iPhone and RDX Tech

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone and RDX Tech

Greetings All, my 2007 RDX seems to have troubles with my iPhone.

Because there is no phonebook transfer option on the HFL, I often need to make calls from the iPhone directly when driving. Unfortunately, any call made from the iPhone doesn't seem to work with HFL.

When I make an outgoing call from the iPhone, then press HFL and say 'Transfer', the HFL says, "no call is in progress".

Furthermore, after making the call, the iPhone audio on the phone is set to HFL by default when I am in bluetooth range of the car, but the HFL is not detecting a call, so there is no audio or mic for the call until I change the audio source on the iPhone back to 'iPhone', instead of HFL.

This is a pretty big pain.

Other iPhone owners experienced this and perhaps fixed it? I'm on v1.1.2 of the iPhone firmware.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

Check the status on your iPhone and see
if the bluetooth option is set to "Open to public" or something like that

Pairing is not good enough, you have to set your phone to open mode
so that the car can find your phone

I had this problem with my phone a little while ago.
I bought my phone across the Pacific, and it's now working fine.
So... give it a try
Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Advanced

My iphone works fine in my 08 RDX tech. I havent updated the firmware.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
just seems like ur stuff isnt paired correctly. the tech guy at the dealer did mine. on the initial set up, whenever there is a hiccup, i just go into my settings (Pocket PC windows 6.0) & refresh the bluetooth. Havent had any problems.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 PM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running the current firmware. I've had to re-pair the HFL just once. HFL will not recognize a call made from your phone until the other side picks up. It worked the same way with a Razr.

For some reason the HFL stays paired after ignition is off, and I'm not sure of the benefit - since the car is off, why keep it paired? I missed a few calls that way. My solution is to turn off the Bluetooth if I'm near the car.

Overall I'm quite pleased with how the iPhone and HFL work together.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The HFL stays paired, or powered after the car is shut off in case you are on a call when the car is turned off. I think it goes to sleep after sitting idle for a certain number of minutes.

I haven't had any real problems with the iPhone and my 07 tech. It certainly works different than my previous phones, but still works fine.

I initiate most calls from the iPhone. when I place the call, I get the audio source buttons on the iphone screen. Its show 3 buttons I think, handsfreelink, iphone and something else. I've never used the 3rd button, thats why I can't remember what it says, maybe speakerphone? anyway, if I want the call to go to HFL, I just keep hitting the handsfree link button on the iphone. as soon as the call is answered on the other end, it will transfer to HFL. If I want to talk using the iphone, I hit the iphone button and then I can hear the phone ringing through the iphone.

I never have to hit the HFL button in the car and say transfer. I do all the controlling from the iphone itself. Not truly hands free, but it gets the job done.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

When I make an outgoing call from the iPhone, then press HFL and say 'Transfer', the HFL says, "no call is in progress".
I think you have to wait until the call actually connects. Once you see your phone start counting, then do the transfer. It usually works for me, but you may have to explain to the guy who picks up the phone on the other end fast why you yelled transfer in his ear

Furthermore, after making the call, the iPhone audio on the phone is set to HFL by default when I am in bluetooth range of the car, but the HFL is not detecting a call, so there is no audio or mic for the call until I change the audio source on the iPhone back to 'iPhone', instead of HFL.
I run into this too, but I actually like that it defaults to the HFL when in bluetooth range. This way when I just throw my phone in my backpack on my way out of the office & still answer calls without having to manually tell the phone to go to the HFL.
FYI...I've also found that if you do switch your iPhone off the HFL then it will stay like that until you change it back. I found that out when my wife swiched it off to make a personal call and I ended up hanging up on someone a few times before I figured out what was going on.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks All, as I mentioned in the post the iPhone / HFL link works well for calls made from the car, but calls made from the iPhone were a problem.

Sounds like it's simply that the call needs to be connected first. I'll try that.

The problem is when I make a call from the iPhone in the car, it is already set to HFL on the iPhone audio source, but the HFL doesn't respond or seem to be aware that a call is in progress.

