What do you use to clean your RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you use to clean your RDX?

Just wondering what cleaning products owners use to keep their RDX looking shiny and new. In the past, all I've ever done is vacuum and run it through the local car wash...but seeing how this is my first car, I wanna keep it looking nice. Below is a list of the things I thought could possibly be wash/cleaned:

Exterior

Body
Grille (silver trim)
Wheels
Windows
Tires
Pillars

Interior
Seats
Dash
Nav Screen
Plastic trim/door handles
Floor mats

Any tips/tricks would be much appreciated too. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 PM
10th Gear

Haven't bought an RDX yet, but here's what I'm using on my old '96 Integra:

Exterior
Body - Liquid car wash concentrate (I forget the brand) but I switched away from Armour All's as it tended to stip wax. I have used the 3 step Maguiars wax system for the last couple of years and love the way the car looks afterwards. It takes a little more time to apply the 3 coats (cleaner, polish, carnuba), but it is worth it for me since I don't get around to it as often as I should.
Grille (silver trim) - N/A for me - it is paint color. But a good tar/bug remover can save some elbow grease...just make sure it is clearcoat safe.
Wheels - Still looking. I hit them with road tar cleaner, though
Windows - Glass wipes (most recently Armour All) keep you from going crazy when cleaning the inside of the windshield. My experience is that some leave a bit of residue that a microfiber cloth (or old t-shirt) takes off just fine. Rain Ex (same residue issues) or even car wax works good on exterior glass.
Tires - Seems to me that the foaming stuff is all about the same and easy. Don't apply this in the garage or driveway though - the runoff will discolor concrete. I pull mine in the street
Pillars - I just bought some Mother's stuff designed specifically for black surfaces (rubber/plastic) but have not tried it yet.

Interior
Seats/Dash - I have used the Meguires leather wipes, but have found them to be good at cleaning but GREASY. Another 2 step process IMO. There are better options out there I'm sure.
Nav Screen - N/A for me. However, Monster Cable sells a screen cleaner for the new LCD TV's that would probably work. I would look to the PC world (not automotive world for this product)
Plastic trim/door handles
Floor mats - Blast 'em at the car wash!

I think there are some good posts in the OFF TOPIC forums also...
Old 08-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I use the $7.00 drive-thru car wash at the gas station ($6.00 with fill up!).

It beats the cr@p outta the antenna though
Old 08-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo

I was wondering about that. The one on the family MDX fell off after 4yrs of drive-thru car washes. You think the same will be true with the RDX?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo

Your getting ripped off. My gas station wash is $5 with any gas purchase.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:44 PM
08 RDX CBP/Taupe/Base

Are you guys using the touchless car washes ? I would never consider putting a car through a car wash that still uses brushes.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I land somewhere between what you'd call an "automatic wash person" and a "zealot" in keeping my car looking good. That is, I don't take my car through a gas station. I'll probably use Palmolive to strip off the old wax when it's time for a new coat. In the winter, I use a handwash place where I wash it myself just to get the salt off it.

Translation: I enjoy keeping my cars looking good but don't like to spend a crazy amount of time on it.

Washing: Right now I'm using Turtle Wax Ice [car wash]. It dissolves road crap well and leaves nil in the way of water spots (I assume it has a water softener). I got a gallon or so jug at Costco for about $6, good deal. Next I might try a Meguiar's or Mother's product as I've read good things about their wash products. (big box and auto parts stores typically sell their stuff)

Important: To avoid swirls, etc. on your beautiful paint job, always rinse your dirty wash sponge before putting it back in the soapy water. If you don't, you run the risk of rubbing your car down with grit, small pebbles, etc. which can leave nasty scratches and swirls. And use a high quality sponge. I use a microfiber mitt. (3-pack, ~ $7 at Costco)

Dry: I picked up a "California Water Blade" squeegee that works very, very well in combination with the chamois. (Target: IIRC, ~ $14; or $22 for 2 or 3 at Costco)

Windows/Nav/Dials: Stoner Invisible Glass. I have tinted my front windows so Windex is a big no-no. (Target, ~$4 a can)

Wax: I put a coat of Mother's Carnauba Cleaner Wax on in April. It goes on and off very easily and gave my RDX a deep shine. I'll probably keep using this product. I'm probably about due if not overdue for another coat. (Target/Auto Stores, ~$6 or so IIRC)

I have the California Duster SUV [soft dust mop] for wiping away body dust between washings. I've only used it a few times -- as I said I don't like to spend a lot of time on cleanup -- but this thing works well between washings. I also have a mini-duster for the dash. Both work great for taking off dust/dirt and leaving nothing behind. The more you use them, the better they get. (Amazon and Target, ~ $12 - $25 IIRC)

In a year or so, I might get one of those clay bars as they are apparently good at taking off road crap buildup. Probably a Mother's or Meguiar's.

