25.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

What do you dislike most about the 2010 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you dislike most about the 2010 RDX

Vote...and feel free to comment and add more. Or defend what Acura did (if you can).

I should say that I love the RDX and I HATE to see that Acura is dropping the ball on one hell of an SUV!

Last edited by bgillette79; 07-21-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i dont like cut corners on what was a very WIDE opening for Acura to take a look at the competing field, and make STRONG moves against them, having all other manufactures showing their cards. A slapped on nose and bumper job are hardly a try. To conform the car to the corporate look is one thing, but given the abundance of small utes out there now - they could have modified the RDX in many other ways, without going full restyle - this is one of the most aggressive vehicle segments, with really good offerings from lux, near lux, and affordable models... they could have made some more moves.

You can say, well the car doesnt sell well, so why bother; this was their opportunity to change that, doing it with 2wd is laughable, also considering that the 2wd model is what the 2007 debut model had cost - the RDX base price has gone up over 2k - content upgrades included std multi function MID display, power pass seat & drivers seat mem...all things which should have been std or at least an option from the get-go. 35,500 is still in the lower tier for CUV land, the Acura still has alot of value, but if you compare the base RDX against a Murano SL (@34k) or the LE (at 38k), or a move upscale & start comparing the RDX to Acura's true targets, i think it just breaks down big time and has a hard time justifying its price when the drivetrain remains a 4cyl & the tranny is STILL a 5 speed, and the options have remained the same (no dual panel roof, no rear hvac, no improvements to drivability like maybe a sport gearing or variable suspension etc) all things that could be added, yes for a cost, but improvements which would make the RDX way more appealing or competitive to the X3, Q5, EX, GLK, Volvo (and the list goes onnnn) You can say, those things can come with the restyle, hmm good so now Acura will be years behind the ball like always. They are always solid with the technology/gadget offerings, but never with the actual hardware to the vehicle like better brakes, styling upgrades/kits, an updated tranny, bigger engines, etc etc The engine doesnt even have to be bigger but how bout an updated tune to get some more stock power, we know its there (hondata)...throw out an additional 10hp or TQ (like how Honda used to do it with the MMC Accords)

those are my issues - unless im missing something, the RDX has not changed other than the USB/ipod functionality
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

As of now, my only problem with the new RDX is the front grill. As MMIKE has mentioned, yes Acura could offer up so more options. I think if they did, they should offer them in either packages or seperately. But as it stands now, Acura only seem to do 2 models, base and tech, thats it, no other options for those who would want them. I personally love the RDX as it is but yes, a few more little options couldn't hurt. As for comparing the RDX to any other CUV, to me, there is no competition. The closest for me was the BMW X3 and because of reliability issues and high maintenance and repair cost, the BMW is now off my radar. I would never consider any of the other brands. I am and have always been "hard-core" Honda mainly for the package they offer for the price and the great reliability to boot. The others do not offer the same level of reliability as does Honda/Acura. For me, this is a major point.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Maybe they didn't want to move it up market anymore in order to not siphon sales from the upcoming ZDX. I was hoping for some more changes in order to justify trading in my '07, but I don't see any.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

How abot an electrig rear gate? For cripes sakes, even chrysler products have electric sliding doors
Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Intermediate

My spelling sucks, sorry, but as gtrrdx said, I see nothing new that would justify my trading the 09 in.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't expecting huge leaps, but some minor things would be nice. Electric gate, a bit more refinement, rain sensing wipers, new interior color...anything other than just having iPod connectivity.

I know the EX35 is tiny, but I see one by my place and it looks very nice + it's loaded with stuff like power folding seats, power tilt/telescope etc.

Last edited by cwepruk; 07-22-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 AM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Would of thought that they would have added rear air conditioner? And the new chrome on the front fog looks hideous. Too much plastic on rear I like it colored to match the cuv best.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Racer

I really hope someone at Acura reads this thread.

We are all saying the same thing...and we actually liked the 07-09 RDX. Honestly I'm happy the 2010 kinda sucks. If it would have came out and been great I'd regret buying my 09 in June. Now I'm looking like a rocket scientist for getting the deal I did when I did it.