I'll run some more tests and see if repeatedly hitting HFL as the audio source on the phone works.

My experience has been as follows though:

1. Make a call on the iPhone (because that's where the phonebook is... argh)
2. No indication on the HFL that a call is in progress.
3. iPhone is making the call, but because the audio source is already set to HFL because I'm sitting in the car, no audio from the phone, and no audio from the HFL.
4. Person I'm calling answers, says 'Hello, hello, hello...', hears nothing, because I don't hear them. I also don't hear any ringing either of course before the call is connected.

All in all it's clunky. I'm just trying to confirm that this is what other folks are experiencing?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kilroy440
Thanks All, as I mentioned in the post the iPhone / HFL link works well for calls made from the car, but calls made from the iPhone were a problem.

Sounds like it's simply that the call needs to be connected first. I'll try that.

The problem is when I make a call from the iPhone in the car, it is already set to HFL on the iPhone audio source, but the HFL doesn't respond or seem to be aware that a call is in progress.

I'll run some more tests and see if repeatedly hitting HFL as the audio source on the phone works.

3. iPhone is making the call, but because the audio source is already set to HFL because I'm sitting in the car, no audio from the phone, and no audio from the HFL.
4. Person I'm calling answers, says 'Hello, hello, hello...', hears nothing, because I don't hear them. I also don't hear any ringing either of course before the call is connected.

All in all it's clunky. I'm just trying to confirm that this is what other folks are experiencing?

Thanks.

I had a similar problem with both my Treo 650 and the iPhone that replaced it. All i did was call the number I wanted from my address book, hang up, then use the HFL and said "redial". It's a bit round-about but it works.

On another note, I've had a problem where I would make a call on the iPhone (or get an incoming call) but I wouldn't be able to hear the phone ringing through the speakers. The call would connect but I can't hear the other line and they can't hear me. I suspect that this happens when the iPhone is on "silent" mode....which wasn't an issue with my Treo. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks.
Yeah, I think I get the same result. Will have to try ssair's trick. Sounds like that involves telling your iPhone FIRST to disconnect from the HFL; then after you dial, hitting the audio source repeatedly on HFL so it xfers over to your RDX. Is this right, SSAir?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Intermediate

On another note, I've had a problem where I would make a call on the iPhone (or get an incoming call) but I wouldn't be able to hear the phone ringing through the speakers. The call would connect but I can't hear the other line and they can't hear me. I suspect that this happens when the iPhone is on "silent" mode....which wasn't an issue with my Treo. Anyone else have this problem?
I'm not sure it is because it is on silent mode. I'm pretty sure I have answered many phone calls when the silent switch is on.

Edit - I actually just checked my phone; the silent switch is on now and I got a call this morning and answered it with the HFL.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Radec
I'm not sure it is because it is on silent mode. I'm pretty sure I have answered many phone calls when the silent switch is on.

Edit - I actually just checked my phone; the silent switch is on now and I got a call this morning and answered it with the HFL.
Cool thanks Radec. I'll watch out next time it happens and see what else it could be.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Acuras since 1988

I just picked up an Iphone yesterday. Is there anything special I need to know before I synch it with the RDX?, or just follow the instructions in the manual. any help before I get into it would be helpful Thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stevenm
I just picked up an Iphone yesterday. Is there anything special I need to know before I synch it with the RDX?, or just follow the instructions in the manual. any help before I get into it would be helpful Thanks
Just go into Settings and turn on Bluetooth. For the next few minutes it will be "discoverable". That is the period of time to pair it with the RDX.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Acuras since 1988

I noticed that the headphone to input jack cable that worked with my old ipod doesnt want to work with the iphone.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stevenm
I noticed that the headphone to input jack cable that worked with my old ipod doesnt want to work with the iphone.
Try one of these:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=193794

Plug it in inside your center console, run the phono cord from it to the dashboard input. For the ultimate system, buy a radio control remote control and leave the iPod in the console all the time!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Instructor

So this doesn't apply necessarily to the iPhone, although I did just get one, but is there a way to transfer all numbers from the phone into the car's phone book? I know the car has one, as it's an option in the voice commands, I just can't figure out how to populate it.

there is that option to add phone numbers into your address book, but you NEED to store an address for that name, too, which is kind of lame.

