will the rdx be discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will the rdx be discontinued?

hello, been viewing some of these threads with tons of interest. am looking to buy a cuv within the next 12 mos (awaiting deals and end of my current car lease - toyota corolla - too boring LOL).

ive test driven the rdx, q5, cx-7, ex35, tiguan and glk. for you rdx aficionados out there, seems like some have mentioned the rdx might be discontinued, how likely is this?

if i intend to buy (i dont wanna lease anymore) by early next year, would you recommend still purchasing the 2011 rdx (i guess it will be same as 2010). i dont want to buy a 2011 rdx only to be completely overhauled/discontinued by 2012 (waste of $, i think). but if only to be overhauled by 2014, i might just pull the trigger.

any thoughts?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:35 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Whatever people (we) say here is speculations, unless we are quoting a reliable source. As far as buying a 2011 Vs a 2012? who freaking knows...Acura seems to overhaul their cars every 3 years or so, which means the 2012 or 2013 model will be completely new, if there is such.....then again, some people think that the world will end in 2012, so just go and buy a car and don't worry about what will happen tomorrow, just enjoy it.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Instructor

My uncle just picked up a brand new Q5. Size-wise, it's the same as an RDX. I think the Q5 sits a bit lower. He got the 3.2 quattro and I took it for a test drive. I don't think I fully got used to the gas pedal yet, but it drove nice. I think the V6 has a smoother tq curve than the 2.3 turbo in the RDX and therefore is easier to drive if you first get in it. I'm used to my RDX and I like the way it drives. The Audi wasn't as peppy as the RDX though I think it sports higher HP and TQ numbers.

Luxury-wise...I think the Audi brings some "neater" things...but it's Euro vs. Japanese. The RDX is luxury enough for me...and my 07 doesn't have the tech package...so it was really comparing apples to oranges. Although, my uncle didn't pick up the FULLY loaded Q5...it was lacking navi and smart key sensing (those were the only things I noticed). So comparing that model/trim to the non-tech RDX...they were pretty similar. The biggest difference was the way they drove. Handling was comparable on both, but acceleration and ride smoothness were different. Q5 has a more consistent acceleration and rides a bit smoother. RDX rides more sporty and you can definitely feel when the turbo kicks in.

I don't think the RDX will be discontinued. I think Acura will make some major improvements to it now that other manufacturers are bringing in models in this class. I'd expect to see a more bad ass RDX in the years to come from Acura.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced

botak, personally, i wouldnt want the rdx to be discontinued as i just bought a 2010 model this year LOL. but in reality, it may or may not happen. if it does, it wont be till 2013 at the earliest (per my count) as they just "redesigned" the beak this year -- add another 2 years for a 3 yr cycle = 2012 it will still be sold.

another thing to consider: i personally like the driving "feel" of the rdx. that includes steering feel and yes, the handling and the "harsh" bumps on city streets. i also like the turbo (relative to a 6). and not to mention the price, of course. newer models may not have those things -- look at the newer tsx vs older tsx's -- i think a lot of posters would agree that the old one has a few better characteristics.

to answer your question, if you're buying in the next 6-12 mos, id buy it - but you can ask for more $ off and tell the dealer it's a "stale" model relative to up and coming/current competitors: GLK, Q5, even the new BMW X3 by late this year. truth be told, i might buy another rdx next year (or maybe go G37 per mike1981's suggestion LOL). how's that as advice?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The RDX most likely won't be discontinued. It will most likely be updated, though.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by princelybug
The RDX most likely won't be discontinued. It will most likely be updated, though.
when do you think it will be "updated" wrestrepo? if it's not discontinued, is my timing correct? prolly updated in 2013 (announced late 2012)...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Intermediate

