What bike rack do you use on your RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What bike rack do you use on your RDX?

I've installed this DrawTite hitch on my RDX:
http://www.etrailer.com/productdetai...rfrom=2007&h=e

I was going to buy the bike rack online too, but the (very helpful) customer service woman advised me against it, as she told me I should be sure that the bike rack shank would be long enough to clear the bumper.

So I decided to go get the bike rack in a local bike shop.
I tried this one from Thule:
http://www.thuleracks.com/product.as..._id=22&sku=912

And... it doesn't quite clear the bumper
It sits touching against the bumper, so I decided that wasn't right (afraid of denting/scratching my bumper).

Long story to ask this quick question:
What hitch/bike rack did you get for your RDX and does the rack clear the bumper just fine?

thanks!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Racer

The new platform-style racks work much better than the old clamp-the-top-tube racks. I have a cheap one from Performance that works well and fits the RDX without a hitch extender.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...5&item=40-3559

Name:  xport-1.jpg
Views: 4536
Size:  89.7 KB
Name:  xport-2.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  98.2 KB
Old 09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

I have the some one as johnny99. My only complaint is the rack rocks a little from left to right when you drive over a bumpy road or over railroad tracks. As long as you position the pedals correctly there are no concerns about the inside bike hitting the back of the car.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by grooks1
I have the some one as johnny99. My only complaint is the rack rocks a little from left to right when you drive over a bumpy road or over railroad tracks. As long as you position the pedals correctly there are no concerns about the inside bike hitting the back of the car.
Try tightening the hitch bolt a little more to reduce vibrations.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:55 PM
10th Gear

I have the Thule T2 (http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916). I have ordered a 2" receiver hitch from etrailer.com along with an extension that I understand I will need from this discussion (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850). I loved the bike rack and look forward to being able to use it on my RDX.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bcarroll
I have the Thule T2 (http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916). I have ordered a 2" receiver hitch from etrailer.com along with an extension that I understand I will need from this discussion (https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850). I loved the bike rack and look forward to being able to use it on my RDX.
I'm wondering if you'll need the extender...

The Thule rack I tried at the bike shop (TH912), which would only work with an extender (which they didn't have there) has this spec listed at etrailer.com:
"Measures 10-1/2" from center of pin hole to upright bar of bike carrier."

Now the rack you have TH916/917 has this spec on etrailer.com:
"Measures 18" from the center of the hitch pin hole to the closest bike carrier rail"

Unfortunately they don't have the TH917 in stock around where I live.
I'd appreciate it if you can post back here and let us know which hitch you got from etrailer.com and how it worked with your TH916 and if you needed the extender.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 AM
10th Gear

The hitch I ordered is a 2" receiver hitch from Hidden Hitch (87449). It is back-ordered so it may be another two weeks before I get it, but I'll post my experience when I get it.

According to another poster in the thread mentioned in my earlier post, the Thule T2 touched the back of the RDX when it was folded up (holding no bikes) without an extender. I went ahead and ordered the extender based on this thread and the fact that I could get it with the hitch at minimal shipping charges. If it turns out I don't need it, I'll find a way to return it or sell it.

I've used my Thule T2 for over a year now and really like it.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

johnny
first off like the bike ;-)
next, i found this one from the same company. can you doubble check to make sure its good?
also, how easy is it to access the trunk with it on?
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4411
Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bcarroll
The hitch I ordered is a 2" receiver hitch from Hidden Hitch (87449). It is back-ordered so it may be another two weeks before I get it, but I'll post my experience when I get it.

According to another poster in the thread mentioned in my earlier post, the Thule T2 touched the back of the RDX when it was folded up (holding no bikes) without an extender. I went ahead and ordered the extender based on this thread and the fact that I could get it with the hitch at minimal shipping charges. If it turns out I don't need it, I'll find a way to return it or sell it.

I've used my Thule T2 for over a year now and really like it.
I could not get this rack to work without the extender. Check my thread here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175

It appears you have the (916) 2" model. My T2 was the (917) 1 1/4" model. Back when I got my Hidden Hitch they did not make a 2" hitch for the RDX. So, it appears the 2" T2 (916) will work without the extender (assuming you have a 2" hitch). Do you have pictures with the rack folded up? This is where I had the problem with mine.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ejkhabibi
johnny
first off like the bike ;-)
next, i found this one from the same company. can you doubble check to make sure its good?
also, how easy is it to access the trunk with it on?
Your link is invalid.

