Wuss My Ride ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:56 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wuss My Ride ?

Ok, first let me say, I love my RDX !! Now let me say it's killing me. The ride is pretty tuff, especially at freeway speeds. Yes, I know I didn't do myself any favors by putting 20" wheels on it (looks great !), but it was pretty stiff to begin with.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas on how I could dampen the suspension a little ? Maybe diffent (air) shocks ??

I can't even take a sip of coffee above 60mph...

Rattled in Cali,

Pete
Old 10-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wxgeek
Ok, first let me say, I love my RDX !! Now let me say it's killing me. The ride is pretty tuff, especially at freeway speeds. Yes, I know I didn't do myself any favors by putting 20" wheels on it (looks great !), but it was pretty stiff to begin with.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas on how I could dampen the suspension a little ? Maybe diffent (air) shocks ??

Rattled in Cali,

Pete
Well, change out the 20in rims for 18s again. Better yet, drop down to 17s and drop the tire pressure by 1-2 psi. Other than that... yeah, softer springs and shocks will do the trick, but I doubt they exist. Customized air suspension would be nice... but $$$.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Dennis

I'm not sure, but I suspect that you'd have a hard time softening the suspension without compromising the handling. Get rid of the 20's.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Missin my TSX =(

just wait, im sure someone would come out with springs or coilovers... but just outta curiosity, got any pics of ur 20s? and what kind of rims did u get?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:21 AM
8th Gear

I thought about putting the origional tires back on, but it seems like there should be another solution. Come on, we've got robots collecting rocks on Mars ! There must be a way to soften that ride without trashing the wheels. I phoned the Bilstein folks today. They don't make a shock for it yet. Any other ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Pete
Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Dennis

I am, by no means a suspension expert, but...

It would seem to me that people buy non-OEM suspension kits to improve handling, and that's bound to make the ride stiffer, not softer. I'm sure it's tecnologically possible to make the suspension parts that you need. Question is whether or not there will there be enough people who want them to make it worth a manufacturer's time and money. Face it, how many people would want to soften the ride of a sport vehicle?

I think you've got a conflict of form vs. function. Do you want t to look cool or do you want it to ride right?

As I said, I'm no expert, but out of curiousity, if hypothetically the only way to soften the ride was to get rid of the 20-inch wheels, what would you do?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Advanced

as others said, no choice but to change the wheels. Go to a softer spring and you risk screwing up the suspension harmony...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

You might also look into a different set of tires, what brand are you using?

For for me on highways on the stock wheels the ride is pretty smooth, but when you get on a concrete interstate it can be a little rough. I can only imagine how it is on your ultra low profile tires.

Like mentioned above most aftermarket suspension kits are geared towards performance and handeling so this most likely won't be an option.

Do you have any picts of your wheels we can see?

JD
Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Racer

Come on, we've got robots collecting rocks on Mars ! There must be a way to soften that ride without trashing the wheels. I phoned the Bilstein folks today. They don't make a shock for it yet. Any other ideas ?
Oh, it can be done... but how much would it cost to do it right. If you offered Bilstein as much money as one of those Mars rovers costs, I betcha they'd solve your problem for you.

Seriously though, as was mentioned, most aftermarket suspension parts have the effect of stiffening up the ride, so even if someone starts making parts, it's probably not going to resolve your issue.

Sorry, but my first recommendation is to ditch the 20's.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well the good news is that with those 20s, your shocks will soft up and wear out quicker....
Old 11-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Dennis

Originally Posted by sasair
well the good news is that with those 20s, your shocks will soft up and wear out quicker....
Can't help but love a guy with a positive attitude.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Of course having the 20's then is just about the looks, not about the performance gains.....
Old 11-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Dennis

As a wild idea, maybe CRV parts would fit. But there's a difference between physicically fitting and working right.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by schuchmn
As a wild idea, maybe CRV parts would fit. But there's a difference between physicically fitting and working right.
why even get ther rdx then if you want to handicrap itssuspension???
Old 11-02-2006, 02:38 PM
8th Gear

The tires are Toyo's and, according to the dealer, are softer than most. I'll try taking it over to a suspension place and see what they say before putting the stock tires and wheels back on.

