Why did you get the RDX - an AWD vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It just helps with understeer, and more grip, as the tests have shown for SH-AWD to work you have to be very throttle happy in the turns, in most cases it does not help, but in cornering is where it helps most. Oh and CONGRATS!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burnout8488
How does AWD improve handling in the dry at all?! AWD doesn't increase the amount of lateral G's your car can pull.

The only time AWD can really affect your handling in the dry is out of a corner, and that is ONLY if your tires would break loose in that situation if the car was FWD/RWD.
My advice would be for you to read up on Acura's SHAWD system, starting with their development of the system for the RL.

The system started on the RL to improve dry weather handling and inclement weather was secondary. To quote Acura's info, "The RL is able to send 100% of the available rear-wheel torque to the wheel with the most traction."

The RDX is able to turn the outside rear wheel faster than the average of the front wheels. Thus, this faster rotation of the outside wheel lightens the load on the front wheels which enables the RDX to attack a corner much better than without the SHAWD system.

The Acura website describes it as "balance and control".
Old 09-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nyjumpman23
*JUMPS FOR JOY* FINALLY GO IT ...been driving for 2 days..LOVE IT
avg, - 18.5 to 21.9 mpg on gas =)
That's great Nyjumpman! Good to hear you finally got your RDX this weekend! Did you get any of the extras you were hoping for? I got a chance to try out the heated seat today, it was only 9 deg. C outside...brrr. Heated seats rock
Old 09-23-2007, 09:15 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I burned my BUM LOL
um..
next week i gota bring it in for service, they installing low jack - they gona give me CCargo trey, all weather floor mats, wheel locks, (replace the water/soak strip on the passanger side, cause it was hindged), etc.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:18 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Tripp11
My advice would be for you to read up on Acura's SHAWD system, starting with their development of the system for the RL.

The system started on the RL to improve dry weather handling and inclement weather was secondary. To quote Acura's info, "The RL is able to send 100% of the available rear-wheel torque to the wheel with the most traction."

The RDX is able to turn the outside rear wheel faster than the average of the front wheels. Thus, this faster rotation of the outside wheel lightens the load on the front wheels which enables the RDX to attack a corner much better than without the SHAWD system.

The Acura website describes it as "balance and control".
SH-AWD is a good system for handling, but I think its more of a
feeling that it provides for the overall handling, the RL has this and still can't lap a time with the A6 or 5 Series, because of the softer settings.

The next AWD system from Audi (Quattro) will have the same concept of the SH-AWD system, it should be better on the Audi.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:22 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
SH-AWD is a good system for handling, but I think its more of a
feeling that it provides for the overall handling, the RL has this and still can't lap a time with the A6 or 5 Series, because of the softer settings.

The next AWD systems from Audi (Quattro) and BMW (X Drive?) will have the same concept of the SH-AWD system, it should be better on these cars as the systems they have are currently RWD Biased for BMW and symmetrical for Audi.
I would have to say, sorta agree with u.
Cause, i'd give them 2-3 yrs to enhance it. You know the 1st yr they do new technology, they need to tweak it a bit.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:25 PM
B A N N E D

I edited to take out some of the stuff as it was off the top of my head, but Audi's next Quattro system will be like SH-AWD, without the FWD Bias.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:33 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by LLN
Audi introduces new differential for its quattro AWD

Audi announced today that it has developed a new performance differential for its quattro all-wheel drive that will be available next year. The new system is able to send the engine's power independently between the rear wheels, improving traction over the current quattro AWD. Audi claims the new setup virtually eliminates the understeer often associated with its cars.

The new system works by analyzing acceleration, yaw angle and speed to identify where traction is lost. Once slippage is detected, the system can instantly route power to the individual rear wheel with the most traction in less that 100 milliseconds. The new differential features a multi-plate clutch which is activated by an electro-hydraulic actuator.