Wrestrepo--great post. Made me chuckle re: the nature of the species...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by elcheapo
when do you think it will be "updated" wrestrepo? if it's not discontinued, is my timing correct? prolly updated in 2013 (announced late 2012)...
If the new RDX, (assuming it's still with us), is updated on the Honda/Acura car cycle, there will be a new one in the 2012 MY (five-year cycle). Otherwise, if it's like the MDX, it will wait until 2013 (truck cycle - six years).
Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by dewey22
Wrestrepo--great post. Made me chuckle re: the nature of the species...
what did I do now?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Honda/Acura typical model cycles are 5 years, so a redesign would be coming up fairly soon, if it is not discontinued. I don't think it will be, and I hope it isn't, because the RDX is also on my list of possibilities for my next vehicle.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Right now there really is no other vehicle out there in the RDXs price range that I would rather have. I'd love to see a serious overhaul for the next iteration of the RDX.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced

agree in terms of price range, but would you buy it now given the change in 2012/2013? i had adviced the OP to buy it since it may be his only/first rdx. (I already have one and am now leaning more to just getting a g37 for a 2nd vehicle come next year).
Old 05-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

I would buy it now. The new model is not due for a couple of years yet, and you don't really want the first year of the new model anyway. I made that mistake with my TSX and have been experiencing several first year model issues lately.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:12 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I would buy it now. The new model is not due for a couple of years yet, and you don't really want the first year of the new model anyway. I made that mistake with my TSX and have been experiencing several first year model issues lately.
Will you be changing your name then?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Advanced

this was one of the questions i asked when i bought my 2010- answer is 50/50 - nobody knows except honda mgmt (i might ask them actually when i talk to them - we follow their stocks).

i bought it as i want the first turbo engine in a stock honda/acura vehicle. as well, i wanted the built in turbo gauge which no other vehicle seemed to have. finally, i just love the vehicle and if it's discontinued in 2013, then so be it. so far, after 3k travelled, seems to be a good decision.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Advanced

btw, even if i ask them, they might not tell me... but worth a try... will give an update mid june...
Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
The RDX is unique for Acura with small turbo engine with SH-AWD. I'm thinking we will see more small displacement force induction engines in the future. Audi, BMW, Ford and Buick are now providing these options.

I think the RDX will be around for round 2 because the small CUV field will be very crowded in a few years.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's ok with me if they discontinued it coz i already bought one lol... IMO I think resale value would be better if they do that and our RDX will be rare (like the RSX) which is cool to me. :p
Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
its all about efficiency, i really dont care whats under the hood - but if it works well and delivers performance thats all that really matters to me. I mean acura i guess dipped its toes into an uncharted market for them, what they did wrong was introduce it in a truck of all things and basically brought MPG that fell below what a competitor V6 delivers. So, on both accounts, they are far from getting it correct. Additionally, their turbo drives like a turbo, and operates nothing like say, the Audi T. All that said, i still like it, and i like the elastic power band of this turbo, gives you the impression at least that there is alot more power under the hood, and the RDX performs really well with it, and overall its just really fun to drive when you can manipulate the turbo/power well.

What acura should have done is the turbo TSX w/SHAWD. If they wanted to do ANYTHING for their sales, a turbo TSX would have turned heads of many ppl looking at the A4, or maybe even a 3 series, throw in the SHAWD, and i think the TSX would have reinvented the modern acura more than all of the gimmicks and terrible designs they incorporated instead. Right now, the ZDX is a vehicle almost from some sort of Acura subsidiary when you are in the showroom, its like ok this is great, wtf are all these other cars then. If they do anything with the RDX, push the truck forward and acura, please stop with embellishing things that do not deserve embellishment, the TL commercial about its exhaust system is sort of laughable if you know at least a bit about cars, i mean, imagine if BMW decided to do some sort of automotive tech commercial, the TL would look like a sentra (well, maybe not that bad, but u get the point) and the 'technocharged' RDX might have been charged up when it was released, but its old now.

what sells the current RDX is price, and thats whats keeping it in the game now. Frankly, there is NO competition for the RDX, it sort of sits alone. The CX-7 comes in where the RDX picks up, and theres really nothing performance oriented south of 35k. So the RDX sort of enjoys an advantage being in no mans land, it grabs sales from people not satisfied with the CRV and those that want more than a CX-7 etc. if acura actually does 'reinvent' the RDX, and pushes it up in price like the TL, i doubt it would sell, at all, unless it packed serious punches. If the RDX cost 40k, it would have to SERIOUSLY compete with german makers, or else it will wind up like the TL, overpriced, underpowered (at least from the #s), and not competitive at its price point. I mean the base TL is terrible. The rims destroy any hope in it looking good, so it really makes you consider paying 38 for the SHAWD, but then the TL loooses me completely - why buy it? hi G37x.

