GPS Routing Issues - Only in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS Routing Issues - Only in Boston?

Hello All -

Do any of you have problems with the quality of directions that your GPS is giving you? The wife, kid, and I have been out a lot shopping for a new home. And it's allowed us to use the GPS a ton. I can tell you that 9 times out of 10, the directions that come back to us are RIDICULOUS. We try changing the routing type and it's of no use. To the point where we automatically now scan the route before even driving to see where it's going to take us. And I'm not talking downtown... Newton, Belmont, Arlington, Lexington, etc. As an example, we would start out of Belmont and it tell us to take 2W out to 95N, then take an east-bound road (say 4/225) to end up right back in Arlington. That's a good 10 mile "Direct" route. When I could have just crossed over 2 and been there in 2 miles.

I don't know if this localize or not. So would like to get feedback on the quality of directions you have been getting before taking it back to the Dealer.

Thanks!!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
So you've tried all the different routing methods? I'd try "Minimize Freeways" and see if that helps. Also, do you have the latest version of the DVD?
Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in Boston and have had no problems with the GPS at all. In fact I've found newer, quicker ways to get around town that I didn't realize before. Every now and then I will question a turn or an exit but overall I'm pleased with the thing.

The only negative I have on the GPS is the searching functionality for finding places, especially places to hike/bike like Reservations and so forth. Places that have been around for years but for some reason the GPS doesn't have.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Instructor

I think the system is far inferior to my iPhone searching, mapping and routing. I only use it because it is attached to the car and less of a hazard to use than the iPhone.

Google and Apple need to get together to sell Nav systems to the auto manufacturers.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
07 RDX White w/tech

It sucks

Had my RDX for 1 1/2 yrs...hate the Nav since day 1 !

My friends Toyota touch screen nav much better. When I ask the RDX's nav to closest -say Olive Garden restaurant it will pull up one in a state 1,000 miles away.
Also even in "direct route" mode it will show a longer route than one I can find on a hand held map.

I cant wait for my trade in day which is coming this year...it will not be an Acura.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Pro

It puzzles me why people are having such problems with their nav systems when searching. There are some quarks, i can't disagree with that, but when you figure them out it works no problem. For example, if I want to find the closest Dunkin' Donuts you have to put in Dunkin' and not Dunkin in order for it to show up. Why you have to do that is beyond me but now that I know it's a cinch. Too many people expect this GPS to do everything for them. You still have to work at it people.

I can understand the comments about the direct route. Not sure of the reasoning why it goes a certain way but would be nice to know. Fortunately all the times I've used the GPS I haven't had a problem yet when using direct route.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by phoward_15
It puzzles me why people are having such problems with their nav systems when searching. There are some quarks, i can't disagree with that, but when you figure them out it works no problem. For example, if I want to find the closest Dunkin' Donuts you have to put in Dunkin' and not Dunkin in order for it to show up. Why you have to do that is beyond me but now that I know it's a cinch. Too many people expect this GPS to do everything for them. You still have to work at it people.

Snip...
Try the same thing on maps.google.com and you will see what people expect and are used to and why the RDX generates so many complaints.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Patronus
Try the same thing on maps.google.com and you will see what people expect and are used to and why the RDX generates so many complaints.
I disagree...I've had issues with Google maps with newer addresses and businesses as well. Nothing is or will be "perfect" for navigation except if you have Lat-Lon data.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Its Boston... driving is supposed to be hard!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Go Buckeyes

I think that the GPS is great, Yes sometime on local directions it seems to want to stick with State Routes, then cutting through side streets that would make the trip alot shorter, but if I know the short cut to a certain point I take it and go from there with the GPS. just my
Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Blazin with your Moms in

...most times if you take a shorter route after plotting your course with the NAV(in other words deviate from the directions returned to you), the unit will correct itself with the shorter path.

Boston driving sucks..
Boston driving during the Big Dig sucks even worse..
Boston driving during the Big Dig with a NAV unit that doesnt update sucks the worst!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by phoward_15
I live in Boston and have had no problems with the GPS at all. In fact I've found newer, quicker ways to get around town that I didn't realize before. Every now and then I will question a turn or an exit but overall I'm pleased with the thing.

