Hands-Free-Link Phones

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried out Dice mode with the iPhone today and it totally locks out the iphone screen. Not very useful at this time. Also, does anyone know of a way to initiate a call from the iPhone and tranfer to HFL before the call is picked up?

Gil
Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not have an iPhone but can't you just press the HFL button and say "Transfer" once the call is connected?

That works for my TMobile Wing...
Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 AM
10th Gear

That works, but I wish you could transfer before the call was picked up. On the iPhone, there is a button for HFL that can be selected, but it does not work and the call switches to the phone when it is picked up. You can then press the HFL button and switch the call over.

Gil
Old 07-14-2007, 02:42 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the same way my Blackberry works.

My work-around is to initiate the call with the phone, then hang up before the other party answers, then use the HFL "Redial" feature to re-place the call on the HFL...
Old 07-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Advanced

If I dial using my Wing, I just wait until the call is answered and then I can press an option on the Wing to transfer the phone to the 'Hands free device' or I can say 'Transfer'. Either wah, the the RDX picks it up right away and life is good.

Perhaps you can wait until the party answers, say 'one sec...' and then put the call on hold, hit the button on the RDX to say 'Transfer', and then unhold the call.

Hmmmmm..... not very elegant solution but it would work. Too bad the RDX cannot just see the phone making a call and automatically have HFL take control. It ought to be a Phone Setup option.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

The "wait until they answer" option might work better on some devices, but it can be clumsy to do that and I don't like contacting someone and then asking them to wait while I adjust something on my end.

I don't know how it is with the iPhone (or other phones for that matter), but one issue with the Blackberry Pearl that makes it a little clumsier is that while the HFL doesn't take over when you place a call on the phone, it does manage to interfere enough that the phone provides no ringing feedback and yet it will not allow a transfer until there is an answer. This is a problem for a couple of reasons - you have to pay attention to (listen carefully to) the phone as it has no audio feedback at all - if the call is dropped because you went between towers at the wrong time you won't know that it is dropped unless you look at the handset which means you are no longer listening for an answer - and it is illegal in this state to use a phone without a handsfree so having the phone to your ear is not legal (or safe).

All in all, until the situation changes and there is a way to transfer the call to the HFL automatically, or at least during the ringing phase, my solution with canceling the call and redialing it on the HFL is the only really convenient solution for me and my phone.

As always, YMMV...
Old 07-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by flar
The "wait until they answer" option might work better on some devices, but it can be clumsy to do that and I don't like contacting someone and then asking them to wait while I adjust something on my end.

I don't know how it is with the iPhone (or other phones for that matter), but one issue with the Blackberry Pearl that makes it a little clumsier is that while the HFL doesn't take over when you place a call on the phone, it does manage to interfere enough that the phone provides no ringing feedback and yet it will not allow a transfer until there is an answer. This is a problem for a couple of reasons - you have to pay attention to (listen carefully to) the phone as it has no audio feedback at all - if the call is dropped because you went between towers at the wrong time you won't know that it is dropped unless you look at the handset which means you are no longer listening for an answer - and it is illegal in this state to use a phone without a handsfree so having the phone to your ear is not legal (or safe).

All in all, until the situation changes and there is a way to transfer the call to the HFL automatically, or at least during the ringing phase, my solution with canceling the call and redialing it on the HFL is the only really convenient solution for me and my phone.

As always, YMMV...

This is the exact problem I've been having. There is no auto transfer on the RDX. Don't know why. When I describe this problem on this forum, others say they don't have this problem. Not sure what is causing it, but it's no convenient for to have my phone book stored in the RDX also I find the voice command unreliable at times.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:59 AM
10th Gear

Treo 755p

I have the Treo 755p and an 07 Acura RDX. When I get incoming calls in the car it initiates the handoff to the Handsfree link, but then drops it and the call goes back to the phone. I then have to use the voice command "transfer" to send the call back to the Handsfree link. Another resulting problem is that the incoming calls show up like new numbers on the phone even though they are saved contacts on the phone. This brings up the annoying save contact feature on the phone unnecessarily. Making calls from the handsfree link works fine.
I had the 650 and the 700p on Sprint in the past and had none of these problems with the handsfree link. I can't tell what is different or how to fix it.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
8th Gear