In general, I can say that racks that hold your bike by the wheels instead of by the frame are much better. This includes racks like the Thule T2 and Saris Thelma. Godo quality hitch racks will have a fold-down feature so you can access the trunk fairly easily (if there are no bikes on the rack).
Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Advanced

I have the Performance Xport rack too. But instead of the 'bed' style that holds the bike by the tires, I have the style that holds the bike at the frame.

It fits well with my Hidden Hitch.

I haven't really used it offroad, but it's fine for smooth driving at least.

It folds down (when the bike is not on it) so you can access the trunk easily.

It's not the prettiest looking bike rack the world, but who cares. Hopefully everyone is too busy admiring my bike to notice the ugly rack.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sl_33
I have the Performance Xport rack too. But instead of the 'bed' style that holds the bike by the tires, I have the style that holds the bike at the frame.

It fits well with my Hidden Hitch.

I haven't really used it offroad, but it's fine for smooth driving at least.

It folds down (when the bike is not on it) so you can access the trunk easily.

It's not the prettiest looking bike rack the world, but who cares. Hopefully everyone is too busy admiring my bike to notice the ugly rack.
Did you need a hitch extender for the rack? I have a Hidden Hitch as well and looking at getting the Thule 914 Bikerack but think I need a hitch extender. Let me know. Do you have a direct link to the rack you have?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Did you need a hitch extender for the rack? I have a Hidden Hitch as well and looking at getting the Thule 914 Bikerack but think I need a hitch extender. Let me know. Do you have a direct link to the rack you have?
No hitch extender necessary for the Hidden Hitch/Performance Xport combo. I have a 1 1/4" hitch, by the way (not that it matters). The rack comes with an adapter for both size hitches. Best of all, the rack is about as cheap as you're going to find. I don't bike that often so it's not that important to me. If I were going to use a rack more frequently, I'd consider spending extra money for a nicer one.

From what I've read, the Thule racks require an extender but I don't know from personal experience.

If the link doesn't work, it's the "Performance Xport Free Loader 3 bike Universal Hitch Rack"
Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I got a 1 1/4 Yakima Big Horn 4 and it clears no problem.

.http://yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/p...4-(1-1-4).aspx
Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Racer

If you have a nice bike, be careful of bike racks that clamps to the bike frame. The clamp tends to pick up grit and dirt that can sandpaper through your bike's finish, especially if the rack allows the bike to rotate slightly in the clamp. You need to keep the rack (and bike) immaculately clean to avoid this problem. This happened to my mountain bike with a previous rack, though that bike was so beat up by rocks and trees that more missing paint wasn't a big deal.

The newer bike racks clamp only to the tires and wheels or fork to avoid this problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a SportWorks rack. My RDX came with the factory 1-1/4" hitch which I replaced with a 2" hitch. The 2" hitch is recessed father under the car than any I've ever owned and I have some ball mounts that will not work with it (the ball ends up too close to the bumper). Nonetheless, I have no clearance issues with a bike on the rack. The rack will not swing up to its retracted position while it is on the car, however.

https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/13356/

Joe
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed a 2" Hidden Hitch on my RDX this morning and spent a few hours today looking at two racks that I found promising.

First I went and looked at the 2" Saris Thelma that has been talked about before and test fitted it. I don't know if previous purchasers had looked at the 1 1/4" version or the 2" version, but the 2" version needs an extender. It fits fine in the down position without an extender, but I didn't test it with a bike on it. It does not fit in the "up" position (the position you would put it in for traveling without bikes) without an extender, though.. Even placing it on the "outside" bolt hole, the rack presses against the trunk/hatch lid and the locking pin won't reinsert to keep it in the up position. Since I want to have a simple install I didn't want to have to deal with an extender so I ruled it out, though it does look like a nice rack overall. I also didn't like the hard plastic straps that it uses when other racks use soft rubber straps, but that wouldn't have swayed my decision if that was the only thing I didn't like about it (mainly because the straps only contact the inside of the wheel rather than the finished bike frame on the Thelma - but their hard plastic nature makes them less able to stretch to make a tighter fit).

