Decrease in subwoofer output

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Decrease in subwoofer output

It seems as if my sub is not providing as much bass as it used to. I can hear the difference when adjusting the sub output by itself, but even at max it is not adding much to the overall sound mix. It used to fill the car with bass (obviously not magathump, but it was perfect for my needs), but on bass-heavy songs it now only adds a presence. On regular songs it adds almost nothing unless bass and sub are both maxed. (Usually have sub all the way up with bass at +0 to +2 depending on my mood).

Anyone familiar with audio can suggest a starting point? Bad sub, bad amp, bad head unit? All sound is otherwise clear and I cannot pick up any distortion. My first thought is perhaps a defect in the actual enclosure, but I'd love any educated opinions before I start tearing shit apart.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
IF I had to guess, I would say that the OEM is starting to fail due to bad internals that aren't built to endure prolonged heavy use. If you liked the stock sound prior to the decrease in performance then you should replace with another stock amp and see if that restores your favor.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bchester6
IF I had to guess, I would say that the OEM is starting to fail due to bad internals that aren't built to endure prolonged heavy use. If you liked the stock sound prior to the decrease in performance then you should replace with another stock amp and see if that restores your favor.
*The OEM amplifier is failing. Turning up the subwoofer level to max will continue to fry the power outputs leaving you with this problem if you go the OEM replacement method. I suggest you look at an aftermarket alternative.

Last edited by Bchester6; 02-22-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
It seems as if my sub is not providing as much bass as it used to. I can hear the difference when adjusting the sub output by itself, but even at max it is not adding much to the overall sound mix. It used to fill the car with bass (obviously not magathump, but it was perfect for my needs), but on bass-heavy songs it now only adds a presence. On regular songs it adds almost nothing unless bass and sub are both maxed. (Usually have sub all the way up with bass at +0 to +2 depending on my mood).

Anyone familiar with audio can suggest a starting point? Bad sub, bad amp, bad head unit? All sound is otherwise clear and I cannot pick up any distortion. My first thought is perhaps a defect in the actual enclosure, but I'd love any educated opinions before I start tearing shit apart.

Thanks!
Lmfao your stock subwoofer isn't working properly go get a real system cry baby .
Old 04-12-2018, 07:28 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw

Thanks!
It could be your audio source too...
Old 04-12-2018, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lc46em
Lmfao your stock subwoofer isn't working properly go get a real system cry baby .
I love you too, please give me another sick burn. I'm not very tough on Acurazine, so one more shot and I just might cry myself to sleep.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CSmoney28

It could be your audio source too...
Funny thing is, it may have all been in my head. I've tested with some other songs and found no issue. The DVD-A still sounds amazing, as limited as it is since the media never really caught on. Reading today about the 3G being able to read 5.1 flac and wav off USB storage has be very psyched about making the most of the ELS in the car if/when I get one. No real reason to get rid of mine since it's in great shape, but at the same time all the improvements are so tempting...can't wait to pay the dealer a visit and get some hands on time in a few months.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Banned

Shut up bitch your all bark and no action your sticking up for a dude who talks shit about everyone must be your boyfriend . Don't mention me again puto
Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lc46em
Don't mention me again puto
"Lc46em"

Old 04-14-2018, 07:37 PM
Banned

Good girl I agree time for you to shut your mouth

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-16-2018, 04:06 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't realize the subwoofer had an output control from the head unit until yesterday (ironically the last day i owned the car) but it sounded wayyyyy better turned up. The whole time I had it (13 months) it was about half way up lol.