I have the LG enV through Verizon and it works great in the car with the bluetooth. I see signal strength, battery life, Incoming Caller ID. I can also transfer it to the bluetooth prior to the caller picking up the phone.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Cruisin'

flar, I think the idea of dialing from the phone, hanging up, and then telling the car to redial is genious. Thanks. That will make life easier. It really sucks having to tell people to wait while you sound like an idot saying "Transfer". I'd given up on having the phone dial and ended up looking up numbers on the phones address book and reading them to the car. Made me feel I should have gotten a BMW. Your method makes sense and will hold me over for a while. thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 PM
3rd Gear

iphone

Originally Posted by turboted
No problem with my iPhone on the RDX. Everything works great.
Were you able to download your contacts to the bluetooth?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimburgia
Were you able to download your contacts to the bluetooth?
The 07 RDX doesn't download contacts. I don't think the 08 does either, but it may.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by demingr
flar, I think the idea of dialing from the phone, hanging up, and then telling the car to redial is genious. Thanks. That will make life easier. It really sucks having to tell people to wait while you sound like an idot saying "Transfer". I'd given up on having the phone dial and ended up looking up numbers on the phones address book and reading them to the car. Made me feel I should have gotten a BMW. Your method makes sense and will hold me over for a while. thanks
I know what you mean. It's (HFL) kinda clunky if you ask me.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by demingr
I talked to HFL support and they said the other party actually can't hear you when you say "transfer". But yeah, it's still clunky. I'm liking this redial alt-method.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Boon
I talked to HFL support and they said the other party actually can't hear you when you say "transfer". But yeah, it's still clunky. I'm liking this redial alt-method.
That may be true but I have a hard time trying to tell someone "hold-on while I tranfer." They saying "What?" And sometimes it doesn't get it right the first time.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the Nokia n95 work for the RDX?
Old 09-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced

After upgrading my Treo 750 to WM6 all the issues have gone away with the problems with the HFL. The phone is also a different animal also. Well worth the upgrade!!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

I talked to HFL support and they said the other party actually can't hear you when you say "transfer".
They aren't thinking very well. I think what they are trying to say is that the HFL system mutes the audio going to the phone while it is in voice command mode. That's a nifty feature. But it would be, of course, assuming that you were already using the HFL to manage the conversation.

That's all well and good, but we are talking about a situation where it hasn't set up that audio link yet. And the microphone we are worried about our friends hearing us on is the phone's microphone (which HFL has no control over until it does the transfer which you are still trying to initiate). I can mitigate this somewhat by moving the phone away from my face (thus abandoning the friend to say "What?" on their own), but the phone's microphone is still sensitive enough to pick up my HFL voice command fumbling in a closed car.

So, this feature which they are trying to tout does not apply in this situation...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Racer

That's all well and good, but we are talking about a situation where it hasn't set up that audio link yet. And the microphone we are worried about our friends hearing us on is the phone's microphone (which HFL has no control over until it does the transfer which you are still trying to initiate). I can mitigate this somewhat by moving the phone away from my face (thus abandoning the friend to say "What?" on their own), but the phone's microphone is still sensitive enough to pick up my HFL voice command fumbling in a closed car.

So, this feature which they are trying to tout does not apply in this situation...
Hey Flar,

I'm not even sure what the original context for this thread was (and i'm too lazy to backpedal through the three pages) but my comment was mostly in response someone else's...I think?

I have been in the situation where I'm walking to the car on my cell, get in, start the car and after a few seconds I do the "transfer" command, and the call switched over to the HFL. I asked the person I was talking to if they heard me say transfer and they said no. Is that what you're referring to?

btw, love the redial method. I don't even bother with "transfer" anymore unless it's to get in/out of the car.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Hey Flar,

I'm not even sure what the original context for this thread was (and i'm too lazy to backpedal through the three pages) but my comment was mostly in response someone else's...I think?
It was quoted right there in my response - you were relaying something that "HFL support" told you about transfer command.

I have been in the situation where I'm walking to the car on my cell, get in, start the car and after a few seconds I do the "transfer" command, and the call switched over to the HFL. I asked the person I was talking to if they heard me say transfer and they said no. Is that what you're referring to?
Where was the phone when you executed the transfer command? Was it within range for them to hear what you were saying?

