Installed my SIRIUS S50 in my RDX. (Pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Talking Installed my SIRIUS S50 in my RDX. (Pictures!)

Here are some pictures of my "quick" installation of my SIRIUS S-50 for those who may be interested. I am sure there are better ways to do it, but I wanted it quick and dirty.

NOTE: There are 6 pictures. Give them a chance to load!

I decided that I did not want the unit visible, because it would take up leg room no matter where I put it, so I decided to sacrifice the lower section of the storage space. I had a "Y" connector for the DC Outlet. I had to drill a large 1 1/2" hole in the plastic cover to allow the adapters to fit into the lower space.
The second outlet will be to charge my Nextel Phone. The base to the S50 was just bolted to the cover with lock washers, washers, and nuts.

Here is the completed power installation. One for the phone, one for the S50.
Giving up the lower half section is not that big of a deal (unless you want to store a laptop there), because once you plug something into the outlet, you can't open the hatch anyway!!

The rear cover of the console just snaps off. I drilled a hole for the antenna wire in the plastic area, then routed it down to the carpet, snapping the cover back in place. The wire then goes under the rear fold down seat into the trunk area.

There are two easily removable access panels that allow the wire to be routed up to the weather stripping. I tie wrapped it to an unused connector/relay. I think this might be where the back up sensors connect, however I have no idea what that's for.

I removed the weather stripping and ran the wire under the header, then just brought it out to the antenna as shown. I no longer had the little wire protector that came with it.

Here's what it looks like now. I now am able to listen to Howard Stern again, so now the RDX is fully road worthy. I am currently using the FM transmitter in the unit, as I don't want to have an exposed wire running to the AUX input on the console.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Let the RDX modding Begin. looks nice BTW
Old 09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice!

I assume the RDX head unit has some sort of AUX input in the back? We need someone (Blitzsafe, Soundgate, etc...) to get cracking on an appropriate adapter.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
Very nice!

I assume the RDX head unit has some sort of AUX input in the back? We need someone (Blitzsafe, Soundgate, etc...) to get cracking on an appropriate adapter.
There is an AUX input right in the front on the audio/radio/CD player. However, I don't want to have an exposed wire laying there all of the time, but if the FM transmitter begins to be problematic, I may have to rig something up. Time will tell.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Missin my TSX =(

looks nice man... kool!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:21 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oblio98
There is an AUX input right in the front on the audio/radio/CD player. However, I don't want to have an exposed wire laying there all of the time, but if the FM transmitter begins to be problematic, I may have to rig something up. Time will tell.
If you're into high quality sound you should go with the Aux input. FM transmitters add noise and don't have the same dynamic range. The Aux input will give you full CD/MP3 quality sound - same as whatever you're plugging into it. For me it's worth the wire.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Racer

Yeah, I was wondering if there was also an AUX input on the back of the headunit... that way, with an appropriate adapter, you could wire it up into the center console like you have it now, but it would be hard-wired instead of using FM. I'm also not a fan of the AUX input on the front (but I'll take that over no AUX input at all, don't get me wrong! )
Old 12-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Display of Song Title/Artist?

Does this Sirius setup display song title & artist on the Nav screen?

Thanks for sharing the pics of the setup?

Chinh
Old 12-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
nice install dude ---I have the s50 and it is the best radio for sirius by far.
If your a stern fan its a no brainer to buy it.
You are missing out big time on sound quality though.....the aux in is far superios to the fm transmitter.
If your only listening to talk it doesnt matter. Why would you want to hide the s50 anyway ? It looks really cool on the right of the dash. I have it on my TL---you can always disconnect it when big people get in your car.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:35 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by chinhman
Does this Sirius setup display song title & artist on the Nav screen? Thanks for sharing the pics of the setup?

Chinh
No. There's no way to do that. If I want to see what's on, I have to peek!