Unless I see changes in 2012-2013 to the Acura line-up and offerings I'll probably be moving to another car company because honestly Acura is losing their appeal to me with the 2010 models.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
i can live with the new grille. surprisingly i think both the RDX and MDX can pull it off. the 2 tone rear bumper was definitely a downgrade but this too can be fixed.

however, there are 3 items i would love to have on the RDX:

1. power tailgate
2. rear passenger air vent
3. panoramic sunroof

these are all the items my mom's GLK has which i like very much
Old 07-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXtremist
i can live with the new grille. surprisingly i think both the RDX and MDX can pull it off. the 2 tone rear bumper was definitely a downgrade but this too can be fixed.

however, there are 3 items i would love to have on the RDX:

1. power tailgate
2. rear passenger air vent
3. panoramic sunroof

these are all the items my mom's GLK has which i like very much
Funny--I don't think I would be willing to pay for any of those. No dig at you, but it shows just how hard it is to manage a product as complex as a car. My wife has ridden in the back and has said that even in the Dallas summer the back is plenty cool. I think power liftgates are unecessary and slow. The big sunroof would be nice, but I don't think I would pay extra.

My list is more like:

1. 300 hp
2. rear seat video
3. better nav
Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing wrong with having some options/packages. A rear air vent means nothing to me since I don't sit there, but if it's standard on cheap cars - it should be on an Acura.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

RDX Upgrades

I really agree with the post of how difficult it is to please so many disparate tastes/desires in a car. :shakehead But since we're all throwing things in the pot--I live in the Portland area and rain sensing wipers would be terrific. I had them on an earlier BMW and since it was already on the car I bought, I took it, though I would not have added them if I were building a car at that time (I bought one off the floor). I discovered they are great--and can even be seen as a safety feature to a degree. I wish Acura would make them an option because I'd always include them on future cars if available.

That said----I'm still sold on the RDX as what I hoped for when I purchased it (after careful research/analysis). It is almost perfect for my needs/wants.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No "all of the above" option? LOL
Old 07-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Advanced

The only thing I would've wanted is a keyless start. Acura's integrated key/remote fob is cool for the first 10 minutes but it's big, bulky, and I'm constantly opening the blade by mistake. Maybe with the 2012 model?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by RDXBOYMA
The only thing I would've wanted is a keyless start. Acura's integrated key/remote fob is cool for the first 10 minutes but it's big, bulky, and I'm constantly opening the blade by mistake.
My sentiments exactly. I prefer the separate key fob/key of my 2002 RSX to the giante RDX key.

I also agree with the poster about the rain-sensing wipers. We had those on our 2006 MDX and really miss having them on a 3-year newer vehicle. (Apparently Honda doesn't like them since the new MDX doesn't have them either).

The other feature we miss as little after having it in the MDX is the automatic headlights. Are those on the 2010?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow

Gentlemen, gentlemen all those ideas are very nice ie. rear ac/ power tailgates/ better nav (even though acura has best nav in market) but at the end of the day they are all gimmicks to make you think other cars are better. Would it be nice yes necessary no. We all bought Acura because we are value oriented people and we saw tremendous value as well as style in our RDX. Now is the touched up 2010 a little ugly around the edges? Yes to many of us who already own 07-09's but maybe to a new buyer it is the best thing since sliced bread; becuase its new... WE should just be happy we have the model we have stop bitching about how acura sucks because the grass is not greener on the other side....
Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Gentlemen, gentlemen all those ideas are very nice ie. rear ac/ power tailgates/ better nav (even though acura has best nav in market) but at the end of the day they are all gimmicks to make you think other cars are better. Would it be nice yes necessary no. We all bought Acura because we are value oriented people and we saw tremendous value as well as style in our RDX. Now is the touched up 2010 a little ugly around the edges? Yes to many of us who already own 07-09's but maybe to a new buyer it is the best thing since sliced bread; becuase its new... WE should just be happy we have the model we have stop bitching about how acura sucks because the grass is not greener on the other side....

Very true post!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Racer

I don't think we should stop bitching at all because those of us who like our RDX now might be FUTURE buyers.

If we bitch and complain now maybe, just maybe Acura might listen to what we want and actually do something about it for the major model makeover that is set to happen somewhere in the 2012-2013 range.