I then went and looked at a Softride Access Dura rack. It's a 4-bike "hang from the top tube" rack, but it has a nice long hitch arm on the 2" version such that I was pleased to find that it can be installed without an extender. Judging from the instructions, the 1 1/4" version is just the 2" version with an extra bar that attaches to the 2" bar and extends further out so it should have even greater clearance. It also has a really nice feature to swing it out of the way of the hatch - you pull a spring-loaded pin and it swings out and down parallel to the ground so that none of the bikes touch the ground, even with a full load. It's a very sturdy rack and it comes with a locking threaded hitch bolt which cinches it into the hitch very tightly - no rattling or swaying at all.

The company just released an even lighter Element rack which looks promising. It has the same parallelogram swingaway feature, but it looks lighter, cheaper, and the arms swing down when not in use. One problem with the Dura is that the arms don't swing so you have to remove them (and stow them) when not in use. It's easy to detach them, but swinging down provides a nice alternative to having to find a place to put them. I might have gotten it if there was a dealer with them in stock around here (I could only find one dealer with any Softride stock and it was 30 miles away and they only had the Dura).

I'm bummed that the Dura I bought is a top tube rack as I like the concept of the platform racks and my bike has a lot of control wires running along the top tube, but I also might occasionally go biking (rather nature geocaching) with 2 friends so the ability to hold more than 2 bikes was nice.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by sl_33
No hitch extender necessary for the Hidden Hitch/Performance Xport combo. I have a 1 1/4" hitch, by the way (not that it matters). The rack comes with an adapter for both size hitches. Best of all, the rack is about as cheap as you're going to find. I don't bike that often so it's not that important to me. If I were going to use a rack more frequently, I'd consider spending extra money for a nicer one.
Thanks for the feedback sl_33. Yeah the Thule I have is fine. The lever that allows me to lower the rack to access the trunk is just touching the bumper but that's it. So technically it does clear the bumper but only by a hair's length. It can sometimes rub a little on the bumber but has not left any permanent markings (yet!). I'm keeping an eye on it though. Overall I'm happy with the Hidden Hitch and the Thule Bike rack I got...the Roadway 914.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by phoward_15
Thanks for the feedback sl_33. Yeah the Thule I have is fine. The lever that allows me to lower the rack to access the trunk is just touching the bumper but that's it. So technically it does clear the bumper but only by a hair's length. It can sometimes rub a little on the bumber but has not left any permanent markings (yet!). I'm keeping an eye on it though. Overall I'm happy with the Hidden Hitch and the Thule Bike rack I got...the Roadway 914.
What about using a bit of felt on the rack where it comes close to the bumper? That might make things worse by increasing the pressure, though.

Or a piece of the invisible-bra material (or the material that the RDX bumper applique is made out of) on the bumper?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Pro

Good idea flar. I can look into some of that material. Since the lever is just touching the bumper I probably have no room to add anything. However I could just add some electric tape or masking tape when I attach the hitch and then remove it when I'm done with it. Then the minor rubbing would only occur on the tape and not the bumper. Thanks for those suggestions.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't fold up my Sportworks rack either so I just don't fold it up. I don't leave the rack on the car when I'm not bicycling anyway. As for using an 1-1/4" rack with an adapter, I went with the 2" version because the 1-1/4" racks flex too much for my liking (any of my bikes would cost more than $3500 to replace) . This was the whole reason I went with a 2" hitch, to use the 2" rack (I have several of the adapters but would only use them as a last resort). I would NEVER put 4 bikes on an 1-1/4" rack, or even consider purchasing a 4 bike 1-1/4" rack. I would never go back to a conventional rack that hangs bikes by the frame, either. Any bike with a frame that is not conventional (no front triangle, like many high-end MTBs) becomes a challenge, and the finish on the frame gets hammered over time as well. I have found that every bike I have carried (so far) with my SportWorks has 2 wheels in approximately the same location, so they have all just dropped in without any drama, and take 30 seconds to cinch down. I just hope none of my friends ever take up unicycling.

Joe
Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

I also have the sportworks T2 rack. I usually use it w/o an extender and do not fold it up. But if I go on a weekend trip somewhere, then I'll bolt on the extender so I can fold it up when the bikes aren't on it.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wondering if anyone has installed one of these:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-SR25863.htm

The etrailer.com guys said they have been selling a lot of them and that it's nice because you can tilt down with the bikes on to open the hatch.

I was wondering how much of a pain it is to remove from the hitch each time with the threaded bolt as I don't plan on leaving it in place when I'm not going to ride. So likely be doing that 3X per week...