Originally Posted by SilverJ
nice install dude ---I have the s50 and it is the best radio for sirius by far.
If your a stern fan its a no brainer to buy it.
You are missing out big time on sound quality though.....the aux in is far superios to the fm transmitter.
If your only listening to talk it doesnt matter. Why would you want to hide the s50 anyway ? It looks really cool on the right of the dash. I have it on my TL---you can always disconnect it when big people get in your car.
HEY NOW! I thought about it, but the RDX doesn't quite have the room that a TL has, and I didn't want the wires to be exposed at all. At some point I'll do the aux in, when I get brave enough to disassemble the console and get at that input point inside the console!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:45 PM
5th Gear

Sirius options

I just got my rdx and am trying to figure out the Sirius install as well. Thanks for the pics. I saw on Sirius board some sort of adapter that will allow you to use the antenna for the xm radio for use with sirius. I am trying to figure out the cleanest install of my radio, so the console idea might be good.

Does any one else have any thoughts
Old 12-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

NICE but..YUVE RUINED YOUR RDX:|lol nwayz still nice keep it up
Old 02-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Julie8000
I just got my rdx and am trying to figure out the Sirius install as well. Thanks for the pics. I saw on Sirius board some sort of adapter that will allow you to use the antenna for the xm radio for use with sirius. I am trying to figure out the cleanest install of my radio, so the console idea might be good.

Does any one else have any thoughts
let me know about this adapter, I'd love to use it on both my RDX and TSX!
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
In terms of cutting the fold-down panels in the center storage to allow a pass-through for the power - there is a gap between the front of the front panel and the wall of the compartment that should let the wires get by it to the space below without having to cut anything. Someone did this with the much thicker wire on their Neo install. You'd have to fold the panel down with the power splitter not plugged in but with its wire snaked around the front of the panel and then plug it in after the panel has passed the outlet.

On the other hand, the fold-down panels are probably cheap to replace if you want to undo the damage...
Old 04-06-2007, 02:44 AM
2nd Gear

before somebody try this, XM and Sirius are merging....no point to this now.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:09 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by jambonesmokes
before somebody try this, XM and Sirius are merging....no point to this now.
True, but it looks like this merger is going the way of the Direct TV/Dish Network merger - killed by lobbiests for the NAB (and in this case Clear Channel as opposed to the cable TV companies)

Either way, drilling a few holes in a plastic flap is hardly radical.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by SilverJ
You are missing out big time on sound quality though.....the aux in is far superios to the fm transmitter. ......
Hey, I finally ran the wire for the AUX. I got one of those 90 degree audio plug deals at Radio Snack. The silver trim piece on the side of the console just snaps off. I popped that off, drilled a hole inside the console between the shifter area and the inside console and ran the wire, totally hidden.

It works great, as the AUX input activates the Dolby Pro Logic II circuitry. Now I don't have to deal with the FM fade at times.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:12 PM
4th Gear

Thumbs up

Hey, I finally ran the wire for the AUX. I got one of those 90 degree audio plug deals at Radio Snack. The silver trim piece on the side of the console just snaps off. I popped that off, drilled a hole inside the console between the shifter area and the inside console and ran the wire, totally hidden.

It works great, as the AUX input activates the Dolby Pro Logic II circuitry. Now I don't have to deal with the FM fade at times.
I would love to see a pic of that cable routing... pretty please
Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM
10th Gear

Nice install...

Aren't XM and Sirius merging soon? That should mean that you'd be able to get both services from either hardware at some point.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:45 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by geogeer
I would love to see a pic of that cable routing... pretty please
I'll take a few pictures this weekend.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
merge is possible...

Originally Posted by Silverstone
Nice install...

Aren't XM and Sirius merging soon? That should mean that you'd be able to get both services from either hardware at some point.
But the approval probably wont happen for another year.

Still-this install is still necessary because this guy is installing the S50 which IMHO is 500 times better than any factory radio(or rally any radio at this point). I have an S50 in my TL(using line in right to the head unit) and its awesome...its like having a Tivo for your sat radio in your car. If your a stern fan the S50 is essential. You can also save any song you hear right to the internal memory...for free. Its awesome.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 AM
4th Gear

I'll take a few pictures this weekend.
Did you have a chance to snag some pics?
I've been looking at the silver trim piece on the side of the console and think it comes off, but can't really figure out how. I don't want to break it.
Got any tips?