I hate whenever I get incoming calls and I see only the number on my dash. I don't know anybody's numbers! I'm always checking the phone itself when a call comes in and I'm drivng....cause god knows I can't answer the phone blindly :lol:
Old 03-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

No the RDX does not support phonebook transfers.

Originally Posted by JGard
So this doesn't apply necessarily to the iPhone, although I did just get one, but is there a way to transfer all numbers from the phone into the car's phone book? I know the car has one, as it's an option in the voice commands, I just can't figure out how to populate it.

there is that option to add phone numbers into your address book, but you NEED to store an address for that name, too, which is kind of lame.

I hate whenever I get incoming calls and I see only the number on my dash. I don't know anybody's numbers! I'm always checking the phone itself when a call comes in and I'm drivng....cause god knows I can't answer the phone blindly :lol:
Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Racer

Thanks.

Bringing this topic from the dead....

I can confirm this still an issue. I picked up a 3G iPhone and same case scenario occurs as quoted above. Thank god for Handsfree for being able to use previously stored names, etc.. Otherwise it would sort of suck.

EDIT: Using last v2.0.1 firmware
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Racer

Is this an iPhone problem, or is that just the way bluetooth works? Can any other phone transfer an in-progress call from the handset to HFL? You can hangup the call (before or after it connects) and redial it through HFL.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Racer

Little update, new F/W update from Apple v2.0.2 fixed the silent issue upon using the command "transfer" ...

Works flawlessly now (F/W phone update came out this past Monday evening).
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Problems with iPhone 2.1 software

Since I upgraded my iPhone 3G to version 2.1, anytime I answer an incoming call over HFL, as soon as I answer the call, the music from the stereo starts playing through the speaker and I don't hear the person on the other end. They do hear me talking though. Anyone else experience this? I can make outgoing calls fine.

Here is a more detailed description of what happens:

receiving incoming call.
Stereo mutes.
HFL rings.
press the HFL button to answer.
Stereo un-mutes.
caller can hear me answering.
I can't hear caller talking, can only hear music.
put iphone to ear and also cannot hear caller.
hit the HFL hangup button and I hear the HFL disconnect tones and call is ended.

So for the time being I have to answer calls on the iphone and hold it to my ear. So HFL is useless for me for incoming calls. but works fine for outgoing calls.

Haven't tried re-pairing the phone yet.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Instructor

same issue here after the 2.1 update...I am on the 2.5G phone

Outgoing works but the incoming is messed up. I think it is the 2.1 firmware.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sasair
Since I upgraded my iPhone 3G to version 2.1, anytime I answer an incoming call over HFL, as soon as I answer the call, the music from the stereo starts playing through the speaker and I don't hear the person on the other end. They do hear me talking though. Anyone else experience this? I can make outgoing calls fine.

Here is a more detailed description of what happens:

receiving incoming call.
Stereo mutes.
HFL rings.
press the HFL button to answer.
Stereo un-mutes.
caller can hear me answering.
I can't hear caller talking, can only hear music.
put iphone to ear and also cannot hear caller.
hit the HFL hangup button and I hear the HFL disconnect tones and call is ended.

So for the time being I have to answer calls on the iphone and hold it to my ear. So HFL is useless for me for incoming calls. but works fine for outgoing calls.

Haven't tried re-pairing the phone yet.
I am having the exact same issue and it seems to have just recently started. I am thinking that the phone needs to actually ring despite the HFL ringing ( I noticed that the phone was not ringing but HFL was detecting an incoming call), this is something I am going to confirm driving home tonight.

Going to try a re-pairing as well
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Pro

Wow...bummer. I was expecting to switch to AT&T shortly so I could get an iPhone. This is a MAJOR wrinkle. Is there anyone we can bug to get it fixed?