Seats: I have some Meguiar's foaming leather cleaner/conditioner which I haven't used yet. It looks like a good product. (Target/Auto Parts stores, maybe $5-$6)

Mats: I have the all-weather Acura mats. I just use a scrub brush and my car wash solution with water. Rinse well and scrub every inch or the dirt will just show up again when they're dry. Hang to dry completely before putting them back into car.

Wheels: Just the car wash solution after I'm done washing the body. I found a nifty long brush at Target to scrub the inside of the wheels along with a mesh (harder material) sponge from Target or W-M. The mesh sponge also works well for taking bugs off the front bumper.

I also scrub the tires down. I dress them with 303 Aerospace protectant (Amazon, $18 for a huge spray bottle) every 3rd or 4th wash. It lasts a long time. Some people also apply it to their dash, etc. but thus far I haven't found the need though it's probably a smart idea considering the sun beats down on it all the time. If you have Armor All or similar, I say toss it. It doesn't compare to the quality look and lasting protection you get from something like the 303 product. Plus Armor All looks terrible on your tires after about a week as parts of it will wear/wash off...then your tires look blotchy/striped.

If you want to go higher end car care, a lot of people swear by Zaino and stuff like this. I want to say some also use a sealer by Zaino (or similar brand) to apply to the grill, wheels and tail pipes which aids greatly in washing as it doesn't let grime, etc. adhere to surfaces. STF and there are some threads on this from earlier this year. I think there's also a general wash/wax forum on Acurazine.

One other thing: I say I don't like to spend a lot of time on this, but I find when I'm doing it, it is relaxing and a job well done makes me feel good on completion. And my RDX looks absolutely stunning when she's all shined up. Hope you get the same enjoyment. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice informative post, Pacer!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Racer

Yeah awesome, thanks man!

I picked up some Windex "for autos" last night actually. I'm assuming that's okay for the windows (no ammonia) but should I pick up the Stoner's stuff anyway?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Can anyone recommend a good window cleaner for the inside windshield? Seems I have to clean the inside windshield often more than my last 2 cars. Not sure if the plastics emit more fumes, or it I got a bad bottle of windex.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Tripp and Boon, glad to help. The Windex for autos is probably fine if you have not had any aftermarket tint. Just be careful not to get it on your dash/surfaces as it may discolor if it's accidentally left there. (Spray your rag or spread newspaper across your dash when you spray the window. Or just wipe down your dash/console/door sills really well when you're done with the windows.)

OC-RDX: So that you may not dread, someone once said, right here in this thread, which you could have read:

Windows/Nav/Dials: Stoner Invisible Glass. I have tinted my front windows so Windex is a big no-no. (Target, ~$4 a can)

Old 09-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Intermediate

My tips

Great write up Pacer!

Here are a couple items I use.

http://www.autogeek.net/ezbrush.html for wheels

Micro fiber wash pads – no scratch ‘em!
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=10268

And for the paint – Rejex, it’s the best and the owner of the store, Barry Moore, will give you your $$ back if you’re not satisfied with his products. http://www.x-autoproducts.com/index.htm Super easy to apply.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

>Seats: I have some Meguiar's foaming leather cleaner/conditioner which I haven't used yet. It looks like a good product. (Target/Auto Parts stores, maybe $5-$6)

Followup: I cleaned my black seats today with the Meguiar's product above. I have to say I am disappointed in the product. It left dark spots wherever it was applied such that it's nearly impossible to get uniform coverage...even after it seemed like I applied it on the whole seat. I suppose it will eventually wear off so the seats are uniform again, but what a letdown. I'll be contacting Meguiar's to voice my wrath.

Maybe this is not a problem for non-black seats. I applied it to my gf's Suzuki's gray seats and did not notice anything real glaring (probably due to the very light color of the seats), although it did exhibit some of the same result.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to add my two cents to this:

Just finished detailing the RDX last weekend.

I use P21S paint cleansing emulsion to remove all contamination from the paint first. It is quite easy to apply and remove (microfibre cloth makes this latter task a singe).

I follow up with waxing. For the hood, front and rear quarter-panels and the side door panels, I use P21S Carnuaba wax, which goes on like butter. Again microfibre cloth makes removing residual wax a singe.

The lower rocker panels and the roof, I use a tougher wax polish, Einsett metallic polish wax, which will provide better protection than the P21S.

With P21S Carnuaba wax, since there is no strong solvent used, you can layer the wax without fear of removing the previous application. This layering adds depth to the colour. With some synthetic waxes and natural Carnuaba waxes, you can't layer the applications, as the solvents used will remove the previous applications.