I agree the 07-09 people should indeed be happy, and that 2010 buyers will be getting a good ride, but the 2010 clearly could have been better with a little more effort out of Acura. This really just seems like a very lazy MMC to me. Slapping on a new front and rear bumper (ugly as they may be), putting new (uglier) rims on and really only adding USB connectivity as the only real interior upgrade really isn't a MMC to me!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Gentlemen, gentlemen all those ideas are very nice ie. rear ac/ power tailgates/ better nav (even though acura has best nav in market) but at the end of the day they are all gimmicks to make you think other cars are better. Would it be nice yes necessary no

distinction. DVD-A is a gimmick, solar sensing HVAC is a gimmick.

not a gimmick; USEFUL & NECESSARY technology like - elec hatch - this is requirement because the RDX does not even have a hatch release from the key fob which makes it impossible to get the hatch up..so id say lets start with a hatch pop and have elec as an option, that is not at all asking much

rear HVAC - cant see how that would be a gimmick, at all

leveling lights
ambient interior lighting
CARGO LIGHTING!!
power jacks
hydro lifts for the hood
MORE SOUND INSULATION
---------

tranny upgrades/UPDATES, better/revised engine, better/variable/revised suspension, sport packages...these are things that do not even come close to being categorized as a gimmick, but are things that distinguish middle of the pack from the front runners. My rents Accord V6 Nav has everything the RDX does, for 10 k less, save the AWD. And now, the V6 Accord is all the car the TSX is, for over 10k less.

its not bitching or complaining, its wanting comparably equipped vehicles to the germans & other jap makers.

ideal situation would be an Acura that has the same tools as a german car while retaining the reliability & value that Acura has established. realistically, they arent even close to matching equipment from other brands, even American brands like Ford offer stuff Acura doesnt even have. The styling sucks, imo the equipment is lacking too, whether from real options or the LACK of them, so what do we have left? Reliability? as owners we should bitch and complain all day long to make them a better company and move out of the 90's with their 5 sp automatic and FWD. the RDX will be my last Acura unless they come up with something that gives me a reason to stay, other than the whole value thing. Frankly, value is subjective, it all depends on what basket you put your eggs in.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Instructor

on a car with an interior as small as the rdx, rear vents are a gimmick. there is no need for them. never once, ever has anyone in the back seats of my cars said, wow, I wish there were vents back here. give me a break. there's plenty of airflow overall in this car. now on our '09 Ody with a huge interior volume then, yeah, absolutely justified. although my three year old complains about the rear system being too loud....

power tailgate? why, it's a small lid..... we have the power tailgate on our ody and it's so damn slow I can't stand waiting for it. easier to just open and close it by hand.

now if they add these things, do I care? not really, but please don't jack up the price because of them.

cargo lighting, I'll give you, I can't see anything back there at night......

6 speed AT, when it arrives I think you guys are going to realize that it isn't going to make much difference at all in mpg. many people I know that have 6at's complain to me that the dumb things are just shifting way too much, or way too soon etc.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 PM
big shot.

so since no one complains and or sits in your backseat, having the vents is a gimmick ? lol that argument is nonsense, why then do sedans have vents back there? pointless? thats right people dont feel the need to be hot or cold when they sit in the backseat, thats what windows are for...ventilation should be for all 4 passengers, especially in a decent sedan or any truck. I carry not only clients, but friends, all the time, and the number one thing they say is "get some air back here!!! where are the vents!!" its a classless move on Acura's part, and it makes the truck that much more middle class versus the competition, flat out, it should have them. the fact is is that for the people in front to feel nice, the vents neglect people in the back...if u r seriously going to argue this then i really cant continue without some more rational answer than "everyone in my car is fine" everyone is different.

I dont think theres anyhting MORE helpfull than having assistance with the tail gate, whether thats a hydro release that brings it to a full rise or power, theres gotta be an option back there, i constantly use my truck for carrying things, putting my crazy dog in the back, home depot runs, furniture, bike, skiis etc etc etc as im sure many other people due, and i constantly curse the RDX for not having any other way for me to open the fing hatch without having to put my shit down, or manuever stupidly, or flag someone down to hold something for me, or risk scratching or denting the rear of the car all because Acura feels we should not have it for the RDX, right.

cmon
Old 07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Instructor

sorry, I just don't ask for features in a car to meet the desires of whomever might be in my back seat. and as I said, I have never had anyone tell me they didn't have air in the back in any of the cars I've owned.

