Turbo Lag ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007 | 11:11 AM
Cruisin'

Turbo Lag ....

I have seen several posts where the turbo lag in the RDX is brought up as an issue for some. I agree that it can be annoying, definitely from a stop but I am getting more used to driving it. I personally am not used to driving turbo cars, especially a 4 cyl and prefer more off the line power/torque available. But I lve the RDX.

The bottom line for us RDX owners is that we own a 4 cylinder in a 3,900 pound vehicle, no way out of that. And until the turbo spools up, at about 2,500 RPM and approx 20 feet ... that's all we got. But after that ... woo hoo!

I first got into cars in the 80's ... I know, I know ... long time ago, when it was V8 all the way! Until the Grand National came to town (V6 231 ci turbo). I have driven those, even ones that were modified and they were still a V6 off the line, until the turbo spooled, then the car would spin the back tires from 20 mph up to 40 and moved through the 1/4 mile in 11.9 seconds.

So there is not much way out of the turbo lag reality. However, my girlfriend has an '07 VW GTI with the 200hp 4-cyl turbo. Same deal with lag ... but not as bad as the RDX. Why? Could be tuning/ECU configuration, could be weight. But I know one thing that is noticeably different, it has much lower 1st and 2nd gearing than the RDX. The GTI revs out of 1st gear QUICK. It also has a 6-speed auto, so it can have a broader range of gearing from 1st to 6th ... keeping gearing low in the lower gears (helps performance and turbo spool up) and high in the higher gears (keeping revs low for at higher speeds). Having a lower overall gearing in 1st would allow the engine to reach higher RPM's quicker .... thereby allowing the turbo to spool quicker. I would love to see Acura add a 6-speed auto tranny to the RDX!

Anyway, sorry for the long thread ....

Steve
Old 08-10-2007 | 09:51 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

If I post a bunch of graphs showing you how flat the torque curve is - would you feel better ?

For comparison - Mrs. Rizzo has an '05 Benz 230K (her choice) = 1.8L 4cyl with a supercharger and intercooler. The supercharger has a lot more grunt off the line, but it falls off fast as the RPM's rise. The RDX is the opposite, as you point out. Once the boost fully kicks in....stand by!

I like the car, but it does have some gimmicks - one is the 4 cyl engine...the other is the 5.1 surround sound. So long as you keep an open mind it's a lot of fun.
Old 08-10-2007 | 10:13 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Rizzo - did you not play a DVD-A in the ELS system? The 5.1 surround sound is no gimmick. It is amazing.
The engine might be 'unconventional', but there is no disputing that it is an amazing little engine.
Old 08-11-2007 | 10:12 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by XIS
Rizzo - did you not play a DVD-A in the ELS system? The 5.1 surround sound is no gimmick. It is amazing.
The engine might be 'unconventional', but there is no disputing that it is an amazing little engine.
No, it's a gimmick (IMHO). I have about 15 DVD-A's and "surround sound" in a car is not a good idea.
You are correct - the engine is amazing for what it is.

I guess it's a fine line between a "gimmick" and "tech" - depends on your age !
Old 08-11-2007 | 10:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
No, it's a gimmick (IMHO). I have about 15 DVD-A's and "surround sound" in a car is not a good idea.
You are correct - the engine is amazing for what it is.

I guess it's a fine line between a "gimmick" and "tech" - depends on your age !
Yeah it all comes down to personal preference. I am a huge audiophile so to me having the highest quality music is important. My dad has the TL and MDX and the TL has the 5.1 surround sound. We did a couple of tests between the same CDs but one which was 5.1 and the other normal and I could definitely tell the difference.

I can't wait to get my RDX so I can listen to this type of music all the time. And now that iTunes has started to provide higher quality files to download for $1.99 the sound system will only sound better.
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:42 AM
boostin'

I love the engine and the performance with the turbo, I just don't like the gas mileage, but I suppose that's the trade-off for the performance
Acura should think about putting this engine in the next TSX, it should have better MPG in that car with the weight, and the TSX needs the power! I use to own a TSX, and my really only complaint with the car was the lack of power
Old 08-14-2007 | 11:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX REX
I love the engine and the performance with the turbo, I just don't like the gas mileage, but I suppose that's the trade-off for the performance
Acura should think about putting this engine in the next TSX, it should have better MPG in that car with the weight, and the TSX needs the power! I use to own a TSX, and my really only complaint with the car was the lack of power
Acura should install the entire RDX powertrain in the new TSX. If that happens I'll buy one.

William