Valet Key

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valet Key

Is it possible to have a valet style(meaning no FOB) key made for the RDX which locks the cener console and glove box.

Basically replacing the brick with just a fully fucntional regualr key? I know - no keyless entry - but I only want to put it on my other vehicle key ring so I don't have to carry that brick every where i go.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hurl03
Is it possible to have a valet style(meaning no FOB) key made for the RDX which locks the cener console and glove box.

Basically replacing the brick with just a fully fucntional regualr key? I know - no keyless entry - but I only want to put it on my other vehicle key ring so I don't have to carry that brick every where i go.

Thanks!
Hmmm....interesting. I got one with my car. It came with 2 fob keys, and a standard valet key. So not only do I think it's possible, but it sounds like you got ripped...

Mike
Old 02-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Didn't you receive a valet key when you bought your RDX? Mine came with two fob keys and a valet key. If you need an additional valet key, then I'm pretty sure your dealership could make one for you for a fee.

I know when I bought my Honda Prelude used, they only had one key and I wanted a spare and the only place I could find that could do it was a dealership and that was before all the chips and stuff that they put in them now. I think it was about $10.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
If I'm reading you right (which means the last 3 posts weren't), you cannot get a valet key that will lock the center console and glove box. The valet key works because it is slightly thicker than the key holes it is not allowed to unlock.

You could however get another valet key and grind it down to make it thin enough to work.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got 2 valet keys with my purchase. However, they ONLY work in the ignition and door locks - they do NOT unlock the center console.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by catnippants
Hmmm....interesting. I got one with my car. It came with 2 fob keys, and a standard valet key. So not only do I think it's possible, but it sounds like you got ripped...

Mike
I also got two key fobs and a standard valet key.

But what I am asking is if it's possible to just get a key made, without the brick of a key fob, which will work the doors, ignition glove box and center console.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by catnippants

Mike

But what I am asking is if it's possible to just get a key made, without the brick of a key fob, which will work the doors, ignition glove box and center console.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:57 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by black label
If I'm reading you right (which means the last 3 posts weren't), you cannot get a valet key that will lock the center console and glove box. The valet key works because it is slightly thicker than the key holes it is not allowed to unlock.

You could however get another valet key and grind it down to make it thin enough to work.
So after read your post I went out to the car and both the valet key and the fob fit in the center console and golve box. With that said - there is a minor difference on the cut between the valet and FOB.

So they should be able to take the key fob and copy that on to the valet blank - it should work fine. I just made an appt for Tuesday - will let you know how it works out.

This would also solve my problem of getting a remote start and not wanting to have two remotes, or losing the ability to unlock the doors once the car is started - if i used the facotry remote as some have reported on this site.

If I can get a regular key with no fob and just use the aftermarket remote for the doors, starter and panic button - i will be good to go.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Answer is Yes

I had an extra regular key (no fob) made when I bought my RDX. It works with the doors, ignition, glove box and center console. The dealer had a problem making the key initially because they had to use a new laser key cutter and the programming wasn't working correctly (they used my key as the guinea pig to check out their new laser cutter). Had to come back a week later after they got the programming fixed to get the key made. It works just fine.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:30 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
So after read your post I went out to the car and both the valet key and the fob fit in the center console and golve box. With that said - there is a minor difference on the cut between the valet and FOB.

So they should be able to take the key fob and copy that on to the valet blank - it should work fine. I just made an appt for Tuesday - will let you know how it works out.

This would also solve my problem of getting a remote start and not wanting to have two remotes, or losing the ability to unlock the doors once the car is started - if i used the facotry remote as some have reported on this site.

If I can get a regular key with no fob and just use the aftermarket remote for the doors, starter and panic button - i will be good to go.
Sorry. They must have updated their methods now that they have moved on to the switchblade key. The old fashioned valet keys used to be thicker.