What Should I Use To Clean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What Should I Use To Clean?

I used armour all wipes for my dash and it leaves the wipe marks, I never had this problem with my other cars? And i used leather wipes for the seats and I can see my wipes too!! What the heck should I use.... I hate the dash material ahhh
Old 04-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use something like Meguiar's detailing wipes...more of a matte finish with no greasy residue.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KAM604
I used armour all wipes for my dash and it leaves the wipe marks, I never had this problem with my other cars? And i used leather wipes for the seats and I can see my wipes too!! What the heck should I use.... I hate the dash material ahhh

Regading your dash, my advice would be to leave it as is, just a moist cloth to remove the dust or any spills. I never EVER use Armor All, and it has solvents and polymers in there that can really affect the texture and colour of the dash material over the long period. The car tinted glass is more than sufficient to remove most of the UV coming in. Glass by itself removes about 50% of the UV.

For leather, just use the Lexol conditioning spray. I have used that for many years now, protected the leather great, and smells like new leather each time I used it.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oasis3582
Use something like Meguiar's detailing wipes...more of a matte finish with no greasy residue.
I use the Meguiar's wipes for both my dash and leather. They both leave wipe marks. I think its the pre-moisten paper wipes no matter the brand (they tend to be on the dry side). When my wipes run out, I go back to spray-on and cloth towels.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Intermediate

Seriously, never use Armor All. It's terrible for your interior.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 AM
Photographer

Originally Posted by mav238
Regading your dash, my advice would be to leave it as is, just a moist cloth to remove the dust or any spills. I never EVER use Armor All, and it has solvents and polymers in there that can really affect the texture and colour of the dash material over the long period. The car tinted glass is more than sufficient to remove most of the UV coming in. Glass by itself removes about 50% of the UV.

For leather, just use the Lexol conditioning spray. I have used that for many years now, protected the leather great, and smells like new leather each time I used it.
just curious but do you know this as a fact? if so where did you get this information from?

i use Vinylex by Lexol. works great! some poeple swear by 303 but personally i dont like it.

**edit** oops. you said clean not protect. sorry.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DNPhotography
just curious but do you know this as a fact? if so where did you get this information from?

i use Vinylex by Lexol. works great! some poeple swear by 303 but personally i dont like it.

I'm a 303 Aerospace Protectant cult member, but I did purchase Vinylex based on DNP's advice and started to use that and pleased with the results.

For cleaning, I just use the dry swiffers to pick up dust, debris, etc... after I've blown the dash, vents, crevices clear with compressed air.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by turboted
I use the Meguiar's wipes for both my dash and leather. They both leave wipe marks. I think its the pre-moisten paper wipes no matter the brand (they tend to be on the dry side). When my wipes run out, I go back to spray-on and cloth towels.
There are traditional interior wipes, and then just the standard detailing wipes. The detailers have a non-greasy protectant on them that dries invisible. It conditions the dash very slightly, but still has a matte finish.

Never used their leather wipes, so I cannot comment on that one.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Instructor

303 Aerospace Protectant +1

Fantastic product !!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Racer

Also, if you are just looking to remove dust and fuzz from your dash, not dirt per se, you can just use a microfiber towel. These things are amazing - they act like dust magnets/swiffers without needing any wet spray/cleaner.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DNPhotography

Armour All in particular, does not have the right chemistry in it's formulation. Dash board materials are made of specific plastized rubber, and if you are not careful with what you use on them, you can really easily ruin it in the long run. When I was much younger, Armor All was the craze for beautifying interiors... After using it for a while on my old cars, I noticed the dash faded colour and was worse off than before I applied it.

I have since owned many different cars, Honda, Infiniti, Acura, BMW, and never once did I use anything more than just a moistened cloth to clean the dash. Especially cars nowadays, it has the factory tint, which is really effective in removing 99% of the UV, you should really not have to worry about the effects of UV.

Products like Vinylex, are fine products, it's formulation will not affect the dash materials, but I don't believe it really signficantly improves longevity of the materials. It's like a car only needing to run only on 87 octane, but feeding it 91 octane does not do anything harm, and does not do anything more for it either.

Leather on the other hand, will dry out and crack, with usage, due to the loss of natural oils in them. So products like Lexol will definitely do a lot of good to it, maintaining the original texture and resilience. Smells good too.

JMHO
Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Racer

I agree about not using plastic protectants. I have a 10 year old Toyota that has only been cleaned inside with a damp cotton towel and the plastics are still soft and smooth, even in our California sun.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Photographer

Armour All in particular, does not have the right chemistry in it's formulation. Dash board materials are made of specific plastized rubber, and if you are not careful with what you use on them, you can really easily ruin it in the long run. When I was much younger, Armor All was the craze for beautifying interiors... After using it for a while on my old cars, I noticed the dash faded colour and was worse off than before I applied it.

I have since owned many different cars, Honda, Infiniti, Acura, BMW, and never once did I use anything more than just a moistened cloth to clean the dash. Especially cars nowadays, it has the factory tint, which is really effective in removing 99% of the UV, you should really not have to worry about the effects of UV.
Products like Vinylex, are fine products, it's formulation will not affect the dash materials, but I don't believe it really signficantly improves longevity of the materials. It's like a car only needing to run only on 87 octane, but feeding it 91 octane does not do anything harm, and does not do anything more for it either.

Leather on the other hand, will dry out and crack, with usage, due to the loss of natural oils in them. So products like Lexol will definitely do a lot of good to it, maintaining the original texture and resilience. Smells good too.

JMHO
the RDX has privacy glass not tint. most SUVs have privacy glass.

also you did not answer my question (in bold in the first quote). i just dont want you to give people the wrong advice that is all. who knows i maybe wrong.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 AM
Instructor

I use microfiber towels and water and somtines add some soapy water for scuffs and what not. I dont like shine and greasy feeling materials just that natural clean look.