A good place to mount a radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A good place to mount a radar detector?

Does anyone know where is a good place to mount a radar detector permanently? On our old CRV I used the sun visor on the driver side. The RDX has a large band of tint at the top, that's not going to work well with the radar. I have a valentine one. I can hard wired it. The problem is where is a good place in the car to mount it.

Can I see pics of your setup?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think the tint would create a problem for radar,unless its metallic. ???
Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I have a V-1 also. The tint in the RDX is no problem. Mine will be mounted just to the left of the mirror with the suction cup mount. The aux. monitor will be on the steering column, so that the arrows/lights won't be seen from the rear.

No pix as of yet because I have not done it yet. I need a new suction cup mount. That is how it was in my 3rd gen RX7.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

Originally Posted by JMJ3rd
I have a V-1 also. The tint in the RDX is no problem. Mine will be mounted just to the left of the mirror with the suction cup mount. The aux. monitor will be on the steering column, so that the arrows/lights won't be seen from the rear.

No pix as of yet because I have not done it yet. I need a new suction cup mount. That is how it was in my 3rd gen RX7.
That's where mine is mounted as well. I don't have the concealed display unit though. I just ran the telephone (power) wire under the headrest and down underneath the driver's side rubber T-strip to the fusebox.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pmaggan
That's where mine is mounted as well. I don't have the concealed display unit though. I just ran the telephone (power) wire under the headrest and down underneath the driver's side rubber T-strip to the fusebox.
How did you hook it up in the fusebox? I have the direct wire kit but I haven't used it yet. I have mine mounted on the passenger visor. I ran the telephone cord down the side by the windshield and around the glovebox to the power outlet.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:47 AM
08 PMM/Black Tech

I've just placed an order for another direct wiring kit and remote display. My other kit is already stuck to the S2000. I think the passenger visor will work. Assuming the tint isn't a problem.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
lucky guys.... :P what ever you do, make sure you remove the radar detector from site and power when heading on in to virginia state and CANADA! In canada they will rip it off your car (the ones that actually install the stealth ones that are hidden in the vent up in front of the car and stuff)
Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Racer

Is that all over Canada? I used to drive up there all the time with the radar detector on the visor in my accord. I never saw anything saying radar dectectors were illegal.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sj993
Is that all over Canada? I used to drive up there all the time with the radar detector on the visor in my accord. I never saw anything saying radar dectectors were illegal.

Wanna hear something funny, the radar detectors for the most part are made here or the manufacturer's HQ is located in Canada (theres one in Mississauga, on, I believe its beltronics or something) YET its completely illegal to use in Canada.

Heck if they find you have one in possession they will confiscate it.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
'06 RL Tech

I think some are also made in the states that prohibit them. When I went thru those states I wanted to have the concealed display unit. I believe the V1 isn't detected by their means of detection so they can't tell if you have it unless they see it.

Where are you 737???
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

my buddy here is using one here (he has a beemer and hates driving slow lol) they haven't caught him yet and I've seen it in action it does a good job and cops for some reason can't detect it. (he showed me some video on youtube of a guy testing it out with a cop car right in front of it)

http://www.beltronics.com/sti.html
Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Originally Posted by mau108
Wanna hear something funny, the radar detectors for the most part are made here or the manufacturer's HQ is located in Canada (theres one in Mississauga, on, I believe its beltronics or something) YET its completely illegal to use in Canada.

Heck if they find you have one in possession they will confiscate it.

Not true. Easterns. Ontario != Canada Radar detectors are legal in BC and Alberta. It is illegal in these provinces: Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Racer

Whew... lucky for me I only travel to BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i have the v1 and mount it just to the right of the rearview so when i pull down my visor i dont block the rear facing detector. also the tint on the rdx rear windshield is enough to block the light from the detector so you shouldnt have a problem with that. lastly, i had asked in a previous post about hard wiring to the rearview mirror, anyone make any progress?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

I'm waiting for my remote wiring harness to arrive from V1. I'm planning to mount it exactly where you have yours - to the right of the rear view mirror. I'll post back once I figured out the wiring. I don't have the helm manual so it'll be a figure it out as you go kinna thing. Judging by the instructions for installing the day/night mirror the power will have to come from the map light housing.
https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...ightmirror.pdf
Old 02-03-2008, 07:08 PM
'06 RL Tech

I'm sending mine in to be updated. I've had it since '94. Want to see how much it will be.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Tuape

I too am interested in mounting a detector this area and tapping into power somewhere in the overhead light console.

Does anyone have any specific wiring diagrams showing which wires are hot with the ignition on?

Also, how would a detector work if it were mounted just above the rearview mirror? Would the black dotted tint have any effect?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:38 PM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Someone mentioned earlier that the windshield band is non-metallic. If this is true then the K/KA bands will be fine, however, laser will be greatly reduced. I've posted the same question to V1. Hopefully they will have a more definitive answer. The info on their site is rather out dated. http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt2.asp
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
08 PMM/Black Tech

pics

I did my install this past weekend. The only concern I have is whether or not it's safe to run the V1 remote wire down the pillar next to the airbag. If anyone has any knowledge about the side curtain airbags please chime in. You don't need to worry about it if you're not going to use the remote display.

You'll need the hardwire kit from V1.

I'm going to cut up this FRS radio belt clip to use with my suction cup mount. The V1's suction cups are wicked but I don't trust them. The black dots patch behind the rear view mirror will be a problem if the suction cups shifts sideway. You'll loose suction.

I replaced the suction cups with these clips. They will clip to the top of the lining. Due to the curvature of the windshield lining the left clip will need to be a bit longer than the right if you are mounting to the right of the rear view mirror. Vice versa if you are mounting on the left side.

Here is how the mount will clip onto the lining.

My remote display. You'll need open it up and solder the wire into the unit if you want to mount it here. The reason is that the wire is mounted to the side. It won't fit.

The inside of the remote display. There are 6 wires on the jack, but you'll need only the 4 inner wires.

Alternatively, you can skip the soldering altogether and leave the remote display sitting on the left dash.

Again, I don't know how safe it is to run the wire down the a-pillar behind the lining along side the airbag. It's probably not safe. I'm going to do some research, if it's not safe I'll have to find another route for the wire.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
8th Gear

Realistically I don't think you'll have a problem with the airbag.

When it goes off, the Plastic covering of the Pillar is designed to break off and swing up or down ( haven't pulled mine to see which side is anchored, probably swings up). The bag then inflates.

The force of the bag is enough that it will probably either break the wire or pull the plug out from one side of the other. Might cause the Radar Detector to go flying as well, but truthfully if you are hit hard enough to set off the airbag, the detector isn't going to stay mounted anyway.

At least that's my guess from having seen numerous airbag deployments (paramedic)
Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 AM
08 PMM/Black Tech

MacGuruTX, thanks for the info!

I had lots of people messaging me about tapping into the day/night mirror harness. There are 3 wires on the harness, you want the two outter wires. The black and orange wire. Tap into these two wires and you're all set to get power when the car is on or ignition II.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Instructor

I don't get it, the wires going to my rearview mirror are purple, blue and black (not orange and white as above). Anyone know which is the 12v switched?