and yeah, put your crap down and open the back. what on earth have you ever done in your life without a power hatch?

cmon........................

go buy a benz then.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 PM
big shot.

dude - its not a power lift gate its called a trunk release, the power option would just be a plus

the vents in the back have as much to do with the comfort and conveince of whom ever may be travelling with me, but also as piece of mind for my 4yr old nephew, my dog whose still a puppy and afraid of the windows right now , again, everyone has differnt needs, for you to just toss to the side logical reasoning is a cop out.

put the crap down?? yea as simple as a Trunk relese would be on a key fob, it doesnt have it, and thats pathetic...yea lemme put my propane tank refills down a few more times, and my wood, and my lawn furniture, and my suitcases, and my clubs, and my athletic gear, and every other thing that weighs like 40, 50, 60 + lbs just so im not a lazy american and i can push a tiny rubber button underneath the license plate, all the while when im trying to hold onto my dog on a leash and watch my nephew and hold his hand etc etc etc etc ...god asking for a trunk release, i am such a lazy american who cannot do anything. u have to be kidding me...are you really saying a trunk pop/power lift gate is not helpful? Im glad the RDX is perfect for your (non) needs
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Instructor

dude............ I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I first saw on one a D3 A8L........ I too thought the power liftgate would be great if I had one, then I got one. and it's not that helpful. I was let down by it. and if you read my post... I said, ok add it, but I would not request it at all if there was any cost increase.............

our tsx had the release with the remote, didn't do much for us.

and yes, you do come across as too lazy to just open the thing, sorry. I can cart around my crap, three year old daughter and two month old son and I still don't need this.............

request what you wish, these fluff features with increased price will not sell this RDX owner a new one. keep the price down and the fluff features out, and I will.

we are two different buyers.

and no, the RDX is not perfect for me. I will not be keeping it beyond the lease, but it is not for these reasons.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 AM
big shot.

funny...everything that is lacking in the RDX, that could use a refresh, is exactly what they did for the 2010 MDX. Every possible angle refreshened, from suspension, to tranny, to engine, to INTERIOR, EXTERIOR, the whole ball of wax, without causing too much of a redesign. they just let the RDX slide by like nothing.

i cannot believe that you do not find value in something as simple, yet so effective as a trunk release. that is mind boggling to me.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
the rdx can't have rear HVAC b/c the center console is hollowed out for storage. the g37 coupe 6mt doesn't have it for the same reason.

i think the new rdx looks nice, it will grow on you when you see it in person like most cars.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 007acura
the rdx can't have rear hvac b/c the center console is hollowed out for storage. The g37 coupe 6mt doesn't have it for the same reason.

I think the new rdx looks nice, it will grow on you when you see it in person like most cars.
+1
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
so since no one complains and or sits in your backseat, having the vents is a gimmick ? lol that argument is nonsense, why then do sedans have vents back there? pointless? thats right people dont feel the need to be hot or cold when they sit in the backseat, thats what windows are for...ventilation should be for all 4 passengers, especially in a decent sedan or any truck. I carry not only clients, but friends, all the time, and the number one thing they say is "get some air back here!!! where are the vents!!" its a classless move on Acura's part, and it makes the truck that much more middle class versus the competition, flat out, it should have them. the fact is is that for the people in front to feel nice, the vents neglect people in the back...if u r seriously going to argue this then i really cant continue without some more rational answer than "everyone in my car is fine" everyone is different.

I dont think theres anyhting MORE helpfull than having assistance with the tail gate, whether thats a hydro release that brings it to a full rise or power, theres gotta be an option back there, i constantly use my truck for carrying things, putting my crazy dog in the back, home depot runs, furniture, bike, skiis etc etc etc as im sure many other people due, and i constantly curse the RDX for not having any other way for me to open the fing hatch without having to put my shit down, or manuever stupidly, or flag someone down to hold something for me, or risk scratching or denting the rear of the car all because Acura feels we should not have it for the RDX, right.

cmon
Amen....reah hatch and AC should be a must in a close to 40,000.00 CUV. PERIOD.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Mike, I usually agree with you, but I live in Dallas and the RDX does not need rear AC vents to keep my family comfortable. They would be cheap and easy to add though, by just eliminating the bottom section of the console storage.