Any other recommendations? I ordered a Hidden Hitch (2") that is coming this week so I'm hoping to get a rack this week as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Racer

If you have a nice bike, the platform-style racks that hold your bike by the wheels instead of by the frame will be much gentler on the bike. The racks that grab the bike by the top tube tend to grind through the bike's paint.

The Saris Thelma is a very lightweight platform-style rack that is easy to install and remove. The Thule T2 is a sturdier rack, but harder to install/remove because it is much heavier.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 PM
3rd Gear

Has anyone gone with the Thule 934XT Hitching Post Pro Hitch or similar?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_31507
Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by fan22
Has anyone gone with the Thule 934XT Hitching Post Pro Hitch or similar?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_31507
I have the Thule 914 Roadway which looks similar to the one you've posted above.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 PM
10th Gear

Valley Hitch + Yakima Double Down (4 Bikes)

Installed today. Seems to work fine.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Racer

Can you take a couple shots straight on from the back with and without the bike rack on?

I'd really like to see how that Valley Hitch looks compared to a hidden hitch.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
1st Gear

thanks everyone, this thread had a lot of valuable info for me. i'm in the market for a new bike rack and am looking at hitch racks. i hadn't looked at the tray racks, but now i definitely will.

both hitch extenders (get bike further away from bumper) and hitch adapters (go from 1.25 to 2" and vice versa) could help get the right fit. i found some options for both here: http://www.bikerackshops.com/grouphitchadapters.html.

i also found a hitch rack clearance comparison chart that shows the clearance for many of the major brands. it can be found at http://www.bikerackshops.com/comparisonhitch.html.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Racer

Valley 2inch hitch with the SportRack2 from etrailer.

Looks great, easy to use and no extenders or anything needed.

NOT too expensive either...everything for around $300!!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
Wondering if anyone has installed one of these:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-SR25863.htm

The etrailer.com guys said they have been selling a lot of them and that it's nice because you can tilt down with the bikes on to open the hatch.

I was wondering how much of a pain it is to remove from the hitch each time with the threaded bolt as I don't plan on leaving it in place when I'm not going to ride. So likely be doing that 3X per week...

Any other recommendations? I ordered a Hidden Hitch (2") that is coming this week so I'm hoping to get a rack this week as well.
Sorry, I didn't see this until now, but I had talked about this very rack about 4 or 5 posts up from yours.

It is not that painful to put on and take off with the threaded bolt. You do have to thread it, but it's all of a minute or two to get it on and off, just not "pull a lever and slide out" convenient. It also comes with a locking collar for theft prevention.

Last year I rode around with the hitch installed all the time even though I was only using it for bikes every other weekend or so. It is very easy to tilt out of the way of the hatch (just pull the pin and slide it down and out of the way) so if you are going to be using it 3x per week I'd just go with the "install it at the beginning of bike season and remove it at the end" strategy and this rack works very well for that...
Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
10th Gear

2" Valley Hitch and 1UpUSA hitch

I originally had a 1 1/4" Hidden Hitch installed. Because it was so far recessed, I was unable to use my existing hitch (Thule Double Track) and most other hitches without an hitch extender. I found that the Saris CycleOn worked (I was able to try one at a store), but I was disappointed in that my options were limited. Instead, I "upgraded" to a 2" Valley Hitch after reading forums on this site. That hitch is much less recessed and opened up many more possibilities. For one, I was able to use my Thule (it comes with a 2" adaptor). But I ended up opting for a 1UpUsa rack. It's well made from aluminum. It has a great design too - you can have the rack on the RDX and the bikes secured in seconds - no joking! It also has the advantage that you can use from 1-4 trays (that hold the bike tires) as needed, meaning that you don't have to lug a monstrosity around just to haul a single bike. The only drawback I can think of is expense (it's not cheap), but this thing should last a long time. It's by far the best rack I've used. Check it out their website.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

Have a 2009 RDX. Need help with a bike rack that can hold 2 road bikes. Need it to be minimal space in the back, live in NYC and park in a garage and do not want them to charge me more.
any ideas?
thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 03:07 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by snsum
Have a 2009 RDX. Need help with a bike rack that can hold 2 road bikes. Need it to be minimal space in the back, live in NYC and park in a garage and do not want them to charge me more.
any ideas?
thanks
Kuat NV!!