with MALE voice command feedback.

Voice command feedback in the FEMALE voice works as always, and if you had the MALE voice enabled it will be automatically replaced with the FEMALE voice.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

So I was thinking about updating my Nav disk to 4.62. I went to the Owner Link to place the order, and noticed the following message at the top of every order page:

"The fall 4.62 DVD release is currently available to dealers for 2008 vehicles only. A release for customer vehicles will be available early next year."

Any idea what this means? Does that mean we can't order it anymore? The folks at Acura need to hire a writer. Damn, they know how to be unclear. First the confusion over losing voice control feedback, now this.

Thanks,
Mike
See my thread in the RL discussion about the letter I received from Acura, describing the issues. I had the diagnostic screen issue.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4761

Then see the other thread that goes through the issues real time, blow by blow, if you are interested.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4558
Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
if you noticed there is a post that gives the fix for the in-line diag screen...here is the info for the RL, i bet it wouldnt be much different if at all for the RDX!

Follow the steps below the prevent the ["In Line Diag"] screen from showing up on the future:

* Hold down the buttons (Menu+Map/Guide+Cancel for about 5 seconds (the "Select Diagnosis items" screen will appear).

* Hold down the Map/Guide button for 5-10 seconds (A screen with a "Complete" button, will appear).

* Touch "Complete", and then the "Return" button (the system may re-boot).

* Restart the vehicle and confirm normal operation.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Pro

Ah thanks....that explains it. I guess I'll be waiting a while to upgrade then!

Mike
Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

I have to agree on this one... searching for Chains is the worst. Small, single-locations are awesome, but for chains you have to go w/ the category search and pray you're nearby something. Otherwise, best to google it on the phone and enter manually into the nav. I'd kill for an update that fixes this issue, too - seems like most people would!

Originally Posted by SolidState
I have the same happen for:

Starbucks
Best Buy
Circuit City
and a few other common stores. I don't even bother any more. Not sure if I would want to pay to fix something that was given to me wrong in the first place. I would really be mad if I got the update and things are stil lthe same.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Intermediate

Arrow

Guys & Gals,

I just posted in the other thread "NAV POI SUCKS!" in this forum - it won't solve all of your problems, but it has improved my Nav System satisfaction by 1000% in one day - check it out.

Originally Posted by dombey
I have to agree on this one... searching for Chains is the worst. Small, single-locations are awesome, but for chains you have to go w/ the category search and pray you're nearby something. Otherwise, best to google it on the phone and enter manually into the nav. I'd kill for an update that fixes this issue, too - seems like most people would!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm going to wait on updating. There are no updates for my area or anywhere I plan on going.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Next generation of NAV would be awesome if the unit combined something like Verizon EVD0 and a touch screen to get google maps integrated with the gps like I have on my blackberry. As it is, I rarely navigate unless I know the street address. Using the knob is just way too cumbersome. The Kenwood in-car unit like in the Lexus and Subaru is light years better for entering info.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

Canada RDX's come with 2 discs, a Canada disc and a US+southern canada (ver 4.62)
Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the people ordering the new 4.62 DVD getting it for free or having to pay for it? I would expect the Daylight Saving Time update should be a free upgrade.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by creativeguy
Are the people ordering the new 4.62 DVD getting it for free or having to pay for it? I would expect the Daylight Saving Time update should be a free upgrade.
The local Acura dealer here in AZ said I must pay for the Nav upgrade $200. Even when I said it is missing 3 year old main roads. Any tricks in getting one? Jim
Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jimmyR
The local Acura dealer here in AZ said I must pay for the Nav upgrade $200. Even when I said it is missing 3 year old main roads. Any tricks in getting one? Jim
You can order it from ownerlink for $185. I don't know of any tricks to get it free. I got my first one free because I bought my RDX in Aug '06, and it came with '06 disk. The RDXs build a few months later had the '07 disk. I successfully convinced my dealer that since I bought an '07 car, I should get the '07 disk for free. I know my next one will cost me full price...

Keep in mind that Acura/Alpine gets the map data from NavTeq. It's not Acura's fault that roads are missing. It's a function of when NavTeq does updates to the map database that Acura/Alpine licenses.

Mike
Old 12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

Agreed; the search function needs a lot of work. Generally I just use my phone (iPhone) then plug the address in. manually.

Does anyone know how often they are updated? We live on a new street so as of right now I have no home as far as the nav is concerned . My street shows on google, mapquest, etc, but nothing on the Nav as of 4.62.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Radec
Agreed; the search function needs a lot of work. Generally I just use my phone (iPhone) then plug the address in. manually.

Does anyone know how often they are updated? We live on a new street so as of right now I have no home as far as the nav is concerned . My street shows on google, mapquest, etc, but nothing on the Nav as of 4.62.
From what I can tell, the nav disk itself gets released formally once per year in the Oct time frame. They do make minor changes to fix bugs, etc. throughout the year that they don't really publicize. When you order, you just may get a slightly newer version with a letter appended to the version number. As far as NavTeq is concerned, I don't know how often they actually release updates. However, they don't necessarily bring it 'up to date' every year. To my knowledge, none of the mapping db companies (NavTeq, Teleatlas, etc) cover the whole country every year, and it's not like someone is sending them updates - they actually go out and survey. I've actually seen the loaded Teleatlas cars mapping streets.

Mike
Old 12-14-2007, 06:41 AM
Safety Car

Over on the RL board, some claims they have found 4.70 that is to be released in Jan 08 on ebay. That same seller allegedly sold some copies of 4.62, the one that was pulled back for causing issues with some systems.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM
8th Gear

So I'm considering ordering the 2008 DVD to evaluate whether the roads in my area have improved.

Would anyone be interested in splitting the cost of this evaluation with me? I'm thinking that we could each take a look a the DVD then mail it to the next person.

If only 10 of us were to participate then the evaluation cost would be quite reasonable, and you would save time on going down to the dealership and trying to mess around with one of the new cars without being swarmed by sales people.

PM me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Nav Disc version 4.62