after all this rambling - what is my point? If acura keeps teh RDX, which they most likely will - offer something that will make people WANT TO OWN ONE. The turbo didnt do that, nor did the ride quality (you sanction off a ton of buyers who are not enthusiasts - or - what enthusiasts did acura really think they were going to pull over anyways)...id love to see some improvements with the drivetrain, some selectable settings with drivability, much less plastic, more features (i dont care so much about tech - at least put rear HVAC in for christ sakes), and an improvement with build quality (currently, my rear bumper is flared on both sides because the clips dont stay in place, i have one mudguard with a 2 inch gap between it and the running board, and rattles galore) can someone please instruct Honda & Acura on how to implement a sound system and not have it rattle more than I can hear the music. It can be done, really. If the RDX is discontinued, i almost sort of blame it on Acura for not taking necessary steps, because the RDX is a winner, and it could dominate, if they packaged it with MDX care while keeping the performance, there really would be nothing to complain about.

wow late nite ramble!!!!! asdgfiasudhfew89ghsuig
Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Cruisin'

Yea, but it was a very good ramble!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
thanks lol
Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom-tx
yea, but it was a very good ramble!
+1
Old 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I hope the RDX just gets a major restyle. If it does I just may buy another one. I bought my 2008 for the SH-AWD, sporty drive feel, Amenities. Small draw backs are the interior noise and rough ride. Actually, I don't mind the ride as it is characteristic of a sports sedan but the interior noises (and window ratles) need improving.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Carbon2008RDX captures my summary exactly. I have the same issues with the RDX--but still overall like it.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Will you be changing your name then?
LOL. Probably not. Too much hassle.

Like many have said, the RDX is a solid vehicle, especially in its price range. It just needs some tweeks to make it even better. Hopefully Honda realizes what needs to be changed and do it, instead of axing it altogether, because that would be a shame. Fuel economy, engine roughness, and interior materials are at the top of my list of what needs improvements. Overall, the RDX really reminds me of a taller TSX, which isn't a bad thing, just needs some refinements.

I would totally take a diesel RDX.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM
6th Gear

Rdx

I was one of the first to buy the RDX when it came out in '07 when I had a '05 TSX....the RDX is great and the only thing I have read about future of the RDX models (such as 2012-2013) is that the 4 cyl turbo is going away and will probably get the 3.5L v6....this is due to the fuel ratings that cars are going to need to have over the next few years. I gues the RDX at 19 or 20 combines mpg's won't cut it in the future.

I truly hope Acura cotinues the RDX, as at it's entry price point, you get a lot of fun with it. Personally, Acura needs to have a few more "fun" cars like the RDX, such as a TSX coupe or something like the RSX. Just my thoughts though!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chiacuradude
I was one of the first to buy the RDX when it came out in '07 when I had a '05 TSX....the RDX is great and the only thing I have read about future of the RDX models (such as 2012-2013) is that the 4 cyl turbo is going away and will probably get the 3.5L v6....this is due to the fuel ratings that cars are going to need to have over the next few years. I gues the RDX at 19 or 20 combines mpg's won't cut it in the future.

I truly hope Acura cotinues the RDX, as at it's entry price point, you get a lot of fun with it. Personally, Acura needs to have a few more "fun" cars like the RDX, such as a TSX coupe or something like the RSX. Just my thoughts though!
no question about it, we bought the rdx as we found/find it fun to drive without making too much of a dent in the pocket. i test drove it then with my wife - her words were "rdx = not like some ol fuddy duddy vehicle - the growl, etc etc". granted, she found the glk heavy, boring, sleepy and the q5: "what? all this for XXX$?!"... i dunno if the 6 cyl will continue to make the "RDX" a fun drive: will the car be heavier and the zippiness go away- i hope not - we're a good target mkt for the rdx since we dont mind the bumpy ride and love all the gadgetry inside. fyi, we drive a lot on the freeways and have learned to love burning gas LOL... ill keep you guys posted on what i find out from honda investor relations -- this will, in all probability be an early 2011 mtg where ill try to pry new info on the "rdx" (last mtg didnt yield a lot of results :P)

Last edited by stoxxsp500; 07-26-2010 at 09:40 AM.