Drivers can select from three modes on the new system; comfort–which focuses on stability, auto–which provides a balance between stability and handling, and dynamic–the purest handling mode.
It seems the main benifit is understeer, and it will have three modes, which is very nice! My Next purchase is coming in at the A4 again . I hope SH-AWD will pan out on the TSX, to see how it competes.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Instructor

*JUMPS FOR JOY* FINALLY GO IT ...been driving for 2 days..LOVE IT
avg, - 18.5 to 21.9 mpg on gas =)
congrats NYjumpman! you've got your RDX!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Thanx MZhao, finally, 2 yrs of research, and testing out all other SuV's.
(always been a honda/acura person)
Old 09-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Instructor

NYJUMPMAN; Ever thought of a used porsche cayman turbo? lol
Old 09-24-2007, 12:25 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

even that, price is still to high for me.
even for used.

the price was manageable.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mzhao84
NYJUMPMAN; Ever thought of a used porsche cayman turbo? lol

The reliability and high maintenance costs of the Porsche could be an issue in the long run.

I personally don't understand the concept of a super high performance SUV or CUV. 450 turbocharged HP in a SUV??? personally, I feel it is more of a power statement that such owners hope to project and gain attention with... "I got the HP in my car to bully other cars... but sadly no where realistically to use it..."

That kind of insane power should be limited to sedans, coupes and lower slung cars that can handle the power and on the track. JMHO.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:17 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by mav238
The reliability and high maintenance costs of the Porsche could be an issue in the long run.

I personally don't understand the concept of a super high performance SUV or CUV. 450 turbocharged HP in a SUV??? personally, I feel it is more of a power statement that such owners hope to project and gain attention with... "I got the HP in my car to bully other cars... but sadly no where realistically to use it..."

That kind of insane power should be limited to sedans, coupes and lower slung cars that can handle the power and on the track. JMHO.
Isn't that the Cayenne? If so I would love one, because I love CUV's, and they have serious off road capability's, which gives it the appeal that it needs. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and .92g on the skidpad isn't bad. The Cayenne Turbo is very fast and Can handle all of that on the track. It's a serious handler.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
Isn't that the Cayenne? If so I would love one, because I love CUV's, and they have serious off road capability's, which gives it the appeal that it needs. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and .92g on the skidpad isn't bad. The Cayenne Turbo is very fast and Can handle all of that on the track. It's a serious handler.
yeah, I just realized I typed the wrong model lol. CAYENNE. not CAYMAN.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Racer

Thanx MZhao, finally, 2 yrs of research, and testing out all other SuV's.
(always been a honda/acura person)
Hey congrats dude! It's been a long time coming. Would love to see some pics whenever you can.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:07 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

My car

Pictures taken w/ Nokia N95 cell.
(YAY* for 5mp camera on phone..haha , otherwise everythign would look ickish, and do the car no justice)

'08 ACURA RDX w/ TECH
W/ Sports board

(bringing it in next week to get lo jack installeD) plus
getting the Cargo tray and All Weather mats thrown in for me for me
(Wheel locks are already installed)
(I had to haggle the crap outta them)

And thanx for all the help from people with all your excerps. Def. helped me out. Reearched this car for nearly 2 yrs.(since the announcment in early 2006).
And wanting to wait out till the 2nd yr model comes out.
I was worth the wait.

Hope this helps out & Enjoy the pics.
Take care.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Racer

Pictures taken w/ Nokia N95 cell.
(YAY* for 5mp camera on phone..haha , otherwise everythign would look ickish, and do the car no justice)
Wow, the quality of those pics is awesome. PMM looks great on the RDX...much better than on the TL. I still love my CGP but it's so damn hard to keep clean/spotless. Thanks dude, enjoy the car!
Old 09-25-2007, 01:50 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Thanx alot booN. Appreciate it. Glad i was able to get the pics uploaded for everyone to see.
Its def. an Acura family thing going on here..*TEAR DROP* hahaaha
Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Oh, I had to make sure I had to take air out the tires the first day.
The pressure was @ 44-46lbs. I was like waht?!??!!!!
They suggest on the side of the door
for 32 lbs PSI.
SO I set mine to around 32-34.
Just to stay around that.
When tires run on ground, they tend to heat n expand, so I figure i'd keep it around that range, and not try to under- or over do it.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Very nice pics NYjumpman! That was my second colour choice
Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Thank you, Thank you.