I generally, apply the wax over the whole car, let it sit inside the garage for several hours, doing something more useful in the house, then come back when I have about 30 mins freetime, use the microfibre cloths and remove all the residual wax in 30 mins or less. I really love microfibre cloths.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Advanced

I'm slightly off topic, but since I live in Manhattan I cannot detail the car myself-- no garage, water or power near the car. Whats a good way to find a reliable detailer in my area?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by turboted
Your getting ripped off. My gas station wash is $5 with any gas purchase.
After my $5 gas station wash ripped my rear wipper blade arm off, I stopped using them. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Advanced

I am sold on Duragloss products. Here is what I use:

Exterior cleaner: http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=296
Between polishes (after each wash): http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=272
Polish: http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=336

For the seats: http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=284

I get great results from these products - the shine is amazing, super-slick, and very durable.

You can get duragloss stuff from CarQuest
Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Instructor

leather:
I used "blue magic" leather and vinyl cleaner and had the same results with poor uniform coverage. I believe this is just the nature of leather (porous). Within a few days, you couldn't tell. I was freak'in out at first though, thinking I might have ruined the seats!

Wheels/tires:
after scrubbing them with a wheel brush (the front wheels get heavy brake dust grease) I use a tire spray. Currently, I'm using a gloss finish. I like the "matte" better.

Body:
I only go with touchless, or I do it myself with turtle wax and a sponge then a shammy cloth. Some folks are afraid of sponges, but I haven't noticed scratches from it. I think anything can scratch if you have dirt on it, and then rub the car.

For the dash ect:
what's wrong with the old armoral? I used it and had trouble with universal coverage since the dash is not a smooth surface. some went into the cracks and some brushed the surface. It looked worse then before!

For dusting all around and Panels:
Good old micro-duster. pledge makes one, but I use any brand. I do this in between detailing cause the dust shows a lot on the black interior.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Stoner Invisible Glass Warning

A word of caution about Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner recommended above. It will significantly etch the clear plastics in the RDX interior (plastic covering gauges and upper info screen) if it comes in contact with them. It certainly cleans windows well, but I think it might contain acetone which is terrible for a wide range of plastics. I got a bit of over-spray on my gauge covers and ended up with etched rough spots.

The good news is I found something to remedy the problem, Novus plastic polish. It worked great on this, iPod screen scratches, and a friends hazed headlights. Quite frankly, it was amazing how well it worked. I never thought clear plastic could be restored!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:00 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Boon
Just wondering what cleaning products owners use to keep their RDX looking shiny and new. In the past, all I've ever done is vacuum and run it through the local car wash...but seeing how this is my first car, I wanna keep it looking nice. Below is a list of the things I thought could possibly be wash/cleaned:
Exterior Wash
Body, Grille, Windows, Pillars, Wheels & Tires: Just a basic gentle generic car wash from PepAdvanceAutoZone.
Applied with Lambswool glove & soft brush on wheels/tires.
Semi-dry with chamois, final dry with microfiber.
Grille (silver trim) & wherever there's bugs: Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish, using Microfiber towel.
Windows/Mirrors: Stoners Invisible Glass.

Exterior Detail
Body: Clay bar, Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish.
Body, Grille, Windows, Pillars: Klasse All-In-One (AIO) except Windshield.
Windshield: RainX.
Body, Grille, Pillars: Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) over the AIO.
Body Wax (spring/summer): Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.
Body Wax (fall/winter): Collinite 476 Super Doublecoat.
Wheels: Wheel Wax (tm) applied front & back during tire rotation.
Tires: Generical Spray-on No Touch Wet Look stuff.

Interior Clean
Seats: Lexol Leather Cleaner (Orange bottle).
Nav Screen: Stoners Invisible Glass.
Dash, Plastic trim/door handles, Floor mats: 303 Aerospace cleaner.

Interior Detail
Seats: Lexol Leather Protectant (Brown bottle).
Dash, Nax Screen, Plastic trim/door handles, Floor mats: 303 Aerospace protectant.
Carpet: 3M Scotchgard for automobiles, or all-season mats.

I'm obviously insanely fastidious, but you don't have to go over the top like I do. My overriding factor is finding the best protection, even if the cost is a little higher.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dennarda
A word of caution about Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner recommended above. It will significantly etch the clear plastics in the RDX interior (plastic covering gauges and upper info screen) if it comes in contact with them. It certainly cleans windows well, but I think it might contain acetone which is terrible for a wide range of plastics. I got a bit of over-spray on my gauge covers and ended up with etched rough spots.

The good news is I found something to remedy the problem, Novus plastic polish. It worked great on this, iPod screen scratches, and a friends hazed headlights. Quite frankly, it was amazing how well it worked. I never thought clear plastic could be restored!
Ooh, I will look for the Novus. I've had some decent results with Klasse All-In-One but I have some overspray-etch on an Integra instrument panel that's a bit too much. I don't think the overspray is from Stoner's, I spray that onto a paper towel, apply it, and dry with a microfiber.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Water....
If it gets real dirty, water and a soft sponge...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 Words

ZAINO BABY!