Mike
Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by buxtons
same issue here after the 2.1 update...I am on the 2.5G phone

Outgoing works but the incoming is messed up. I think it is the 2.1 firmware.
Well I unpaired the phone then re-paired it and it seems to work now. I guess I will keep watching it.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM
07 Carbon Gray/Ebony

No problems with my iPhone 2.1 and HFL. I've never had to re-pair the phone and have done two firmware updates without any issues.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Mine also works fine after re-pairing.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Racer

I couldn't call out successfully after update, will have to try the unpair an re-pair.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 PM
9th Gear

my iphone works fine with the HFL. the speaker volume is a little low in the car. you have to blast the audio system.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Mine is back to not working most of the time. It works sometimes, but kind of random so you never know if it is going to work until you answer so effectively I can't answer using HFL unless I am willing to accept having to call 50% of people back after it doesn't work.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjm004
my iphone works fine with the HFL. the speaker volume is a little low in the car. you have to blast the audio system.
When you are using the phone with HFL you can use the volume button on the side of the phone to increase the "bluetooth" volume of the phone. This fixes the problem of having to turn it up from the stereo. Just double check that
Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jjm004
The volume of the bluetooth and the volume of your stereo system are two different volumes. You'll notice this when you go back and forth and look at the volume levels. When I listen to my stereo it's mostly around 10-12. When listening to bluetooth the volume is around 15-16. So it's working on two different volumes. So if you crank one it will not have an effect on the other.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Instructor

Well mine too is back to not working. Was working for a bit but now pretty much refuses to answer any incoming calls through handfree. Outgoing works fine. The incoming calls will work if it is answered from the phone but if one answers it from the handfree system it will hang up the call..awesome
Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Instructor

weird, this problem JUST started for me last night. It's been working great all along and never a problem. I upgraded to 2.1 when it first came out and no problems.

I guess the only other "issue" is that bluetooth randomly just turns off on the iPhone, so there'll be times I get in the car and I notice the phone icon isn't lit up on the dash, and it's because the phone's settings changed. Very odd.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just upgraded to 2.2 and I have received two phone calls in the RDX and both worked fine. Hopefully it will continue that way....

By the way it wasn't just the RDX affected by the 2.1 upgrade. All the acura's with HFL have experienced the same issue.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Pro

I'm hoping that the iphone is high profile enough that Acura will have an interest in working with Apple where necessary to make sure they stay compatible.

This crap just annoys the hell out of me. The HFL is supposed to act as a standard bluetooth handsfree device. It really bugs me that I have to pick phones by checking the Acura site to see if they will work with the car first. Testing takes FOREVER for some stupid reason, and the new ones are just never there.

Mike
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair
I just upgraded to 2.2 and I have received two phone calls in the RDX and both worked fine. Hopefully it will continue that way....

By the way it wasn't just the RDX affected by the 2.1 upgrade. All the acura's with HFL have experienced the same issue.
confirmed here too....2.2 seems to have done the trick
Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
8th Gear

The exact issue that I have is that if it is in handsfree mode, I will make the call and as soon as it connects it switches back to iphone mode, which is even more annoying if I had music playing prior to the call because then I answer the phone, the other person says "hello hello hello," and hears a loud sudden blast of music until I switch the audio source back to handsfree mode
Old 12-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
V2.2 seems to solve everything but MusicLink not charging an iPhone

I had similar problems with my iPhone 3G in that it would answer the call and while the caller could hear me, I could hear the caller until I switched the iPhone from the HFL to the iPhone Speaker and back. I also had a problem where if you had the iPhone plugged into the AUX jack while on a call (say you were listening to music when the call came in), you would be fine until you disconnected the jack. It would hang up the caller. It would do this even if you have issued 'transfer' via voice command prior to pulling the jack out.

Happy to say that these two issues were resolved for me with the latest update to v2.2.

Now the only problem I have left with my iPhone is that my good ole friend MusicLink will not charge an iPhone (I get a message on the iPhone saying that my connection is unsupported by the iPhone). I can play music through it just fine, just no charging -- which sucks if you are on a long drive....