Ups and Downs of 1st Day ownership

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ups and Downs of 1st Day ownership

Ups:
Picked up our RDX last night; there was much rejoicing. Coming from a Mazda P5, the RDX handles great, has gobs of power, and the interior is pure beauty and delight.

HIDs are pretty cool. Lots techno wizardry to learn.

I'm looking forward to many a road-trip in this beast!

Neutral:
The RDX is bigger than our previous whip, so it takes a bit of getting used to when parking. Trying to get out of my condo spot yesterday was a bit of a farce. I used to just back out and swing the front end around, avoiding concrete pole and parked cars behind me. The same goal turned into a 10 point maneuver while the guy in the spot behind me waited to get into his car. I must have looked like a complete idiot. Pretty funny the next day though.

I'm sure I'll get used to it over time... just taking it very easy for now.

Downs:
One of our friends, in their excitement to see our new car, opened the passenger door into a metal post. The car had been in our possession for a total of 5 hours. This resulted in two small nicks in the trailing edge of our door, one on the metal and one on the plastic (at the bottom). Fortunately, they are not obvious when the door is closed, but now I will not be able to focus my mind until I get some touch-up paint and repair it. I am not mad at our friend because it happened, I am only frustrated that it happened so soon...

Though not as bad as getting rear ended (as per the other fellow), it does spoil an otherwise perfect day of thrill and excitement...
Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Most autoparts stores sell door edge protectors that easilly slip on and protect the door edges from damage as you described. They sell for about $3 each door, some in color. The Acura dealers sell some type of clear door edge, but it is expensive.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Yeah, sometimes I wince when friends come over to see a new car.....
Old 01-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

I got my RDX last night as well.

Good thing is if you kill of your friend, you can easily fit him in the back of the RDX to dispose of the evidence

You should back into your condo spot to make it much easier to pull out of it.

Car is great. I was driving a BMW M3 before this. So not as fast, but much more peppy than my wife's new MDX she got last week.

I still have not had time to look over the manual or play around with the car's features too much. Hope to get better acquainted tonight.

Rorie
Old 01-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Rorie - Congrats on your purchase!

I've already started to back into my spot after yesterday's "incident"... it's much easier, but access to the hatch is more difficult when we need to load / unload stuff. Oh well...

I picked up my touch-up paint at lunch and spent a bit of time setting the "customizable features" such as when the doors lock, when the lights shut off, etc. Also took some time to program numbers into the "phonebook"...

Damn I love this car!

Looked at the "damage" again as well, and it's so minor that you wouldn't notice unless I specifically pointed it out.... I guess I just needed time to get over the initial shock...
Old 01-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skeandhu
I picked up my touch-up paint at lunch and spent a bit of time setting the "customizable features" such as when the doors lock, when the lights shut off, etc. Also took some time to program numbers into the "phonebook"...
A little off topic, but you mentioned this and it brought it to my frontal lobe... I always had my RDX set to unlock the doors when I put it in park, but just today last night I noticed that the tailgate is no longer unlocking automatically, and just this afternoon I noticed that the doors are not unlocking either. Somehow it reset itself as I haven't been in the menus....
Old 01-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair
A little off topic, but you mentioned this and it brought it to my frontal lobe... I always had my RDX set to unlock the doors when I put it in park, but just today last night I noticed that the tailgate is no longer unlocking automatically, and just this afternoon I noticed that the doors are not unlocking either. Somehow it reset itself as I haven't been in the menus....
my tailgate also doesn't open when I park the car, though I think the doors still do.

How do I set things (with a base system)?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

the base model instructions are on page 137 of the owners manual.... It involves putting the key in a position, turning it one way, pressing a pedal all while jumping up and down on one foot...
Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sasair
the base model instructions are on page 137 of the owners manual.... It involves putting the key in a position, turning it one way, pressing a pedal all while jumping up and down on one foot...
Does the manual indicate which foot?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rorie
I
Good thing is if you kill of your friend, you can easily fit him in the back of the RDX to dispose of the evidence

Rorie
Old 01-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I turned auto unlock off. I've never liked it when cars are put into park and all the doors unlock. What if I am in a bad area? What if I am just stopping to wait for someone?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by creativeguy
I turned auto unlock off. I've never liked it when cars are put into park and all the doors unlock. What if I am in a bad area? What if I am just stopping to wait for someone?
Well then you put the car in park and hit the lock button. Its meant as a convenience feature for your circumstances MOST of the time. If I lived in a bad neighborhood or visited a bad neighborhood on a daily basis, then I too would have the auto unlock turned off. But if 98% of the time I am in a safe area, then I rather have the doors unlock all at once. before I set my car to auto unlock in park, I used to always walk to the back of the vehicle to unload something while the vehicle is running, and it is locked, so I have to go back into the vehicle to unlock it. it got to be a pain.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Racer

So if I put the car in park (doors unlock), then turn off the car and lock the doors, won't the alarm set? Would I have to put the car in park and then relock before turning off the engine to avoid setting the alarm?

At a certain point, the automated features become an annoyance rather than a helper.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

but if you're in a bad neighborhood where you'd lock the doors after they auto unlocked, what's wrong with the alarm arming? you can always unlock it using the remote and get out normally. you're not gonna set the alarm off by just sitting in there.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Instructor

It seems as if theres as many Toronto owners on here as there are from everywhere else combined.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by omgacuralol
It seems as if theres as many Toronto owners on here as there are from everywhere else combined.
It's cuz we rock

Although I haven't seen many RDXs around...
Old 01-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Instructor

well... earlier today before driving to the train station. I backed up thinking there wasn't a car parked behind me and ran up the cars' license plate. I got two deep nicks plus a dark scrape from the plate frame.

I have a backup camera but didn't even look. =(

Better knowing it was me who's responsible instead of waking up to see the new scratch left from someone else.