Anybody want to buy some sweet 20" chrome spoke wheels and tires ? I'll even throw in a kidney belt (-;

Thanks for the all the input,

Pete
Old 11-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

As far as ride goes, it doesn't really matter how soft the tires are. soft tires give you more traction as they mold to the surface you are driving on and they get stickier the warmer they get, but they won't make your ride feel any softer. ride is more dependant on the profile of your tires. and how stiff the sidewalls are. If you have 20 inch rims on there, they must be really low profile tires. in order to fit in the wheel wells. That's what's giving you the harsh ride.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Dennis

Originally Posted by s4iscool
why even get ther rdx then if you want to handicrap itssuspension???
Personally, I never would. But then again, I'd never go from 18- to 20-inch wheels and expect a comfortable ride.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 PM
8th Gear

I have learned a valuable (and pricey) lesson. As musch as I love the looks and handling, I gotta improve the ride or I'll just end up not wanting to spend much time in the car. That real time traffic is the greatest...
Old 11-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

20"

Originally Posted by schuchmn
Personally, I never would. But then again, I'd never go from 18- to 20-inch wheels and expect a comfortable ride.
Yes, I would not spend 3-4 grand to get 20" rims and tires. How much better do they improve the look of the RDX ? But for sure, they will affect the quality of the ride.

Like a friend of mine who bought a set of 17" rims and tires ($2500) to replace the 16" set on his Audi. I barely notice the difference.

After my last trade in, I have learned not to spend too much money on accessories/upgrade to my vehicle. Otherwise, after several years, it is like throwing money into the toilet as those items mean nothing to the trade-in price.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Dennis

Originally Posted by acurardx
After my last trade in, I have learned not to spend too much money on accessories/upgrade to my vehicle. Otherwise, after several years, it is like throwing money into the toilet as those items mean nothing to the trade-in price.
Well, basically, accessories cost money and you have to decide if it's worth it to you. You might, for example, keep the car for a long time. Then if you amortize the cost of accessories over that time, you might decide that something is cheap enough and will enhance your pleasure enough to shell out for it. Or you just might have enough money to indulge yourself. Personal choice.

Having a rather practical nature myself (I usually write "pragmatist" in the box marked "religion"), I tend not to spend money on things that are merely cosmetic, much as I might admire some of them. The accessories I bought with my RDX are helpful convenience items more than anything else and I got a good enough deal on them that they were close to free.

Though, I should also admit that driving fun is high on my list of requirements. If I thought the 19" wheel package would really improve the handling enough to spend that much money on it, I might have gone for it. But, a) it was much to expensive for any performance gain it might have provided, and b) in New Jersey you don't want to make the ride any harsher than it already is. In most places, the term "paving" implies a smooth flat surface, but not here.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Advanced

sadly, there are MANY cheap 20+" wheels...which is why they usually look so terrible.

Anyways, there was some tests done a few years ago that showed on most sport cars, 17" wheels with performance tires put down the best lap times.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What size tires do you have on these 20's? Do you have hubcentric rings also? Maybe its not completely balanced and aligned causing you to have difficulties at higher speeds.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
8th Gear

Yep, hubcentric rings are there. No shimmy or vibration from the wheels, just the road.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Dennis

sadly, there are MANY cheap 20+" wheels...which is why they usually look so terrible.

Anyways, there was some tests done a few years ago that showed on most sport cars, 17" wheels with performance tires put down the best lap times.
I've got to think that there are a lot more variables than wheel size. For example, I'd think that tire width and section height would be more important and the weight of the car will matter as well. So results on one car won't necessarlly apply to another. And, of course, we drive on roads, not tracks.

It also depends on what you're looking to do and what you're willing to compromise.

My last car was an '02 BMW 330xi that came with 205-width Continentals on 17" wheels. Hated 'em. I ended up putting 225-series summer Bridgestones on wider 17" wheels. The greater width and performance of the tires gave me better handling and a lot more grip without compromising the ride much. I can't say that it didn't affect the ride at all -- the lower profile and stiffer sidewalls make for somewhat rougher driving, but it was still well within my comfort range.