A hatch release would be nice, but definitely something I really could use maybe once or twice per year at the very outside. Most of the time I am shopping I have a cart--so there is no need to put anything down. My suitcases are on rollers and are already on the ground as I approach the car. I can't remember the last time I had to set something down to load it. My wife is 5' 2" and she has no trouble putting the hatch down. I like not having to worry that I popped the hatch with the keyfob in my pocket as I walk away from the car.

I wonder if the hatch debate is more about climate--it rarely rains here and we are never standing in a snow storm, so the extra few seconds to lift the hatch just don't seem significant to us.

Last edited by brizey; 07-31-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Ukrainian RDX

I'd prefer factory TypeS option.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
I wanted a V-6 option with the RDX. The 3.5L or even the old TL 3.2L engine would be a great option for this CUV. Maybe the next gen will have this option. A V-6 would get the same or better mpgs and acceleration compared to the 2.3L turbo.

I think sometimes people forget that Acura is a Luxury brand. This means give us a bunch of stuff we don't need but love to have. It seems a lot of the luxury features in Acura can be also found on Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc.. When I read my car magazines, I don’t think they consider Acura a luxury brand, only a near luxury brand (like Ford/Mercury). They always exclude Acura when comparing Luxury sedan/SUV and they compare Acura to cheaper entry level luxury or to GM/Mazda limited models.

The supercharged Audi, Caddy CTS or Infiniti G37 are starting to look very enticing compared to the new TL. (I still can’t get over the buck tooth Acura grille).
Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I think sometimes people forget that Acura is a Luxury brand. This means give us a bunch of stuff we don't need but love to have. It seems a lot of the luxury features in Acura can be also found on Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc.. When I read my car magazines, I don’t think they consider Acura a luxury brand, only a near luxury brand (like Ford/Mercury). They always exclude Acura when comparing Luxury sedan/SUV and they compare Acura to cheaper entry level luxury or to GM/Mazda limited models.
well yea, i mean, i dont forget its a lux brand, the proof is in the pudding, and in alot of their models, theres no pudding. I think its very reasonable to compare Acura to more midline brands because they are actually comparable. A maxima should be compared to the TL, the TSX - well i dunno seems lost in the abyss should it be compared to the Accord? The cars they make dictate what we think of them, as far as im concerned, just because its an 'Acura', doesnt really mean anything, its all based on the product. The only real lux vehicles they make are the RL and MDX, maybe the TL, imo. I think a Maxima and Murano are alot more lux than the comparable Acura models.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
big shot.

notwithstanding, i think Acuras vehicles are great, good buys, great value, simplistic, but they by no means offer what many many other non-lux companies offer.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMike1981
notwithstanding, i think Acuras vehicles are great, good buys, great value, simplistic, but they by no means offer what many many other non-lux companies offer.
And the price usually reflects that. Which is good.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Racer

Thumbs down

Front & rear fascia looks terrible. I'll stick with my '07 thanks!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Racer

Looks like it was designed by GM or Ford; sooo fugly. And no color other than red, everything else is just a shades between black and white. Hope it gets better by the time I trade in my 07' RDX 2-3 years from now.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 PM
big shot.

i was thinking about it...and not so sure Acura would pop a V6 into the RDX with a restyle. I think a reworked turbo would be more expectable. It took only a year for the new TSX to get a new powerplant...by now, if it were even possible or likely, I think the RDX would have had a V6..theres plenty of Honda engines that could have made their way under the hood by now. I just cant see Honda/Acura scrapping the Turbo after 1 go at it...the Hybrid Accord scrap was a different story all together, but just dont see this engine dying out soon...a revised turbo with better MPG, a better tune/more performance imo is what would come (if the RDX makes it to a new model)
Old 08-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
IF I could choose only a single feature to add to my RDX, it'd be a button to pop the hatch. It really makes a lot of difference, and far more useful than rain sensing wipers, auto headlamps or rear seat vents. I think you can get it added aftermarket, anyone tried it?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

#1 complaint is the beak...was told by the dealer you can swap out the grill and one from an 07-09 would fit right in

my main complaint is power---even the volvo xc60 is faster

Quick Reply: What do you dislike most about the 2010 RDX