Perhaps I should try and ask someone to be sure, but if the HFL hasn't connected to the phone yet, it should not have any impact on the phone transmitting anything that it hears (and my phone will pick up everything in the car - left to its own devices).
Old 09-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Racer

Where was the phone when you executed the transfer command? Was it within range for them to hear what you were saying?

Perhaps I should try and ask someone to be sure, but if the HFL hasn't connected to the phone yet, it should not have any impact on the phone transmitting anything that it hears (and my phone will pick up everything in the car - left to its own devices).
Gotcha. I'm still a bit confused as to what you're really asking (but probably because I just came off another late shift at sork) so you'll have to bear with me.

My phone (a Treo650) wasn't too far from me. I always rest it on top of the closed cup holders. It's close enough that my friend would've been able to hear my voice but probably not what I was exactly saying. But that friend said they heard nothing at all.

Since then, I haven't been in a situation where the HFL hasn't connected. I mostly have trouble when walking away from the car and get a call. Then the bluetooth ties it to the RDX...so the Treo's microphone is disabled until I get out of range. Sorry man.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Racer

Alltel phones:

Razr V3a - pairs with no problem - battery life, roaming and signal strength all show up on the MID

Samsung U520 - pairs with no problem - NO battery life, roaming or signal strength icons on the MID but seems to work 100% otherwise

Haven't tried to transfer calls or anything like that, but for general functionality, both pass. Neither is compatible with Acuralink data upload but that's no biggie. I don't think any Alltel phones will work in that way since Alltel is not even one of the choices on the nav screen during the pairing process.

Very easy process following the voice prompts though... good job Acura!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
^ wow the Razr sends that info to the car?

My Nokia 6275i and Motorola E815 is in the same boat as your Samsung, calls work but no info is disaplyed.

And fast1, the car asks which company your with in your pairing process? I guess Canada its a bit different, it doesn't ask the company info.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mau108

My Nokia 6275i and Motorola E815 is in the same boat as your Samsung, calls work but no info is disaplyed.
My E815 displays all info, as did my RAZR and KRZR and iPhone.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Then us Canadians don't have this feature ?

Do you have to activate it in the calling menu ?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 AM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

It seems that some phones need a software update (from the carrier) in order to access some of the features in HFL. I have a T-Mobile Dash that was previously running Windows Mobile 5. I did not have signal strength and battery level meters on my MID. I upgraded the phone to WM6 and now all features are available (except Acuralink). I know not every phone runs Windows Mobile but check with your carrier to see if updates for your particular phone are available.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mau108

And fast1, the car asks which company your with in your pairing process? I guess Canada its a bit different, it doesn't ask the company info.
After I had done the pairing process, the navi screen prompted me to test out the Acuralink and brought up a choice of carriers that I had service with. Alltel is not one of the current choices, not sure if that will/can be updated with the latest navi disks or by the dealer but it's not that important to me as a feature.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 AM
Instructor

PPC-6700 (Sprint)

I'm using the Sprint PPC-6700 with ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC results (that means battery levels, signal strength, CID, and pairing/linking working virtually perfectly.)

But, there's more to this story. When I first tried the PPC-6700 (running Windows Mobile 5) it worked miserably. I managed to get the phone to pair with HFL, but linking was spotty, and the phone often lost link. There were times when the BT scrambling failed to work (using the pairing code) and, even if the dialing worked, which usually it did, the remote voice was unintelligible. Only unlinking and relinking worked, which required turning off bluetooth and restarting it on the phone (not much fun at 80 mph.) The HFL mini-site lists this phone as FAILED in the compatibility tests, and I can vouch for that.

BUT, all of that changed after I loaded Windows Mobile 6 onto my PPC-6700. (see ppcgeeks.com and search for it.)

Now my PPC-6700 works as perfectly as I could hope with HFL. I use the phone with the ProLogic II through the AUX input to play from Media Player, and it absolutely ROCKS.

Couldn't be happier with this Hands Free/Entertainment solution. So, what's the iPhone bringing to the table?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Anyone try the Blackjack II yet?