I'm sure I could have gotten better turn-in and response with 18" wheels, but on rough roads instead of smooth race tracks, I don't think I'd have been happy. A lesson just learned by our thread starter.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:50 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

RDX fourm sucks after all this dicussion and still no pics?

someones gonna have to teach you geezers how to use an online car forum.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:27 AM
7th Gear

Just wondering if the Tire Pressure Monitoring System worked with those no OEM 20 inch wheels?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
RDX fourm sucks after all this dicussion and still no pics?

someones gonna have to teach you geezers how to use an online car forum.
"Geezers?" ouch, now that hurt. I was just about to suggest to this young man to pull out his sippy cup... Should solve the whole coffee problem.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:55 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you need some softer shocks like Monroe Sensa-trac's. i dont know if they make them for the RDX yet so look into it.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:37 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts

Agreed:

While larger wheels with lower profile sidewalls generate faster turn-in, there is a net decrease in performance over a certain size.

The greater unsprung weight causes slower suspension rebound times so the tires spend more time NOT contacting the road. Adding one pound of unsprung weight equals adding ten pounds to the car.

Greater rotational mass farther from the hub means the wheel is slower to accelerate and decelerate, resulting in slower 0-60 times and longer braking.

Therefore, the preponderance of "dubs" on Escalades is inversely proportional
to their owner's familiarity with Sir Isaac Newton, and directly proportional to their fascination with pretty, shiny, spinning things.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Pro

Old 02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
97Acura, there are plenty of pix. You're apparently too lazy to seek them out. Somebody's gonna have to teach you whippersnappers how to use an online car forum's SEARCH function. What's that quote? "Youth is wasted on the young." Ha! J/K. LOL.

Why not trade in that CL for an RDX and join us? You're about due for a new ride, eh?! Nice shot in your avatar, though!

Okay, okay, here is a nice pic just for you guys, dig it! I think these wheels look like 13s! Badddddazzzzzzz! Check out the Lambo mirrors, too. Sweeet.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Okay, okay, here is a nice pic just for you guys, dig it! I think these wheels look like 13s! Badddddazzzzzzz! Check out the Lambo mirrors, too. Sweeet.

[/QUOTE]

OMG It's a Pacer! ...hence your name. Damn you're old! Haven't seen one of those in an aweful long time. Sweet! Don't let it go.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't have a Pacer, Mickie. LOL. I just found that on the web. But it is the original CUV, ha!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
rdxsteverino

Boy that brings back memories - a yellow Glass Greenhouse!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino

Boy that brings back memories - a yellow Glass Greenhouse!
Or fishbowl! LOL
Old 02-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Carbon Bronze w/Tech

Rattled in Cali,

Pete
Pete - I feel your pain, brother. I don't have any fancy tires, but I live in frigid Minnesota, where it is common to over-inflate tires because they can lose pressure in the cold weather. When I first got my RDX, it bounced so much that I felt like I was in the middle of a Steinbeck novel.

I had them reduce the tire pressure, and that helped, although not as much as I'd hoped. If there was an after-market solution for the stiff suspension, I would definitely be interested.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
do any of you people know what youre talking about as far as wheel size goes? anyone who stated that 20"s were the problem is incorrect. i run a 245/45/20 avon tyre and the only way it changed was for the better imo. the accessory 19"s had a smaller (stiffer) sidewall than the oem 18"s. youre just not USING THE RIGHT TIRE. oh and BTW, the wheel gap with 20" rims and improper tire make it look like a straight mexican ride, almost a 6 inch tire to fender gap. 20" rims are not the problem - low profile tires are.

edit - those HUGE DUBS ive got..are only 1-1/4 inch taller overall diameter then the oem 18"s. i have the TSW Estorils, not crappy ghetto chrome. if ANYONE HERE can tell a diff in 0-60 and braking with this setup they are too anal for me anyway