The only negative I have on the GPS is the searching functionality for finding places, especially places to hike/bike like Reservations and so forth. Places that have been around for years but for some reason the GPS doesn't have.
Really? I work in Boston too and don't even bother with it in the city b/c it's always so wrong. Outside the city is fine, though. I just assumed it was b/c of the Big Dig and all the changes. My RDX is 2007 which means the GPS is as of 2006, so I'm guessing that's my problem. Most of the construction stopped in 2007 so anyone with an '08 should be ok I would think.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Patronus
I use Google Maps all the time. My problem with everyone's beef is you test drove the car and checked out the GPS. If you didn't like it then why did you buy the car? Sure, I wish it had Google Map's resolution and cleaner images but to say the GPS sucks is ridiculous. I've seen a lot of Garmin's, Tom Tom's, etc. and don't think they are any better at all. My wife has an iPhone and would still pick an Acura built-in GPS over that any day.

GCB-RDX: Yeah seriously I haven't had any problems with the GPS in Boston. I should clarify this. I haven't had any problems with the directions its given me. What I do sometimes have problems with is finding a specific restaurant/place as there are so many new ones. Basically what I've learned from here on out is make sure I have the address and I'm all set. Sometimes the name won't be in there but that'll change over time. The address, at least in Boston since it's an older city, will always be there.

And as someone mentioned earlier, if I think my way is quicker I'll go that way and the GPS will just re-calculate to help get me there.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Intermediate

I have a 2005 TL and recently upgraded to the latest disc... 3.70 (Orange). Ever since I upgraded, the navi seems to be giving me goofy directions. I haven't had the car all that long, so I can't be sure that it didn't happen with the old disc, but I'm doing the same exact thing... checking the route before I get too far.

I'm in Kansas City...

Like yours, the navi will often take me on less than optimal routes. Other times it will do even more ridiculous things -- once it had me go a quarter-mile out of the way, make a U-turn and come right back to the original route. And it constantly wants to send me up exits and then right back onto the highway. It also makes getting off on certain exits tough because it will tell you to take the highway that runs parallel to the exit for .01 miles and then get off on the exit. This throws you off when you're driving 70mph thinking you're supposed to exit onto another highway instead of a normal city street.

If I actually followed the routes suggested by the navi (if I were in an unfamiliar city), it would -- at times -- be completely inefficient. I've thought about starting a similar thread (and still might) in the TL forums.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by special e. dition
...most times if you take a shorter route after plotting your course with the NAV(in other words deviate from the directions returned to you), the unit will correct itself with the shorter path.
Yes... I've noticed this, too. My question is: why wasn't it able to calculate the short path in the first place?
Old 05-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Thanks all for your feedback. Sounds like we are not alone in experiencing whacked navigation. I am not complaining about the usability of the interface, simply the effectiveness of the routes that are being given.

I assure you all that the directions are sometimes laughable. And agree with many comments - that if I followed them to a T, I would have spent 3x longer in a car driving AROUND destination rather then TO the destination. Circling it like a shark.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:06 AM
07 RDX White w/tech

NAV 2009 update?

DOes anyone know when a 2009 update disc will be available?

Acura should provide it FREE considering all the isssues we have!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a Canadian recently moved to Boston from Vancouver Canada, and never had problems with the Nav before. Now in Boston, the roads in Boston and greater Boston outskirts have been fooling the system easily. No offence, I HATE the roads in Boston, they are so old and poorly planned, it is a miracle anyone gets around with the relative apparent ease.

The Acura Nav has its quirks, but I really think it's the roads in Boston. They are so old and historic, the planner who did it, must have not been thinking about the future. Now the roads are being repaired and altered, but it will still be a mess, because the base foundation of the roads is a mess. The proper way to go is a grid system for roads. And those DARN rotary roundabouts, they are a nightmare to drive in... and the local Bostonians here drive like a maniac does not help the confusing road situation.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:00 PM
7th Gear

Never been to Boston but it sounds like the roads are not so great there. I've had issues with Google Maps sending me to the wrong places before and not knowing the correct addresses. It's not fool proof but I agree that it is better than the Navigation I've seen in Acura or any other type of vehicle for that matter.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Is there a way to change the routing from shortest to fastest?